Velvet's Lifting and Other Fun Stuff Log

Hey man, great showing in your first contest! You did really well, especially considering you didn’t train with implements. I find the log rather Impossible to replicate. A swiss bar is nice and all but it just isn’t the same. Even being a generally strong presser isn’t going to cut it in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks man! Yeah, the Swiss bar is was nice to have but the carryover probably wasn’t really there. It’s narrow enough to get a good solid rack and transfer the leg drive through. I hit 165 in training several times with room to spare, but the log was a much different story.

1 Like

Congrats on popping your comp cherry! Onto the next one?

2 Likes

Thanks man! Yeah I’d like to get another one in this year. Definitely need to get stronger first, and hoping one pops up that’s relatively close by to me. I’m not all that interested in traveling for a comp at this stage yet.

1 Like

2/13/19

Lower body workout

Warmup:
Airdyne
Band stuff
Squat stretch

GIANT SETS
Front squat: 115x5, 135x5, 155x5, 185x3, 205x1
Ab wheel: x5
Band hamstring curl: x5

Back squat: 225x1, 245x1
Ab wheel: x5
Band hamstring curl: x5

Body was feeling back to normal but my lower back lit right up during this. Definitely still recovering from Saturday haha.

Tried a few standing ab wheels. Still a long way to go before these are really doable, but I was able to use like 40-50% of shoulder ROM and return to the starting position.

3 Likes

2/15/19

Upper body workout

Warmup:
Airdyne
Foam roll
Band stuff

GIANT SET
DB Pendlay row: 40x8
Close grip bench: 95x5, 115x5, 135x5, 155x3, 175x1, 185x1, 195x1
Face pulls: x10

SSB JM press: hmm what?

Setting my last every day max tomorrow then starting the new program Monday. Will I make the switch to morning sessions?! No. But I think after this 9 week run I will, weather should start taking a turn for the better by then and I’ll want to enjoy it.

I saw a SSB JM press video in someones log so I wanted to see how it felt. Feels like I won’t be using it any time soon.

4 Likes

The progression I’ve seen on rollouts is to roll into a wall or something sturdy to stop you. If you can go to half ROM before you collapse then stand so that the wall is about at the 45% ROM. Roll the wheel out, tap the wall, and then go back up. Scoot further away from the wall as you get better.

I can’t do standing rollouts though. I really don’t even try. I get a good workout with the regular ones!

1 Like

If I try to program them in I think that’d be the way to do it. Stopping the wheel manually and returning it definitely takes more effort so even at like 45% I’m good for like 1 or 2 haha.

That said, my and have been so sore since Wednesday. I’m not sure if it’s from the couple standing, or the way I did the rest. I did them kneeling but went all the way down till my chest was on the floor and then returned up trying only use abs.

Also did a few reps paused just off the floor at full ROM for like 2-3 seconds. I’d say they were all effective haha.

2 Likes

The wheel always does a good job of making me sore. My gym has one but it’s usually nowhere to be found and it’s one of the small, plastic ones. Mine is a big one and I can strap my feet to it for further torture. When I’m at the gym I usually throw plates on a bar and use that. 10’s are too small so I use 25’s, 35’s, and 45’s. Each has a different effect due to the changing height and weight.

You should try forcefully exhaling on the way down. That forces you to really use your abs because there’s no bracing. I don’t always do that but I’ve tried it and it definitely makes it harder.

1 Like

Before I got my plastic wheel I’d use my EZ bar with plates (barbell is too long to use in my basement space). It made this horrid metallic squeaking sound and I’m scarred from it.

3 Likes

I just did some cambered bar JM presses today that added some extra stability difficulty to the movement. Felt pretty good. SSB would be different…

2 Likes

So how is the SSB JM press? @mr.v3lv3t

I may have to try these to see how they feel.

Oh and my gym got a westside bulldog bar. It’s thick thinking it’s a 55+ lber

1 Like

@littlesleeper That sounds pretty tough, definitely different than how the SSB is supposed to be I’m sure.

@losthog Check out the video below. My handles don’t come off and they make contact with my body that just messes with the movement.

3 Likes

2/16/19

Little bit of everything

AM:
Paused deadlift: 3 second pause
135x5
185x5
225x5
275x3
325x1
345x1

Noon:
Basketball: 60 minutes full court 5v5

PM:
Climbing:
4 pitches

2 Likes

Awesome day Velvet, looks like good fun

1 Like

It was a good day! I’ve been spending parts of today chopping and shoveling ice. Not as good!

1 Like

But a good workout though :slight_smile:

It’ll definitely leave you sore in the joints haha.

1 Like

There’s a comp that I’ve been doing every year in September that takes place around Acton, ME. Something you might be interested in. Always a good time

1 Like

I’ll keep my eyes peeled for it, that’s super close to me. Thanks for the heads up!

1 Like