Vertical Leg Press?

I think i win this thread : )

LOL I actually own one of these bad boys- I’ve had it for almost 20 years. My how time flys.

It really works the glutes/hams (if you push through your heels).

fwiw- don’t substitute these for squats if you dont have to. : )

[quote]B3 wrote:

LOL I actually own one of these bad boys- I’ve had it for almost 20 years. My how time flys.

[/quote]

Wow! Me too and my clients love it! I think they like the change from squatting 1-3 times per week all year long!

My “bench” is angled and the two angles (turning the bench around) are worlds apart. One feels like all glute/hams and the standard position feels like all quads.

Plus you can do toe presses for the calves, put a high bench under it and do presses, reverse-grip presses, close-grip presses etc., etc.

And in case anyone doesn’t already know this, 300 lbs pushed vertically is much “heavier” that 300 lbs pushed at 45 degrees all else being equal.

Someone here must know the sine/cosine crap to figure it out.

[quote]derek wrote:
B3 wrote:

Wow! Me too and my clients love it! I think they like the change from squatting 1-3 times per week all year long!

My “bench” is angled and the two angles (turning the bench around) are worlds apart. One feels like all glute/hams and the standard position feels like all quads.

Plus you can do toe presses for the calves, put a high bench under it and do presses, reverse-grip presses, close-grip presses etc., etc.

And in case anyone doesn’t already know this, 300 lbs pushed vertically is much “heavier” that 300 lbs pushed at 45 degrees all else being equal.

[/quote]

Beautiful post Derek!

Cheers!

And again, for guys like Derek and myself, the thing takes up half the space of a traditional angled sled easily, which is really nice.

[quote]Lift and Eat wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
I’ve seen someone do those on a smith machine, they put the bar in the arch of there shoe. It was interesting!

^ I think I’d call that dangerous instead of interesting :slight_smile: I’ve also seen someone do that and I used to pray it didn’t slip and land on his chest!

OP: Wow I haven’t seen one of those since I first started training. I started in a gym that was used by a local weightlifting club and they had one of these leg presses. It felt good to use, but was a bugger to get out from underneath if you failed as it came all the way down and had no safety catches![/quote]

Not really dangerous if it has catches like the one at our gym. These newer catches don’t just stop the weight, they actually rotate the handle so that the main hooks snag the next available setting.

A trainer at our gym did them from time to time (he was 300+ lbs and good legs so he could do whatever he wanted) and I tried them once. Not a bad move but a little rough on my knees (previous injury). Anyway you set the safety catches just below your stopping point and use an ab mat or something for the floor.

I recall the original old school ones from my very first gym in the 80’s but never used it.

Wanna talk about unsafe Leg Presses?

[quote]derek wrote:
[/quote]

haha damn! i wanna know HOW he got the weight up there? he must’ve had something on either side so he could slide under it right???

Oh and for the guys who have the vertical press machine, must be a bitch taking all the weights on and off…just a thought i had…

[quote]passionhawaii wrote:
derek wrote:

haha damn! i wanna know HOW he got the weight up there? he must’ve had something on either side so he could slide under it right???

Oh and for the guys who have the vertical press machine, must be a bitch taking all the weights on and off…just a thought i had…[/quote]

Yeah, if you thought people leaving weight on the standard leg press was bad, it pales in comparison to the gyms that I’ve been to that had a vertical leg press.

I remember back at my high school we had this machine…I have a home gym so I don’t get out very much to visit other gyms so sorry if this is a dumb question…

but is this machine still around and in use? is a standing squat equivalent to this machine?[/quote]

Just in case no one has already stated this; the vertical leg press works mostly your glutes because of the extreme bend in the hips. It is also very hard on the lower back because of this as well.

It all depends on the angle your back is at (the angle of the bench).

When I use mine head-low, it hits quads as your knee flexes much more- much greater than 90 degrees- than the head-high position.

In the head-high position, it’s much like a heels-high 45 degree leg press with your toes off the top lip in that your knees flex less-not quite to 90 degrees- but the femur-pelvis angle changes greatly.

You’re right about the low back. That’s why we squat most of the time and use the leg press every so often. I do NOT like what happens to the lumbar spine at the bottom on the movement.

I like the looks of this one, very similar to mine.

http://newyorkbarbells.com/92066.html

It’s funny we talk about any exercises being unsafe. We all do the most dangerous activity known daily. DRIVE.

I can’t believe people have never seen these before. Even Ahnold used one.

You will use less weight then a 45 degree LP, though.

i wanna know HOW he got the weight up there? he must’ve had something on either side so he could slide under it right???[/quote]

Yeah, or maybe someone else put it there.

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
I’ve seen someone do those on a smith machine, they put the bar in the arch of there shoe. It was interesting![/quote]

Never underestimate the creativity of an idiot on the Smith.

[quote]derek wrote:

[/quote]

Here comes the nerd:

With the 45 degree angle, the 300 pounds you are lifting is actually only 212.1 vertically.

To find out the weight you are gonna use on a vertical machine compared to the regular leg press at 45 degrees, here is the equation (x=weight being used):

(x*(square root of 2))/2

Yes, I am a math nerd.

[quote]ukrainian wrote:
derek wrote:

Here comes the nerd:

With the 45 degree angle, the 300 pounds you are lifting is actually only 212.1 vertically.

To find out the weight you are gonna use on a vertical machine compared to the regular leg press at 45 degrees, here is the equation (x=weight being used):

(x*(square root of 2))/2

Yes, I am a math nerd.[/quote]

Yes, but that’s actually cool to know.

We had a nasty vertical leg press in high school. For the less than coordinated athletes who the coaches did not want to teach to squat or whose parents thought it was potential dangerous we had this nasty little contraption.

As for hitting your glutes do the words Ass to Grass mean anything to anybody. Like all machines this is a variation on theme you can achieve without a whole bunch TIG welded iron around you.

There’s a reason you don’t see these much anymore.
There’s at least 15 better leg movements that work more musculature with less potential for mayhem re: the lower back.

Ever watch someone do these? Avg joe at the gym has poor general flexibility and very poor hip flexibility, esp in terms of the flexors. At the bottom position, as the knees near max flexion, the hips/butt invariably come off the seat and the lumbar spine is severely flexed. Not good.
It does have redeeming qualites as a calf machine, just takes all day to put enough weight on it to be useful.