Vertical Jump Thread

Do we have an official vertical jump thread on here? QUESTION!

When testing the standing vertical jump, when you do the first reach with your hand before you jump to find out your vert, do you reach as high as possible? Or do you keep your shoulders level, or shoulder down? Thanks!

And how are the Nike Frees to train in?

I’m about to start up my vert training once again. I beleive my standing vert is around 27-30 inches. Will test & see. Main thing right now I’m working on is my strength. Lots os squats, front squats, hack squats, split squats, lunges forward, to the side, SLDL, GHGR, box squats.

Soon will be adding in my vert machine, the SuperCat along with some depth jump and reactive box jumps.

AND, any good forums out there to talk about vert training?

[quote]BRUCELEEWANNABE wrote:
Do we have an official vertical jump thread on here? QUESTION!

When testing the standing vertical jump, when you do the first reach with your hand before you jump to find out your vert, do you reach as high as possible? Or do you keep your shoulders level, or shoulder down? Thanks!

And how are the Nike Frees to train in?

I’m about to start up my vert training once again. I beleive my standing vert is around 27-30 inches. Will test & see. Main thing right now I’m working on is my strength. Lots os squats, front squats, hack squats, split squats, lunges forward, to the side, SLDL, GHGR, box squats.

Soon will be adding in my vert machine, the SuperCat along with some depth jump and reactive box jumps.

AND, any good forums out there to talk about vert training?[/quote]

when measuring the reach, reach as high as you can possibly can to get an accurate measurment. too many guys cheat on this.

keep getting the strength levels up too.

good luck,
AC

When testing the standing vertical jump, when you do the first reach with your hand before you jump to find out your vert, do you reach as high as possible? Or do you keep your shoulders level, or shoulder down? Thanks![/quote]

This depends, are you trying to find your ACTUAL vertical leap? If so, then obviously you reach as high as you do when you jump, which usually be as high as possible. If you are being tested in a combine setting, you should make every effort to keep your shoulders down as this can make a difference of as many as 6" in how your vert is tested. I know that personally my vert has been tested in a reliable combine setting as 37" when in fact it is more like 31-32" when I fully extend my shoulder.

[quote]
And how are the Nike Frees to train in?[/quote]

I own the 5.0s and I really like them for most training. With that said, I would not test your vert in them, nor would I do too much maximal sprinting and/or jumping unless you have strong feet. I definitely would avoid hard lateral movement drills also. I’m getting a pair of 7.0 trainers which have gotten good results for training in speed and agility drills.

For the record, I believe there is already a vertical jump thread on this board, although I believe it died a couple of months ago.

Bumpity

I’ve found that measuring how high your head goes is the most reliable way to measure your vert. This works well if you have a drop ceiling (the kind with tiles that can pop up).

As for the nike free’s, I have a pair of 7.0s and I love training them. Don’t think I could go back to regular sneakers.

Reach as high as possible for an accurate reading of course. Drop it for a half assed reading.

Koing

Hey guys…umm…and gals. Do any of you remember the Leaper?! It was the shit back in the 70’s & 80’s. Last time I saw one was at a college about 11 yrs. ago, and it was out for the trash to pick up. It was falling apart, rusty. Anyways, they’re making them again I guess.

Who out there used one, how was it?

http://www.minigym.com/leaper

Hey guys…umm…and gals. Do any of you remember the Leaper?! It was the shit back in the 70’s & 80’s. Last time I saw one was at a college about 11 yrs. ago, and it was out for the trash to pick up. It was falling apart, rusty. Anyways, they’re making them again I guess.

Who out there used one, how was it?

http://www.minigym.com/leaper[/quote]

Mu high school had two squat machines that looked just like it. Used them a lot but not explosively. Naturally, I got more out of the free weight squats :wink:

dont mess with that
just stick with plyos and squats and jump squats

Check this wanker out & the claims he’s making. What do you think?

www.terminalvertical.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4901

BUMP

You know, every time you look at a vertical leap specific message board your IQ drops 10 points.

Stay off of those forums and do your mind a favor.

PS: The same thing applies to reading youtube comments. Every time you do it I bet you increase your chance of developing a brain tumor by 25%.

:wink:

Kelly Baggett has a pretty good site that has a lot of good quality information regarding vertical leap.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Kelly Baggett has a pretty good site that has a lot of good quality information regarding vertical leap.

www.higher-faster-sports.com[/quote]

Yep, no doubt he does! How about DB Hammer forum!? I signed up, but have yet been given access to the very secretive site! What’s up with that?!

maybe you just didnt stack up to the criteria :wink:

Kelly Baggett is great, he really knows his stuff. However, his site is not a vertical leap themed message board and therefore my statement does not apply to it.

As for your not getting into the Inno-Sport forum, check your email again. If you haven’t gotten a confirmation then try to log in anyways, you should be able to get it. There’s no exclusivity at that site.

[quote]RJ24 wrote:
Kelly Baggett is great, he really knows his stuff. However, his site is not a vertical leap themed message board and therefore my statement does not apply to it.

As for your not getting into the Inno-Sport forum, check your email again. If you haven’t gotten a confirmation then try to log in anyways, you should be able to get it. There’s no exclusivity at that site.[/quote]

I remember it took me a while before I was given access.