Vertical Jump and Sprint Times

I’m curious about how some personal bests in the vertical jump and short sprints were acheived by people who have had these measured. And what methods were utilized to obtain the pr measurements.

I am now 34 years old but my best measurement in these tests were a few years back. I was 26, and weighed 245# at 6’2". I did not consistently test either of these for years and in fact I think that at the time I just felt athletic so I was curious about my speed and jumping abilities.

38" vj with one step
4.59 forty, hand held time

edit: In my teens I could not run especially fast what helped was strengthing my lower body and running sprints down a hill that leveled out and maintaining that speed aka overspeed training. (not that a 4.59 is blazing but who knows, maybe I was faster durng my overspeed training era)

My training consisted of max higher rep deadlifting every two weeks, 18" high box squatting (DE) once per week, a hanging low pull that was basically a “super shrug”, plyos 2x per week consisting mainly of hurdle hops for 5 hurdles and then a sprint (repeated 5 to 10 times) and some low impact single and double leg hopping, and racketball three times per week.

I was benchng etc. but have not listed upper body work, but it wasn’t extensive. The reason for max higher rep dl is that I had a knee that didn’t agree with deep squats at the time, it has recovered. I probably could have been doing a differnet exercise but it is what I chose.

I have utilized other lifts as well but this is just what I did at the time and although I have been stronger at different times I beleive that I possessed more explosiveness while training in this manner at this body weight utilizing a combination of methods. Maybe I could have run faster and jumped higher at another time in my life but I didn’t really ever test so I don’t know if this was my peak or not but I thought it was good.

And for vj purists this was with one step so I will call this a running vj.

If a similar thread already exist or did at one time let me know and I will look again for it.

Those are impressive numbers, sorry for my ignorance, but have you or do you do any sports, aside from racketball?

Edit: best vertical - 33", best 40 time - 4.85,
pro agility - 4.47, forgot about including this haha

[quote]Kulturkampf wrote:
Those are impressive numbers, sorry for my ignorance, but have you or do you do any sports, aside from racketball? [/quote]

The racketball ball was purely recreational. I threw the shot put in college. Now I spectate. Although now I am fat and out of shape I did touch 32" with a step earlier this summer but have had no cause to jump since then.

Would you say that there are any specific training items that have contributed to your jumping as high as you do and running your 4.85 forty?

squat deep and keep pushing it up, practise jumping at least once a week

nothing else needed, it works

see my VJ formula here - it’s spot on!

once you hit a 2.4 x Bodyweight full squat you should be vertical jumping around 40 inches as long as your movement efficiency in the jump is good

[quote]bluejay wrote:

Would you say that there are any specific training items that have contributed to your jumping as high as you do and running your 4.85 forty?[/quote]

When I tested that at the beginning of the season, I was a lot stronger and a lot more flexible than I am now. I did WS4SB and I really attribute it to that and being a flexible mofo.

[quote]CoolColJ wrote:
squat deep and keep pushing it up, practise jumping at least once a week

nothing else needed, it works

see my VJ formula here - it’s spot on!

once you hit a 2.4 x Bodyweight full squat you should be vertical jumping around 40 inches as long as your movement efficiency in the jump is good[/quote]

Are the squats belted or unbelted, with a high bar position?

I believe it’s no belt, no wraps, no nothing, with a high bar position.

I use a low bar position myself, shoulder width stance, no belt, oly shoes and go as low as I can with minimal bounce
I sit back a bit.

I really don’t max out, just an all out set of 5-8 reps. And plug it into the calulator

I love low bar full squats done the way I do em. The best hamstring exercise bar none - feels like a snatch grip deadlift with the bar on the back, but without the grip and form issues

much less shear/torque on the knee and lower back. High bar squats don’t feel so good for me once I get over 315lbs.

Not much difference in my squats numbers either way anyway, because I sit back when I high bar squat, just that once the numbers get up to a certain point the bar tries to snap your back in half in a high bar position.

Plus I’m always fighting hard to balance myself with this curved/bent bars in high bar… much easier to maintin form in low bar when your repping.

This may I competed in an NFL regional combine @ age 32.

When I started Training in October of 07 my 40 was 5.4 and my vert was 30. (Back in HS/college I was 4.5 & 40)

In May I tested @ 4.8 (needed cleats didn’t have any) and 36 Vert.

Did alot of squats, lunges, box jumps, and I have the ‘jumpsoles’ shoes that I did some plyo’s and running in.

Also stretch those muscles, calves to keep them healthy.

I squated deep, no belt, braces,etc. Trained hard. Ran some (pulled my hammy in January and missed 5 weeks).

[quote]Oldfart wrote:
This may I competed in an NFL regional combine @ age 32.

