T Nation

Venezuelan Prof. Sets Wifi Record

“A Venezuelan professor along with his team have set a new record for the longest WiFi link. Using commodity hardware, they established a connection between a PC in El ?guila, Venezuela, and one in Platill?n Mountain, a distance of about 237 miles. The previous record was 193 miles.”

How about that Pat?

[quote]lixy wrote:
“A Venezuelan professor along with his team have set a new record for the longest WiFi link. Using commodity hardware, they established a connection between a PC in El ?guila, Venezuela, and one in Platill?n Mountain, a distance of about 237 miles. The previous record was 193 miles.”

How about that Pat?[/quote]

Whoopie-tee-doo!

[quote]pat36 wrote:
Whoopie-tee-doo![/quote]

I’ll refresh your memory. In the Bolivarian Computers thread you claimed that:

Very few people have the skills and knowledge to manipulate source code. Since a good bit of the knowledge took flight from Venezuela there most certainly very few people left there who can do that.

Researchers are not driven by money. Most of them are only interested in improving the world and recognition.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Whoopie-tee-doo!

I’ll refresh your memory. In the Bolivarian Computers thread you claimed that:

Very few people have the skills and knowledge to manipulate source code. Since a good bit of the knowledge took flight from Venezuela there most certainly very few people left there who can do that.

Researchers are not driven by money. Most of them are only interested in improving the world and recognition.[/quote]

But the people who finance them and market their products are.

Same thing reallly…

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat36 wrote:
Whoopie-tee-doo!

I’ll refresh your memory. In the Bolivarian Computers thread you claimed that:

Very few people have the skills and knowledge to manipulate source code. Since a good bit of the knowledge took flight from Venezuela there most certainly very few people left there who can do that.

Researchers are not driven by money. Most of them are only interested in improving the world and recognition.[/quote]

And that refutes what I said, how exactly? One guy did something remotely interesting at best. Hooray! Viva Chavez! What a spectacular achievement for him.

And that sure beats this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid932579976/bclid932553050/bctid933742930

[quote]Orion wrote:
… [/quote]

The research for all the major breakthroughs I can think of was state-funded.

[quote]pat36 wrote:
And that sure beats this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid932579976/bclid932553050/bctid933742930[/quote]

Ever heard of apples and oranges?

There’s no fucking way Venezuela can even dream of measuring up to you. Not today, not in a hundred years, and certainly regardless of who’s in charge of the country.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Orion wrote:

The research for all the major breakthroughs I can think of was state-funded.
[/quote]

Since allmost none of them were, you are wrong…

[quote]lixy wrote:
Orion wrote:

The research for all the major breakthroughs I can think of was state-funded.

pat36 wrote:
And that sure beats this:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/bcpid932579976/bclid932553050/bctid933742930

Ever heard of apples and oranges?

There’s no fucking way Venezuela can even dream of measuring up to you. Not today, not in a hundred years, and certainly regardless of who’s in charge of the country.[/quote]

Don’t bring a knife to a gun fight…

[quote]orion wrote:
Since allmost none of them were, you are wrong…
[/quote]

Well then, enlighten us. I’m having a hard time thinking about any discovery from last century (I’m talking major breakthroughs, not mere improvements) that affect my life and that weren’t state sponsored.

Seriously.

[quote]lixy wrote:
orion wrote:
Since allmost none of them were, you are wrong…

Well then, enlighten us. I’m having a hard time thinking about any discovery from last century (I’m talking major breakthroughs, not mere improvements) that affect my life and that weren’t state sponsored.

Seriously.[/quote]

Why would I do your leg work?

You may come up with dozens of governmet aided inventions, there are BILLIONS of goods out there that weren`t 100 years ago.

Even “government” inventions need private money to build and distribute them so their impact on society would still be owed to private property.

Yippee.

[quote]lixy wrote:
“A Venezuelan professor along with his team have set a new record for the longest WiFi link. Using commodity hardware, they established a connection between a PC in El ?guila, Venezuela, and one in Platill?n Mountain, a distance of about 237 miles. The previous record was 193 miles.”

How about that Pat?[/quote]

Dammit lixy, for a second there I really thought you had a post that wasn’t somehow an underhanded poke at someone. In any case that is quite impressive, although the point had been made several decades ago. Anyone that things that socialists/communists can’t get ANYTHING done need only ask themselves who Yuri Gagarin is.

mike

[quote]orion wrote:
Why would I do your leg work? [/quote]

Didn’t you try to refute my assertion by saying “Since allmost none of them were, you are wrong…”

Am I supposed to take your word for it? Or are you supposed to provide evidence?

[quote]You may come up with dozens of governmet aided inventions, there are BILLIONS of goods out there that weren`t 100 years ago.

Even “government” inventions need private money to build and distribute them so their impact on society would still be owed to private property. [/quote]

I never challenged that the private sector wasn’t good at improving, marketing and commercializing product. It’s what they do!!!

Look carefully at the wording of my sentence: “The research for all the major breakthroughs I can think of was state-funded.” Note that I emphasized “breakthrough” by adding “major” to rule out any ambiguity.

lixy,

The Automobile.

Not state sponsored, took off in the last century, inarguably a MAJOR breakthrough.

I will accept your backpedaling on behalf of Orion.

lixy,

The Personal Computer.

Not state sponsored, took off in the last 100 years, inarguably a MAJOR breakthrough.

I will accept your backpedaling on behalf of Orion.

lixy,

The Airplane.

Not state sponsored, took off in the last 100 years, inarguably a MAJOR breakthrough.

I will accept your backpedaling on behalf of Orion.

lixy,

The Telephone.

Not state sponsored, took off in the last 100 years, inarguably a MAJOR breakthrough.

I will accept your backpedaling on behalf of Orion.

EDIT: I was a bit quick on the draw on this one, the phone being over 100 years old. But should you wish, dear lixy, I can keep going with other major inventions.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
lixy,

The Automobile.

Not state sponsored, took off in the last century, inarguably a MAJOR breakthrough.

I will accept your backpedaling on behalf of Orion.[/quote]

Nicolas-Joseph Cugnot built the very first automobile in 1769 for the French army.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
lixy,

The Telephone.

Not state sponsored, took off in the last 100 years, inarguably a MAJOR breakthrough.

I will accept your backpedaling on behalf of Orion.

EDIT: I was a bit quick on the draw on this one, the phone being over 100 years old. But should you wish, dear lixy, I can keep going with other major inventions.[/quote]

Please. I enjoy it. However don’t look for Lixy to backtrack. He gets owned (ie by JeffR) and just doesn’t answer.

[quote]tGunslinger wrote:
lixy,

The Personal Computer.

Not state sponsored, took off in the last 100 years, inarguably a MAJOR breakthrough.

I will accept your backpedaling on behalf of Orion.[/quote]

Don’t go there.

I could cite the Atanasoff-Berry Computer, the Z3, the Colossus, or the most famous ENIAC. But the strongest argument would be that Von Neumann was a professor.