60x10
70x10
70x7

Pullaparts:
Red x4x12

4 Likes

This workout looks fun

How do you like GIaB so far?

@losthog This workout is probably the most fun out of the group of them. Football bar press is pretty nice.

@mortdk So far so good. It’s hard to gauge how effective it’s going to be with the layout of the program, but I’m looking forward to the PR sets on the anchor phase to see how it goes.

How far of a trip is this for you? I’m ~3hrs away from Montreal.

It’s about a 5.5 hour ride on average, I’m on the northern east coast of the US.

2 Likes

9/5/18

Experiment

Squat isometric contraction:
100% x2x5

Tempo back squats: (2020)
180x3x5

Tempo belt squats: (2020)
180x3x5

Well, learned that tempo squats are pretty difficult today. Had to be told several times to slow down on the concentric portion, pretty wired in me to lift the weight explosively. Quads are pretty pumped up though, should probably make use of these sometime.

Got hooked up to electrodes that tracked my muscle activity which was pretty neat. Once my results are analyzed for their project my roommate is going to show me the data.

5 Likes

9/5/18

God is a Beast - Leader - C1/W3/D3

Warmup:
Throws
Face pulls
Walking lunges

Deadlift:
45x10
135x5
185x5
205x5
235x5
265x5
225x5
255x5
285x5

Dips:
8x8

T-bar row: (plates)
2x4x10

Decided to skip the 1 leg/core assistance due to the squats earlier, figured that’d cover it well enough.

2 Likes

10/6/18

God is a Beast - Leader - C1/W3/D4

Warmup:
Throws
Facepulls

Football bar bench: (outer grips)
45x10
95x5
125x10x5

Pullups:
10x7

Sandbag to shoulder:
100x5x2 (1 each shoulder)

Leg lifts:
5x8

Close grip tricep press: (inner grips FB bar)
95x12

Started with bench-pullups-sandbag for 5 rounds then switched to bench-pullups-leg raises. Shouldering the 100lbs wasn’t very difficult, going to just put the additional 50lbs in the bag when I get home from my work trip later this month.

Didn’t really have the mental fortitude for any additional assistance work so I just did a bunch of reps with the closest grips on the football bar. Pretty weird movement, unlike any other press I’ve tried before.

Anyway, last workout at home for 3 weeks. Going to have to try and find commercial gyms that’ll let me do drop ins or trial weeks. So far a cursory search has shown 1 Anytime Fitness that has a free 7 day trial so I’m going to capitalize on that. All the other gyms seems to be a little less generous, but one does have $5 day passes. Might make the most of those free 7 days, use the $5 day passes to finish up this program, then use the hotel gym the rest of the time I’m out there as an extended deload before starting the anchor.

2 Likes

10/8/18

Tried to swim at the hotel pool for a while today. Didn’t quite work out, ankle told me to shut that down quick.

Wound up sitting in the “hot” tub and just kicking it around for a while. Surprised how tender it still is. The hot tub is broken of course, so it’s more like a luke warm tub.

Haven’t gotten a chance to do any lifting since I got out here. Schedule has been pretty hectic but after tomorrow I’ll have my evenings free to do whatever I want.

2 Likes

10/11/18

God is a Beast - Modified Leader - C1/W4/D1

Warmup:
10 minute walk to gym

Press:
45x10
70x5
80x5
95x5
75x5
85x5
100x4+1 push press

Back squat: (hi bar)
45x10
115x5
135x5
155x10x5

Pullups: (various grips)
10 minutes - 78 reps

Making a little audible to the program while I’m travelling here. Going to hit all the required reps and sets, but I’m going to do 2 main lifts a day and then get my assistance in on a separate day. That’ll wind up working with my work schedule and gym availability much better than forcing the issue.

I definitely could have grinded out that 5th rep of the top set of press but I just didn’t.
Went with 60 second rests on the press, and 45 second rests on the squats, although the last 3 sets were a bit longer (probably 70 on the final). Last 1:30 of pullups was mostly singles too. Pretty different than the way I’ve been training lately.

3 Likes

Are you shrinking the rest periods?

I rest at 90 sec between sets. Sometimes I’m at the bar before my timer goes off other times I’m not really ready but when the timer goes I go…

Hard to say. I’ve been super or giant setting all of my movements for the last year or so. At times this has probably given me more rest between sets of a lift, but less cumulative rest overall.

So today may have actually been less rest between sets, but more cumulative rest, if that makes sense.

I will say that I try to keep moving during my session and push the pace. I think I’ve gotten something valuable out of it, and, I think after this program is over I may make a change in this regard for a period of time.

1 Like

10/12/18

God is a Beast - Modified Leader - C1/W4/D2

Warmup:
10 minute walk to the gym

Bench:
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
125x5
145x5
165x5

Deadlift:
45x10
135x5
185x5
225x10x5

Multigrip machine row:
"110"x5x10

First time benching with a straight bar in a while. I think I actually prefer a full grip now rather than the false grip. Felt better on the wrist and in turn my elbow didn’t bark at all. Pretty short rests on this, 50-60s.

Deadlifted with bumper plates and a fairly thin bar, made up for the wonky platform setup they had. Probably 35-50s rest throughout.

I’ve come to like machine rowing devices now that I know how to contract my back muscles. I’ll always get some work done on these when they’re available as I definitely won’t be putting them in my basement.

Looks like this gym has some hydraulic resistance machines. Pretty interesting, might see what they’re all about at my next visit.

1 Like

Hey, guys! He’s going to use the ARX machine!

:joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

hahaha This made me laugh
Have a friend I lift with at work, every time I start doing BPA he shouts out “haha he is using elastics”
:slight_smile:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy: is their really a better warmup?

1 Like

I could, and probably should do a bit more, but time’s tight these days haha.

1 Like

10/13/18

God is a Beast - Modified Leader - C1/W4/D3

Seated DB press:
30x5x8

DB hammer curl:
20x4x10

DB tricep rollover:
20x10
15x2x12

Rear delt fly:
10x3x12

Walking lunges:
BWx50

Leg raises:

Just got a bunch of assistance work in today in the crappy hotel gym. Legs are so sore today, those lunges were burning a ton.

Those DB rollovers are a pretty nice tricep exercise. I did them at a slight incline so I wouldn’t have to adjust the bench for the delt flys, but I should’ve done them flat. The 20s were a touch too heavy for the incline, but 15s too light. Oh well.

2 Likes

10/14/18

God is a Beast - Modified Leader - C1/W4/D4

Chest supported DB row:
50x4x10

Low incline DB bench:
45x4x8

Facepull:
'22.5’x2x15

Overhead tricep extension:
'37.5’x2x15

Quad extension: