Vertical Jump Training??

[quote]Ballin4Christ32 wrote:
I would recommend just getting stronger as well. My squat and deads have gotten stronger and my vert has gone up. I am able to grab a standard basketball rim with both hands off both feet at a bw of 265 and height of 6’2.

The last body weight I could touch the rim with 2 hands at is around 225. Just get stronger, jump a lot, and watch your diet.[/quote]

I agree. Diet and be Strong and throw in some basic plyos.

[quote]djrobins wrote:
Don’t worry about achilles length, as your not going to lengthen it.

What you can do is improve the passive stiffness of your muscles, stiffen your tendons, strengthen opposing muscle groups for stability, and improve your ability to store and express explosive power.

Thats what this work is about.

There have been atheletes that break the mold that have achieved the vertical and speed that many are looking for.

Oh, it would also be good to add power cleans.

Make sure you drink a shake and amino acids after your session.[/quote]

I know you can’t increase achilles length. The point is a longer achilles increases elasticity. the rhythm squats improve elasticity of the muscles as well as the achilles. that’s what that example was meant to illustrate.

The real point is, big ass legs do not equal big ass vert. srength is a factor but elasticity of the muscles is important.

BigBart - My thing was you want things to be harder, like stiff ass springs.

Achillies tendon is relatively stiff - a longer one means theres more “stiffness” in the path of the gastrocnemious, since you have either:

1. Longer tendon, shorter muscle
  2. Shorter tendon, longer muscle

Muscle is not as stiff as tendons, and will “bleed” out more power.

But the good thing, is you can make your muscles stiffer and harder. So that they store and rebound more power.

There have been people with shorter achillies and longer achillies both jump high and run fast, as well as short to medium leg length, and long legs, etc.

It might be best to observe a “model” built similar to you.

So lets look at the path, I’m going to go from the bottom up:

1. Toes
  2. Feet - No one thinks about this
  3. Achillies
  4. Calf
  5. Quad/hams
  6. Glutes
  7. Low back.

Then you have bodyweight, arm swing and other factors.

I think when you squat, you want to get down, and get up as quickly as possible.

In most atheletic moves you do have the rebound affect.

In this vertical jump there is also a mental part.

How does one built up enough agression to use for the jump?

Just adding some stuff for the chat, because you’d be surprised that everything is not thought of yet.

Others on here have said it about 10 times already and i will say one more time. Flat out get stronger in the squat. there are plenty of ways to go about that, which is an entirely different thread. while getting stronger do some jumps (standing vj, one step, running vj) with a lot of sets of few reps (1-3).

I always advocate trying to find some way to measure each jump so you know what kind of progress you are making and how many reps and sets are optimal for you. There is a difference between jumping really high and jumping for max height that will be measured each time. not recording jump heights is like not recording bench press weights. at some point all weight feels “sort of” heavy so did you bench 250 or 300? same thing I feel applies with improving vert jumps. did you jump 29 inches or was it 31. two inches is a big difference so take the guess work out.

best of luck and train hard,
AC

[quote]SquatDr wrote:
Others on here have said it about 10 times already and i will say one more time. Flat out get stronger in the squat. there are plenty of ways to go about that, which is an entirely different thread. while getting stronger do some jumps (standing vj, one step, running vj) with a lot of sets of few reps (1-3).

I always advocate trying to find some way to measure each jump so you know what kind of progress you are making and how many reps and sets are optimal for you. There is a difference between jumping really high and jumping for max height that will be measured each time. not recording jump heights is like not recording bench press weights. at some point all weight feels “sort of” heavy so did you bench 250 or 300? same thing I feel applies with improving vert jumps. did you jump 29 inches or was it 31. two inches is a big difference so take the guess work out.

best of luck and train hard,
AC[/quote]

Hint to the OP: Pay close attention everytime AC Barch talks. He has a 50 inch vert and a 700 plus raw squat. He knows what he is talking about :wink:

[quote]BigBartDawg66 wrote:
djrobins wrote:
Don’t worry about achilles length, as your not going to lengthen it.

What you can do is improve the passive stiffness of your muscles, stiffen your tendons, strengthen opposing muscle groups for stability, and improve your ability to store and express explosive power.

Thats what this work is about.

There have been atheletes that break the mold that have achieved the vertical and speed that many are looking for.

Oh, it would also be good to add power cleans.

Make sure you drink a shake and amino acids after your session.

I know you can’t increase achilles length. The point is a longer achilles increases elasticity. the rhythm squats improve elasticity of the muscles as well as the achilles. that’s what that example was meant to illustrate.

