T Nation

Velvet's Lifting and Other Fun Stuff Log

Do you have a tankless water heater?

I do, it’s an in-line heater if I’m getting my terminology correct.

1 Like

That’s fun! I thought I saw it in your gym pics from a couple weeks ago, only I wasn’t sure what one looked like.

Does it do a good job? Do you have plenty of hot water?

It’s pretty legit. It can take a minute for the water to heat up coming out of the faucet, but it’s basically unlimited hot water once it starts. Couple that with the flow rate from our well and my GF is very happy haha.

1 Like

Unlimited, high-pressure hot water, that’s the dream scenario! I guess we’re old now if that’s what gets us excited.

Did you finish Powerbuilder?

@FlatsFarmer haha man, given some of the homes I had growing up, I feel like I’ve made it.

@Voxel I did not. Basically came down to the workouts requiring too much set up, and too many activities that triggered the elbow tendonitis.

2 Likes

Smart

1 Like

11/20/20

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (row - bench - core)

Single arm BB row:
25x10
50x5x8

Axle bench:
50x10
80x5
120x5
150x2x5
150x12

Renegade iso row:
25x10s/side

GIANT SETS (dips - tris - shrug)

Ring dips:
3x15
1x9

DB JM press:
25x3x10
25x8

Farmer handle shrug: (pause at top)
70x4x12

CONDITIONING

AMRAP x 10 minutes:

3 pull ups
6 push ups
9 DB cleans x40

6 rounds

Solid afternoon here. My back is just destroyed today, but, should it adapt and recover I’m digging the daily back work approach. Those single arm BB rows are great, have been away from them for a while but I remembered today how well you can actually get your lats going without needing a machine.

Just doing some basic linear progression with a plus set for my bench for now, should be able to milk that for a long time given how long I’ve been away from the movement.

The ring dips are such an awesome chest exercise. Stability becomes a factor with fatigue, but you can really target the pecs a lot better than with fixed bars imo. Took a minute to figure out those JM DB presses, but once I got them comfortable I started to really dig those too. And the farmers handles seemed to solve the mystery of the shrug to me, neutral grip ftw.

Conditioning really came down to those DB cleans. They are the deciding factor in how tough that workout is.

1 Like

11/21/20

~5-6 miles of easy hiking. Beautiful day in the mid 40s, was good to get out and take in some fresh air and sights.

1 Like

11/23/20

Squat workout

GIANT SETS (jump - squat - core)

Box jump:
x3

Hands wide SSB box squats: (mats + 2 boards)
45x10
95x5
135x3
185x1
205x1
235x1
260x1 (+5)
265x1 (+5)

Ring fallouts: (2)
x7

GIANT SETS (lunge - GM - core)

Hands wide SSB reverse lunge:
95x5
115x4
135x3
95x6

SSB good morning:
95x10
115x8
135x6
95x12

Hanging leg raise:
x10
+25x8
+35x6
x12

CONDITIONING

EMOM x 10m:

Burpees: x3
Zercher squats: 120x3

Happy I got that top set I missed last week. It was pretty slow, maybe had another 5-10lbs but I figure besting last weeks effort twice was solid and I shouldn’t be greedy. When I cycle back to this lift I’ll have a nice benchmark now.

Changed up the assistance a bit, mostly due to not wanting to deal with getting the bar in position for SSB front squats. I also think I can keep my head in the workout better when it’s different. I can bang out the same upper body workouts no problem, but I dread doing that on squat days. I figure as long as I’m completely thrashing my legs I’m getting what I want done.

Those weighted leg raises are a winner. Another @Alpha gem. Really transforms that exercise and I’m bummed I hadn’t tried them sooner.

Conditioning was just about the right kind of suck, which means I should push that prescription a touch harder for next time. Maybe an additional rep or a little more weight on the bar.

Edit: It just dawned on me now that I’ve forgotten twice to include power snatches or cleans in my workouts. I’m honestly not sure where to get them in there though.

1 Like

These and walking lunges are what I really wish I had a SSB for.

It’s really a fantastic piece of gym equipment. I have the OG Titan one, which by all accounts is a POS, but it works just fine for me. I’d love to splurge on a transformer bar though. Someday haha.

1 Like

11/24/20

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

NG chins: (middle grips)
BWx10
+25x5
+35x5
+45x2x5

Axle press:
50x10
85x3
95x3
105x8
105x6

Band high to low chop:
x10/side

GIANT SETS (press - dip - raise - pull apart)

BTN press:
75x10
75x7

Football bar press:
75x2x10

Axle press:
80x10
80x8

Dips:
6x fail

Lateral raise:
10x2x11
10x4x10

Band pull aparts:
6x20

Poundstone curls: (almost)
x75+25

Happy with this workout. Late AM off just breakfast rather than a full day of eating compared to last week. Some improvements across the board which is always cool.

Owe conditioning work, as I need to run out and get a covid test stat. Pretty unpleasant news mid-workout, but that’s pandemic life I guess.

2 Likes

11/24/20

Conditioning

EMOM x 10m:

DB Turkish get up: 40x1/side
Pushups: x5

Owed this from earlier. Pretty tough, especially now that my upper body isn’t just pumped from a workout but actually feeling the fatigue from it. Right oblique is a little cranky from those TGUs.

11/26/20

Pull workout

Hang power cleans:
45x5
65x3
95x2
115x2
135x2x2

GIANT SETS (jump - pull - core)

Box jumps:
x3

Mat pulls: (6)
135x5
225x3
275x2
315x1
365x3x5

Plank:
x30s

GIANT SETS (row - chin - core - core)

BB row:
140x3x10

Overhand pull ups:
2x6
1x4

Dip bar L sit:
x20s

Band good mornings:
3x10

Axle hold:
120x48s - 33s - 20+s

Solid AM workout, now to go be a glutton in the name of recovery. Started learning how to pull properly again by my third set today, idk why my body wanted to take a flyer on technique prior to that, but it’s all good.

I’ll be looking forward to the day I can hit sets of 8+ chins after those rows, should have added some good muscle to the back by then. Added the band GMs to that giant set because I wanted a bit more volume in this workout and they’re a fairly easy plug in. Might go with timed sets for them rather than rep counts.

No improvement on the axle hold this week, but I attribute that to adding the hang cleans today. Figure it’s the most sensible place to add them, and they’re just going to be light to maintain the skill set.

11/27/20

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (row - bench - core)

Single arm BB row:
25x10
55x5x8

Axle bench:
50x10
80x5
120x5
155x2x5
155x12

Renegade iso row:
25x10s/side

GIANT SETS (dips - tris - shrug)

Ring dips:
3x15
1x11

DB JM press:
25x3x10
25x8

Farmer hand shrug: (pause at top)
90x2x12
90x9
90x7

Good solid AM workout again. Been sleeping like a rock and eating fairly well. The past two mornings have been fueled off a fruit and protein smoothie, and cup of coffee. Seems to be working great as a pre-workout meal.

Short on time so wound up skipping conditioning, I’ll be able to make it up tomorrow.

2 Likes