Vertical Diet - Stan Efferding

I’m kind of following it too, although i’ve Pretty much given up trying to work out what vegetables I can eat and just eat the meat and rice portion.

It’s something i’ll Need to address eventually for the sake of my long term health but for the time being it’s nice being able to slam the calories without feeling like my insides are going to explode out through my anus all day.

2 Likes

I’m doing this out of a hotel because of my job but basically the diet for me is:
1.5 Lbs ground sirloin grilled (foreman)
1 red pepper over 2-3 meals also grilled
1lb spinach over 2-3 meals nuked
2 90 sec jasmine rice bags nuked
1 sweet potato nuked
2 hard boiled eggs
12 oz oj not from concentrate
6 oz cranberry haven’t found any decent brands yet
Carrot yeah working on that too
Bout 8 gr iodized salt sprinkled on my food and including what’s already in the food as well
Comes in around
190 pro
300 carb
90 fat
2800 ish calories

1 Like

I hate spinach. Kale is worse. Guess I’m going to be choking down soggy, bitter greens for the foreseeable future :upside_down_face:

Nice one are you bulking at the moment? 300 grams carbs that’s a fair bit.

Just giving myself some structure. I’m finishing up the undulating periodization program by CT and bought his 2A program to do next so just trying to keep the gains coming. I’ll reassess where I’m at after two weeks doing this.

1 Like

I know that this is an old thread, but I saw a YouTube video today where Brian Shaw said he’s stopping the vertical diet and going back to working with Nathan Payton (his diet coach when we won wsm, also Martins’ diet coach). He said the vertical diet was good for his body composition, but he thinks it was bad for his strength.

3 Likes

So the choices he is making in the video are pretty much all in line with V.D. parameters. Potatoes are really option #2 for starches, greens are not disallowed, fruit is fine for an athlete, or big guy.

I have mentioned before that the basic principals of the V.D. and similar diets are 1) low omega-6, 2) moderate fructose, 3) minimal wheat/beans/inflammatory starches.

Potatoes and sweet potatoes are pretty interchangeable with white rice, and fruit and salad are also not disallowed. He is making very small broadening of his food diversity but still sticking to principals that Stan basically borrowed from when he came up with V.D. I think Stan even talked about using potatoes as the starch, and for someone eating so much, variety is essential to help him get enough calories. He could also handle a lot of fruit with no problems given that the body handles fructose better in people who train hard.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the beginning of another marketing scheme. Stan Efferding must have made a ton of money off the vertical diet, selling a short e-book for $100US and promoting Costco and the Cheesecake factory, plus charging $500-$1000 a month for coaching. Not to mention referring everyone to send blood test results to a company which he is part owner of.

This makes sense, take one of Stan’s best known clients and put him on the even better version of the vertical diet. Switch rice for potatoes, throw in some fruits, maybe shop at Wal-Mart instead of Costco, and you’re on the road to victory.

3 Likes

The obvious point to be made here is that Thor is on the Vertical Diet, won the Arnold which is the heaviest show, and came in 3rd in WSM with a foot injury.

I think the bigger point is that these guys are:

1. 450lbs plus,
  2. eat 8k-10k calories per day
  3. Take large doses of androgens and GH
  4. Have blood glucose, blood lipids (trigs/HDL/LDL), blood pressure, TSH and other markers in range.

That’s quite frankly extraordinary. 10 minute walks must be magic.

2 Likes

I don’t think that diet is good for the heart, base a diet on white rice and steak is a bomb for the heart, plus we are on testosterone.

Why think this ?

That ten minute walk crap is grossly overrated

1 Like

Empirical evidence has shown that a 10 minute walk reduces daily insulin needs by only 1-2% which is itself insignificant, but it can dramatically reduce the peak blood sugar after a meal, especially in someone who is insulin resistant, because it slows down gastric emptying, and it circulates insulin throughout the body much faster. It basically gives your pancreas a head start on your blood sugar rise from a meal.

Well then… I stand corrected

1 Like

I know this is an old post but this is my first time in this thread. I’m actually going to have leftover steak for lunch today, and right, microwaves leftover steak is not good. But I don’t usually concern myself with enjoyment for food i take to work.

1 Like

I’m gonna look up the diet. I gotta say from what I read from the thread that this is a great marketing scheme. Monster Mash? Ground meat and rice. Uh, isn’t that a taco bowl or picadillo? :grinning:

2 Likes

The idea for him is avoiding fodmap foods and focusing on stuff that digests well. Also getting micronutrients from certain foods. It’s fairly solid reasoning, but probably overly dogmatic for most.

He gives the concepts away free on his YouTube channel.

3 Likes

I do love ground beef and rice with taco sauce… I should’ve beat ol’ Stan to the scam and called it The Taco Rice Diet

1 Like

Copyright that people love tacos lol

1 Like