When I started Training in October of 07 my 40 was 5.4 and my vert was 30. (Back in HS/college I was 4.5 & 40)

In May I tested @ 4.8 (needed cleats didn’t have any) and 36 Vert.

Did alot of squats, lunges, box jumps, and I have the ‘jumpsoles’ shoes that I did some plyo’s and running in.

Also stretch those muscles, calves to keep them healthy.

I squated deep, no belt, braces,etc. Trained hard. Ran some (pulled my hammy in January and missed 5 weeks).[/quote]

What is a “regional” NFL combine? We don’t have these where I come from. I’m familiar with the NFL combine but not the regional. Thanks.

At my best I put a 35" from a standstill and a 41.5" off of 3 steps. I haven’t tested a 40 since I was 16, but I’m pretty fast. I beat Mercury Hayes [Haynes?] in a sprint on a basketball court, and he was an NFL reciever. That made me feel pretty cool. Just getting stronger at the squat and powerclean while playing ball a few times a month got me to my peak.

a Regional combine is a chance to go to a national one. Top 15% across the country at all the regional ones get invited, scouts, teams, etc at the national one.

Your graded on all things and then if your in the 85% and up you get invited (its measured based on everyones score in the position you try out for).

40 Yard
225 Bench
Shuttle
Vertical
Height
Weight

I did mine mainly as a outreach and team builder with my youth group I work with @ church. The HS boys I work with came to the gym lifted with me, did sprints with me, prayed with me and encouraged me as I spent 6 months prepping for it. It was a great motivational thing on all of our parts and I had a blast doing it as well.

I was a 4.91 with the wind behind me in high school. I got down to a 4.45 my junior year in college even with adding 30lbs (38" vert also being 5’9" 190) doing the following workouts (everything is cycled e.g. low distance/volume low reps sets to start and builds up over time and back down).

Running:
Overspeed 2xweek (downhill, sprint treadmill, pulley system, bands)
Speed Resistance 2xweek (sled w/no weight, harness, uphill)
Plyos 2xweek (variety starting at 30+ jumps and over time getting to around 100+. need to be in great shape first as these are dangerous when done incorrectly)
Agilities 2xweek (sports-based agilities)
Form Running daily as a warmup

Workout: 4 day workout
M - Lower: Squats, hang cleans, etc
T - Upper: Bench, shoulders, tris, etc
Th - Lower: Powercleans, deadlifts, str leg deadlift, etc
F - Upper: Incline Press, etc

I’ve skipped the details of each area but I found that this truely maximized what a no-talent athlete could accomplish. Also, probably most importantly, food/supplements/rest were taken care of. My best year of improvement I broke up my workouts with doing my speed work for about an hour, going home and resting, and later on doing my lifting for about an hour and a half to two hours.

I have the whole workout on a computer here somewhere if anyone is interested.

I would never trust a hand timed 40 for any validity - not for comparison between people and not for comparison between ones self. They are normally .3 sec off, which is an enormous difference. That can be acceptable for a 400, maybe a 200, but definitely not for a 40

[quote]getfast24 wrote:
I would never trust a hand timed 40 for any validity - not for comparison between people and not for comparison between ones self. They are normally .3 sec off, which is an enormous difference. That can be acceptable for a 400, maybe a 200, but definitely not for a 40[/quote]

Yep, that’s why I mentioned that it was hand timed. I could keep up with some of the sprinters for about 50 meters when I would race them, maybe they were slow too.

[quote]eggsurplus wrote:
I was a 4.91 with the wind behind me in high school. I got down to a 4.45 my junior year in college even with adding 30lbs (38" vert also being 5’9" 190) doing the following workouts (everything is cycled e.g. low distance/volume low reps sets to start and builds up over time and back down).

Running:
Overspeed 2xweek (downhill, sprint treadmill, pulley system, bands)
Speed Resistance 2xweek (sled w/no weight, harness, uphill)
Plyos 2xweek (variety starting at 30+ jumps and over time getting to around 100+. need to be in great shape first as these are dangerous when done incorrectly)
Agilities 2xweek (sports-based agilities)
Form Running daily as a warmup

Workout: 4 day workout
M - Lower: Squats, hang cleans, etc
T - Upper: Bench, shoulders, tris, etc
Th - Lower: Powercleans, deadlifts, str leg deadlift, etc
F - Upper: Incline Press, etc

I’ve skipped the details of each area but I found that this truely maximized what a no-talent athlete could accomplish. Also, probably most importantly, food/supplements/rest were taken care of. My best year of improvement I broke up my workouts with doing my speed work for about an hour, going home and resting, and later on doing my lifting for about an hour and a half to two hours.

I have the whole workout on a computer here somewhere if anyone is interested.[/quote]

Go ahead and post your workout. I think most people would be interested in seeing it. Thanks