The real point is, big ass legs do not equal big ass vert. srength is a factor but elasticity of the muscles is important.
[/quote]

depth jumps, rebound jumps etc. all take care of elasticity. Rebound jump squats are a personal favorite of mine (bar on your back, fall into a squat and immediately jump back up)

Just started squatting again 2 weeks ago after being away for years. I feel that when they say squatting helps alot, they mean it. It feels good to have the huge load on your back and drive it back up.

Can Dr.Squat really squat 740?!

My goal is to hit 35 inches.
With no jump/explosive training at all my vert jump was around 28 inches.
For 5 weeks I just practiced some depth jumps 3x a week, while still lifting heavy squats.
I’m at 32inch VJ now, at 203lb. Goal is to get 35 inches in another 5 weeks.

From there hope to hit aroudn 38 inches in a couple months program. And I’m not training SPECIFICALLY for VJ, just lifting heavy getting my squat up, and doing some type of explosive exercise + jumps on my 2nd lifting day for lower body.
Also still training muay thai.

You plan to go from 32-38" jump in like 3 months? Wow, if you do that, please let the world know…

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
You plan to go from 32-38" jump in like 3 months? Wow, if you do that, please let the world know…[/quote]

for just $49.95 you get the Rasturai DVD, “Jump Oles” a shorter more effective piece to add to your shoes called, plus a program developed by eastern european russian soviet scientist stationed in west african mountains including a new do anywhere exercise utilizing depth jumps off of curbs.

Well 5 weeks to gain 3 inches I can see that. and I’ll be at 35 inches. I talked to Kelly Bagget and he says I should have absolutely no trouble hitting a 35 inch vertical. i have a lot of strength and never done any explosive work. All i did was depth jumps 3x a week low volume and gained 4 inches…i wasn’t concentratnig on improving it specifically…just thought it’d be a good idea to get it up cause I’ve heard many benefits. And helps with my muay thai.

So after I hit 35 inches…if i solely focus on vertical jump. I think I could gain 3 inches in 8 weeks.
What’s the big deal?

[quote]rasturai wrote:
Well 5 weeks to gain 3 inches I can see that. and I’ll be at 35 inches. I talked to Kelly Bagget and he says I should have absolutely no trouble hitting a 35 inch vertical. i have a lot of strength and never done any explosive work. All i did was depth jumps 3x a week low volume and gained 4 inches…i wasn’t concentratnig on improving it specifically…just thought it’d be a good idea to get it up cause I’ve heard many benefits. And helps with my muay thai.

So after I hit 35 inches…if i solely focus on vertical jump. I think I could gain 3 inches in 8 weeks.
What’s the big deal?
[/quote]

Six inches is quite a bit. If you do that in a year it is pretty good progress.

A legit 38" CMJ is nasty, freskshow athleticism. If you reach that goal, my hat is off to you.

i will try to my best of ability :slight_smile:

I’m at about 32" legit CMJ. I’d love to see video if you get to 38"- it’s a lot higher than people think.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:

I’m at about 32" legit CMJ. I’d love to see video if you get to 38"- it’s a lot higher than people think.[/quote]

Jtrinsey, cool vid. You and I have “spoken” about this before. At my peak I put up a 35" from a standstill and a 41.5" off of three steps and it looked like I was shot out of a cannon. 360’s,windmills, two-hand cockbacks on the break at 5’10". A true 38" from a standstill is bananas. Depending on a variety of things, that could put you in the 43-45" range off of the run, which puts you in trully elite company.

Agreed. A teammate of mine goes about 41-42" from the run (at 6’6" his head is right about at the rim) and about 33-35" from the stand and anybody who watches him play (and I’m talking professional players too) talks about how athletic he is.

When you see vid of somebody like AC who is going upper 40s from the run it is truly freakish.

As I said before, if this guy does get to that level I would love to see a vid of that because it’s amazing to watch somebody with that sort of athleticism.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Agreed. A teammate of mine goes about 41-42" from the run (at 6’6" his head is right about at the rim) and about 33-35" from the stand and anybody who watches him play (and I’m talking professional players too) talks about how athletic he is.

When you see vid of somebody like AC who is going upper 40s from the run it is truly freakish.

As I said before, if this guy does get to that level I would love to see a vid of that because it’s amazing to watch somebody with that sort of athleticism. [/quote]

AC is jumping in the mid-low 50s from a run now.

[quote]Bloobird wrote:

AC is jumping in the mid-low 50s from a run now.[/quote]

I can’t count that high.