Venting About Job

This might come off as bitching but I just needed to vent a little bit. Started playing rugby this year, fine and dandy, took a big hit, so I am in rough shape the start of this week, knee swelled up, can barely walk, did not leave bed for almost three days, til today almost. Called everyday at work and made sure it was kosher.

I went in tonight, well I am at work now to see where things were at, work at a large FI, commercial banking. And I just have a ton of e-mails bitching at me. And I don’t really think it is warranted. I am one of the most junior managers in the prov/state. Irregardless, makes me want to almost quit. The job I do not especially enjoy, and there is a lot of tedious maintenance/admin stuff. Now I want to get out of the city I am in, and there is a ton of head hunters lately, so I am into a couple phone interviews for other positions in the same line of work.

I should probably be thankful I have a decent job that pays okay, but I want to move both out of the city and out of the job, but I am stuck due to, house/car payment/bills etc. and not much of an escape plan saved up. I want to get out of this line of banking, but I am pondering whether or not it is just the city I am in and the massive size of the small portfolio I am dealing with. 140+ clients with only about 20 million total borrowing. The new offers are much smaller but larger dollar amounts which I figure I might enjoy and it would be in a lot nicer of city.

I think I might be at a crossroads where I say fuck banking and really figure it out, travel/mba or something a long those lines or just accept it.

The new job I am looking at is 20% pay raise extra week vacation and all moving would be paid for and my bonus owed. So I don’t know if I should continue in a field I don’t exactly enjoy, but at the same time I do not have a back-up plan. As of now I am thinking if I get the new offer, I would take it, change of scenary seems to be what I am really wanting and it would be a fairly well paid gig, 70-80 plus bonus 4 weeks holiday. I am 25 here by the way, still a young pup.

Let me see if I got this right.

You are communicating per e-mail with clients who possess small to medium sized accounts, drawn from a large commercial banking center.

You have amassed considerable levels of debt yourself, through expenditures such as auto payments and mortgage obligations.

You would like to move into a job where you would be handling fewer accounts, albeit of a larger high profile nature.

You are not certain that this field of employment satisfies your personal needs, but are well employed.

I think you need a reality check.

You have a job where you can get by with your existing communicative skills, and if you apply for a job where these skills must be honed to perfection in order to satisy industrial or high profile clients, you may not meet the required standards.

Even if you have a MBA degree, you still would be competing in a field where so many good, well trained people have lost their jobs in the last couple of years. Of course the financial/insurance sectors in the US are recovering, however nothing in these sectors are a given today.

You’re just 25 so I would say stay put, get some more experience, and learn from your peers and superiors those tools which you’ll require to make the move when you’re ready.

The old saying goes:

"Don’t leave a job until you have something better, but don’t take on that job if you can’t fill or surpass the requirements.

PS: This is not meant to be understood as a flame, just some advice from a condescending pissed off old man.

Some negativity via email is going to be the trigger?

People are always wanting you to take care of their shit here and now. It won’t ever change because we all have our own self interests. Harden up, take the abuse and move on. When you are a junior you are always going to have more senior and seasoned people bitching at you, condescending you, basically assuming you are no more than an inexperienced and naive kid. Even if you aren’t.

You have to earn your stripes. People aren’t just going to hand you respect. Head hunters are natural. Find some leverage and pick your battles.

Eh, what the two above said. I’d say take the new job if it comes. Otherwise get yourself that back-up plan that you say you are lacking. “Suffer” in the job for another 6-12 months (if the new job doesn’t come through) and get rid of those financial issues (pay off your loans/save/etc). Actually, do that even if the new job does come through. Personally, I’ve found a couple of changes at a job can really change a lot. My 2 cents.

[quote]Hubbend wrote:
Irregardless…
[/quote]

Cut that shit out!

Lol. I have no sympathy whatsoever. Quit enslaving yourself to your possessions then you will have freedom.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
Lol. I have no sympathy whatsoever. Quit enslaving yourself to your possessions then you will have freedom. [/quote]

spoken like a true free man.

I cant tell If you are being condascending or not , bignate. I find it mind boggling how people who easily make twice as much money as me are unhappy with their cushy job. I believe buying anything you don’t have the money for whether it be a house or a car is a HUGE financial gamble during these times. I will try not to ramble too much but part of the problem in thus country and around the globe is people and governments spending more money than they have.

[quote]StevenF wrote:
I find it mind boggling how people who easily make twice as much money as me are unhappy with their cushy job.[/quote]

I really don’t find it that mind boggling when you consider the motivations that drove them to want and get that cushy job in the first place.

Assume they start out feeling somewhat unhappy and unsatisfied with where they are in life. Then they think “if I just figure out how to get this awesome job, I’ll finally be happier and satisfied.” Then they get it, whether by hard work, or by deception, whichever. But the unhappiness still doesn’t go away. The problem is clinging to the idea that “if I just had this/did this/were this, I’d be happy”. It’s that they’re externalizing their own happiness and sense of satisfaction.

What makes it worse is that they clearly have the skills to get what they want, so they’re doubly confused why they’re not happy, since “they should be”.

