Vern Gambetta on Training Secrets

I came across this blog post by Vern Gambetta a few weeks ago. Although Gambetta doesn’t train bodybuilders, the message nevertheless pertains to our outlook and approach to training in any physical endeavor. And with this outlook, people–especially noobs–can save an enormous amount of time that might be otherwise wasted with diverted mental and physical energy and mental masturbation.

“Are there training secrets? I think that is a fair question to ask when you see all the hype about the different training secrets available for exorbitant prices available for purchase. Honestly in my 39 years of coaching and a few more beyond that trying to be an athlete I have not found any secrets. What I have seen is that those who claim to have secrets are closed minded people who depend on hype and smoke and mirrors to convince people that they really know something that no one else does. It is even better if you claim to have the Russian or East German training secrets and you call everyone comrade. There are no secrets, training demands structure, progression, directed work that understands the interaction of the body, gravity and the ground. Here is the free â??secretâ?? model for reverse periodization (another meaningless term) Get Strong, Get Fast, Get Fit, Get Specific, Compete. You learned that right here free. What do you do with it, that is up to you, no secrets, I am not coaching the people you are coaching. One size does not fit all. Use your knowledge and creativity and run with it. The secret is that simplicity yields complexity.”

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
“What do you do with it, that is up to you”, “no secrets One size does not fit all”, “Use your knowledge and creativity and run with it. The secret is that simplicity yields complexity.”[/quote]

Works for me. While we may understand certain things better these days, it seems to me that a lot of the approaches used by top people has roots in what ye olden bodybuilders did back in the 50’s and 60’s. Possibly they couldn’t explain their rationale as well as we now can, but I doubt we’ve discovered any truly revolutionary training secrets in the last 50 years.

S

That is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Yes, but please make this the last thing you take from Vern. There are much better people to follow and listen to. I only wish he practiced what he preaches, you wanna talk about smoke and mirrors…

[quote]colt44 wrote:
Yes, but please make this the last thing you take from Vern. There are much better people to follow and listen to. I only wish he practiced what he preaches, you wanna talk about smoke and mirrors…[/quote]

Can you please explain? This had not been my experience.