Vert Training Thread 2.0

Its called, Sending a message, its in some collection of really old Blockhead beats. I’m going to test my vert soon, hoping for +80cm jumps…

Thanks. What’s your vert now?

It was 76cm or 30inches last september, I use a jump and reach test not a force platform. This thread needs to gain some momentum

Werner Gunthor should bring some life to this!!

30’s not bad man. What’s your goal? Agreed on the thread needing momentum. I posted a new dunk vid a couple of days ago, and am aiming to post a new one every few weeks. Have put down some decent dunks lately, just haven’t caught 'em on cam. My goal is a 2 handed 360 off the lob within the next 2 months. I’m right there, just keep messing up the timing.

I was planning on testing out my vert tomorrow at the local rec center but while I was doing weighted dips today the clip broke and dropped 2 plates on my right ankle. Shits swollen and hurting right now (vid in my log for the lulz)

I want to get some jumps in soon. Sucks that my new gym doesnt have a court. I’ll try to get a few jumps in when my ankle feels better.

I’m looking forward to seeing that 360… that’ll be sick

To get near 90cm at the jump and reach would be nice, then i have some lifting goals as well. What kind of numbers do you put up in the weightroom Whiteflash?

[quote]hatesmiles wrote:
To get near 90cm at the jump and reach would be nice, then i have some lifting goals as well. What kind of numbers do you put up in the weightroom Whiteflash?[/quote]

You can do it. What lifts do you want to know about?

Usual suspects, olys and squats back and front?

[quote]hatesmiles wrote:
Usual suspects, olys and squats back and front?[/quote]

Don’t do traditional oly’s, and haven’t hang cleaned in awhile but have gone as high as 255 at about 175 lbs. There’s no way I could get that now though. I’d guess I could do between 205 and 225 right now. Have recently started trying close grip hang snatches, but I haven’t done more than 115 I think. Can’t back squat anymore as I’ve had 2 major knee injuries, but have 18" box squatted 405 for 5. Don’t do front squats 'cause of the knees. Any other questions man, fire away.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]hatesmiles wrote:

Don’t do traditional oly’s, and haven’t hang cleaned in awhile but have gone as high as 255 at about 175 lbs. There’s no way I could get that now though. I’d guess I could do between 205 and 225 right now. Have recently started trying close grip hang snatches, but I haven’t done more than 115 I think. Can’t back squat anymore as I’ve had 2 major knee injuries, but have 18" box squatted 405 for 5. Don’t do front squats 'cause of the knees. Any other questions man, fire away.[/quote]

Ouch. What surgeries have you had? I myself have had an ACL reconstruction and part of my meniscus removed. Makes it hard to work out sometimes.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]hatesmiles wrote:

Don’t do traditional oly’s, and haven’t hang cleaned in awhile but have gone as high as 255 at about 175 lbs. There’s no way I could get that now though. I’d guess I could do between 205 and 225 right now. Have recently started trying close grip hang snatches, but I haven’t done more than 115 I think. Can’t back squat anymore as I’ve had 2 major knee injuries, but have 18" box squatted 405 for 5. Don’t do front squats 'cause of the knees. Any other questions man, fire away.[/quote]

Ouch. What surgeries have you had? I myself have had an ACL reconstruction and part of my meniscus removed. Makes it hard to work out sometimes. [/quote]

Only had one surgery. Had two chunks break off the meniscus in my right knee that got under the over cap, so they repaired the meniscus and removed the chunks from the knee cap. Ruptured the patella tendon in my left knee but waited too long for it to get fixed and the tissue calcified. That was about 3 years ago and I’m just getting to where the knee doesn’t hurt when I’m just laying around, let alone being active. What’d you do to the knee to have all that work?

Major injuries suck, i’ve been lucky to have none. Trained speed and jumps this week, had maybe the best session of the year. Absolutely destroyed my friend in a 30m race and did some big bounding(for me at least)

Landed with a hyperextended knee when playing basketball. My knee popped backwards. I didnt have surgery on it for two years so I’d tweak it every so often. My strength is way higher then before the surgery now, but it feels harder to gain explosiveness.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:
Landed with a hyperextended knee when playing basketball. My knee popped backwards. I didnt have surgery on it for two years so I’d tweak it every so often. My strength is way higher then before the surgery now, but it feels harder to gain explosiveness. [/quote]

That sucks, man. I waited on both knees to have surgery, and it cost me on the left. I feel you about the explosiveness. I could actually traditional back squat a fair amount before my knee injuries, but my explosiveness was WAY higher. I could not touch a ball or jump for 2 months, hit a court and put down reverses with barely a sweat going. Now, I gotta warm-up, wear my knee braces, ease into it, etc… and I’m still not to where I was. The good thing about that though is my injuries made me realize that I took my natural abilities for granted, and if I want to be back where I was I have to work for it. I welcome the challenge.

sup, will my love for dunking ever die? dno, maybe injuries, old age, who knows… but i love just trying to jump max height than slamming that shit.

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:
Landed with a hyperextended knee when playing basketball. My knee popped backwards. I didnt have surgery on it for two years so I’d tweak it every so often. My strength is way higher then before the surgery now, but it feels harder to gain explosiveness. [/quote]

That sucks, man. I waited on both knees to have surgery, and it cost me on the left. I feel you about the explosiveness. I could actually traditional back squat a fair amount before my knee injuries, but my explosiveness was WAY higher. I could not touch a ball or jump for 2 months, hit a court and put down reverses with barely a sweat going. Now, I gotta warm-up, wear my knee braces, ease into it, etc… and I’m still not to where I was. The good thing about that though is my injuries made me realize that I took my natural abilities for granted, and if I want to be back where I was I have to work for it. I welcome the challenge.[/quote]

Good luck to you man. I’m sure you’ll get it. I’m hoping to dunk(at 5’7’‘-5’8’') some time within the next year so hopefully both of our knees can handle the training. What are your strength levels at now?

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

That sucks, man. I waited on both knees to have surgery, and it cost me on the left. I feel you about the explosiveness. I could actually traditional back squat a fair amount before my knee injuries, but my explosiveness was WAY higher. I could not touch a ball or jump for 2 months, hit a court and put down reverses with barely a sweat going. Now, I gotta warm-up, wear my knee braces, ease into it, etc… and I’m still not to where I was. The good thing about that though is my injuries made me realize that I took my natural abilities for granted, and if I want to be back where I was I have to work for it. I welcome the challenge.[/quote]

Good luck to you man. I’m sure you’ll get it. I’m hoping to dunk(at 5’7’‘-5’8’') some time within the next year so hopefully both of our knees can handle the training. What are your strength levels at now?[/quote]

Thanks bud, same to you. How close are you now? I posted some of my #'s a couple of posts above this, and I have a log in that section of the site. What’re yours at?

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

[quote]WhiteFlash wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

Good luck to you man. I’m sure you’ll get it. I’m hoping to dunk(at 5’7’‘-5’8’') some time within the next year so hopefully both of our knees can handle the training. What are your strength levels at now?[/quote]

Thanks bud, same to you. How close are you now? I posted some of my #'s a couple of posts above this, and I have a log in that section of the site. What’re yours at?[/quote]

Not very close right now. Barely touching the rim right now. I squat 365 and have only cleaned 190 from the floor so I definitely need to work on my explosiveness. I’m thinking if I can get my hang clean up to 225lbs, I should be dunking. I’m also doing jump and sprint training so hopefully everything goes well.

new records done, 3m standing long jump on flat, not to sandbox and overhead toss with 4k shot, 19,50 meters, training is working!

can jumps be used as a conditioning exercise? or should it be a workout on its onwn. sorry if this is a stupid question. but jumping too much may hurt my lifts. wanna ask those with more experience.