[quote]postholedigger wrote:

[quote]Hubbend wrote:
Irregardless…
[/quote]

Cut that shit out![/quote]

LMFAO

OP, it sounds like you actually know what you need to do already. You know you need a financial back-up plan. You know you need to reduce or eliminate your monthly debt obligation. You know what the goals are, and I’m pretty sure you know what it will take to reach them. You also know the relationship between your income, your expenses, and the time it will take to meet those goals. Obviously more income will help you reach those goals faster, but you have to balance the risk of the new job not working out, the costs of moving, the time lag in getting your first paycheck, etc. If you’re comfortable taking those risks, I say pursue a new job. If you’re not, don’t.

It really comes down to long-term planning, sticking to the plan, and balancing risk and reward. A lot like lifting, actually.

Most of it’s pretty simple, it’s just hard to do. Good luck.

Appreciate the replies guys. I know I have it pretty good, but at the same time, I do not know if it is a drive to always do better/make more money. And to note I am up North (canada), the housing market in my area has stayed relatively solid and with oil starting to boom it should stay relatively solid. In hind sight the townhouse I bought a year ago is up 20k already 215 to 235 so I can’t complain there.

Part of the real desire to go ahead with something new, is this city in a way brings out the worst in people, not much to do in way of activities, so the weekends seem like an endless college party. Guy I graduated with was visiting yesterday and we sat down and chatted and he was telling me about all the stuff he was doing out in BC. Outdoor trails, kayaking, and he skied the big mountains every weekend. I think I need to be in an environment like that. He was almost in the same boat as me before he moved away and now he is three years away from being a full-time doctor. I think a move would get me out of the environment I have been living in, you might say it is really an excuse but when all of the people you grew up with and all your friends are doing the same crap every day and weekend, it is hard to get away from the whole scene.

I regress a bit here, I think if the right opportunity comes up, I will take it, otherwise I will keep plugging away here, I am probably as noted, 6-12 months away from getting a lot of debt paid down with a disciplined approach. And at that point I will have a lot more equity and financial flexibility to do what I really want. Something with my generation, I am sure you have all seen it, but we want everything and we want it now, which is a blessing and curse. We always want to be busy and we do not want to wait for anything.

I love my job.

[quote]postholedigger wrote:

[quote]Hubbend wrote:
Irregardless…
[/quote]

Cut that shit out![/quote]

I hate this too.

People who get paid too much for what they do.

-Capitalism: The double edge blade, forged in a fire fueled by burning money,
that is wasted on overpayed smoke blowing experts.

[quote]Hubbend wrote:
Appreciate the replies guys. I know I have it pretty good, but at the same time, I do not know if it is a drive to always do better/make more money. And to note I am up North (canada), the housing market in my area has stayed relatively solid and with oil starting to boom it should stay relatively solid. In hind sight the townhouse I bought a year ago is up 20k already 215 to 235 so I can’t complain there.

Part of the real desire to go ahead with something new, is this city in a way brings out the worst in people, not much to do in way of activities, so the weekends seem like an endless college party. Guy I graduated with was visiting yesterday and we sat down and chatted and he was telling me about all the stuff he was doing out in BC. Outdoor trails, kayaking, and he skied the big mountains every weekend. I think I need to be in an environment like that. He was almost in the same boat as me before he moved away and now he is three years away from being a full-time doctor. I think a move would get me out of the environment I have been living in, you might say it is really an excuse but when all of the people you grew up with and all your friends are doing the same crap every day and weekend, it is hard to get away from the whole scene.

I regress a bit here, I think if the right opportunity comes up, I will take it, otherwise I will keep plugging away here, I am probably as noted, 6-12 months away from getting a lot of debt paid down with a disciplined approach. And at that point I will have a lot more equity and financial flexibility to do what I really want. Something with my generation, I am sure you have all seen it, but we want everything and we want it now, which is a blessing and curse. We always want to be busy and we do not want to wait for anything.[/quote]

Did you grow up in the city you’re currently living in?

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]Hubbend wrote:

I regress a bit here, I think if the right opportunity comes up, I will take it, otherwise I will keep plugging away here, I am probably as noted, 6-12 months away from getting a lot of debt paid down with a disciplined approach. And at that point I will have a lot more equity and financial flexibility to do what I really want. Something with my generation, I am sure you have all seen it, but we want everything and we want it now, which is a blessing and curse. We always want to be busy and we do not want to wait for anything.[/quote]

Did you grow up in the city you’re currently living in?[/quote]

And how many people are in the city?

What are your friends doing and what kind of scene are you in that makes you write “…this city in a way brings out the worst in people…?”

If you are in a small city where you grew up and/or went to school I can definitely understand wanting to move away to a place that is more “you.” However, there is plenty you can do while you are still in town though to reshape your life and circle of friends. If you are in the middle of nowhere in a town of 10k it’d be one thing, but there are almost always options. You’ve got to be very honest with yourself though because if you’ve fallen in with the party hard, life-wasting crowd when there really are alternatives then it’s very likely you’ll move to a new place and end up in a similar situation.

Then you’ll just keep moving around trying to keep ahead of your shadow, which never works. If you set boundaries with your friends and they are really your friends they’ll respect that. And it’s pretty unlikely that you can generalize a modestly sized city into the category of “no-good deadbeats” with any sort of intellectual honesty.

If you are stuck in a rut and need the kick in the ass that a move to a new city brings then that’s OK too, but be honest with yourself about what is really going on and own it.

Yeah grew up in the city I am in, and before I would move, likely have to make some changes with what I have been doing as is.