Velvet's Lifting and Other Fun Stuff Log

9/21/18

Experiment

Helping my roommate with a study for his PT program. Something about belt squats vs back squats, how folks with bad backs can still train legs, etc. etc.

Anyway, familiarized myself with the belt squat apparatus today. Next week I’ll get hooked up to EMG’s and do 3x5 on the belt squat and 3x5 on the back squat with body weight. Without further ado:

Belt Squat:
45x5
95x5
135x5
180x3x5

Also, I want a belt squat machine. Thing is awesome.

2 Likes

9/21/18

God is a Beast - Leader - C1/W1/D4

Warmup:
Throws
Facepulls

Football bar bench: (outer grips)
45x10
95x10
115x10x5

Pullups:
BWx10x7

Leg raises:
10x5

Football bar JM press: (middle grips)
75x4x10

Pull aparts:
Red x 4x12

Flew through this, 35 minutes or so. Giant set of bench-pullups-leg raises. Finished with JMs and pull aparts superset. Paused all the bench reps for a second and took them dead stop off the chest since the weight wasn’t challenging, tried to be as explosive as possible.

First go around with the JM press. Not sure if using the football bar is the right move with the extra bulk, but my triceps are pretty lit up so I’ll stick with it for now.

1 Like

9/24/18

God is a Beast - Leader - C1/W2/D1

Warmup:
Machine leg extension
Machine leg curl

Back squat: (high bar)
45x10
115x5
145x10x5

Pullups:
7x10

Dips:
7x10

45* back raises:
1x30
1x20

Planned on using the SSB for this but wound up at the university gym tonight, so did some high bar instead. Giant set of squats-pullups-dips for 10 rounds. Really tried to push the pacing, got through 3 rounds non stop, the next 3 were a bit slower, and the final 4 had me breathing pretty heavy between stations. Squats were light though so I could keep pushing through.

Big time glute pump on those back raises. Legs felt great again with the machine warmup, bands don’t quite get that feeling in the knees.

3 Likes

I love the JM press for high reps. Make sure the bar is higher on the chest and the elbows don’t drop down below the chest. I almost come down in the lower neck upper chest area (impossible with a Swiss bar).

Great exercise for triceps that don’t destroy the elbows.

1 Like

9/25/18

C1/W2/D2

Warmup:
Throws
Face pulls

Press:
45x10
65x5
75x5
90x5
100x5
80x5
95x5
105x4 + 1 push press

1 arm barbell row: (plate weight)
50x6x8

Landmine twist: (Jeff Cavaliere style)
25x2x10
50x4x10

1 arm DB push press:
45x5
40x2x5

Upright row:
45x3x10

Pull aparts:
Red x3x15

Mid day workout, always kinda funky for me. Probably should have gotten 5 reps on that top set but couldn’t finish the last one. A little leg drive popped it up without any trouble at all.

Press-row-twist giant set followed by push press-upright-pull apart giant set. Adjustable DB handles suck, but it’s all I’ve got to work with at the moment and I think there’s probably some value in this movement.

Did the landmine twists Jeff Cav style, which entails a hard brace and a violent chopping/dropping motion. Had to up the weight for them this style to feel anything compared to the twisting style Alpha does or the static controlled versions you see.

9/27/18

God is a Beast - Leader - C1/W2/D3

Warmup:
Band leg extensions/curls
Throws
Facepulls

Deadlift:
45x10
135x5
185x5
205x10x5

Pullups: (various grips)
10x7

Dips:
10x7

Sandbag bearhug carries:
100x3x100’

Shins are feeling pretty beat up after this. Roommate told me to sit back a little further in the bottom of my setup. Didn’t feel any better or worse, probably due to the light weight, but he’s a 600+ pound deadlifter, so his advice is probably worth something.

Deads-chins-dips giant set, followed by the sandbag carries. Minimal rest through the first 5 rounds. Each round after that a few seconds were tacked on between movements, pull ups were the hardest part of the workout.

100lbs is pretty light for the pick and carry, figured I’d give it a few workouts at this weight though before bumping to 150. Not particularly difficult to shoulder the 100lbs on either side either, so bag over bar and shoulder loads will have to make a couple appearances prior to moving the weight up too.

1 Like

9/28/18

God is a Beast - Leader - C1/W2/D4

Warmup:
Throws
Face pulls

Football bar bench: (outer grips)
45x10
95x5
125x5
145x5
160x5
135x5
155x5
170x5

BB bent row:
45x10
95x5
125x5
145x5
160x5
135x5
155x5
170x5

Side bends:
8x12 (6 per side)

Overhead tricep band extension:
Purple x3x12

Pull aparts:
Black x3x12

Solid lift today, top set of bench felt stronger than the “other” top set. Think setup was pretty on point for it. I think I hate bent over barbell rows, but I’ll stick with them for a bit to see if I change my mind.

Did bench-row-side bend as a giant set. Didn’t know what to do for abs so I just grabbed my trap bar after rowing and did a set of side bends and stuck with it haha. Band superset at the end.

2 Likes

@Frank_C @mortdk

Have a funny one for you guys. Decided to pursue the police officer position after all and they asked me to come in for the written test, which consists of a practical portion and a personality screening test.

I nearly aced the practical, got a 97%. I failed the personality screening. I got such a high score they asked me to come in and try again, so I did. Once again, got a high 90s on the practical, and failed the personality test. Clearly I’m a sociopath and not cop material lol.

3 Likes

You’re probably perfect for the job but they’re scared of people with life experience. They want Poindexter because they think he won’t get in any scary situations.

1 Like

Might just be the case haha, I’m eligible to try again in March if I’m so inclined.

Uhhh i think they might be retarded…

Really sorry to hear that Velvet, give it a another shot this spring.

What do they want from that screening?
Is it an interview? and what does it contain?
There must be a way to know what to say and how to react.

I don’t know about the states, but here when applying you have to show that you know a bit about everything going on (so I read a lot of newspapers).
That of course isn’t all we do, when applying :slight_smile:

… Possibly to interesting to be a police officer :wink: lol

Nah, not retarded, just particular.

Not an interview, it’s like an online questionnaire that “assesses” your behavior from the answers you submit. It’s not an interview, but a series of questions that prompt you for an agree/disagree response. I’ve taken a lot of these between school and various jobs/interviews and I’ve never understood their value as they’re A. easy to game or overthink and B. tend to give inaccurate results.

Haha could be, maybe too thoughtful when it came down to the questions asked.

Took a motorcycle trip up to Montreal this weekend. Had a pretty good time but was a bit disappointed to have done primarily highway travel. Usually we find some nice back roads to cruise to our destinations. Neck is feeling beat up today from the wind, yoke gains.

3 Likes

Is the only way to ride a motorcycle :slight_smile:
BORN TO BE FREEEEEE!!!

That should be easy to solve, there must be some guideline for how one should answer.

1 Like

Agreed! Especially a naked bike, no fairings or wind screens makes the highway a pretty avoidable experience.

I thought so going back for the second round, but turns out I actually was closer to passing the first time.

1 Like

The fact that they told you to come try again proves that the test isn’t that important. It’s the psych test. How could you possibly change in six months? If that’s good enough for them then why not just skip the test.

Game the test. I can tell you that the current policing climate is to talk more, hit less. Just choose the answers that a liberal would give.

“Little Sally threatened to kill her mom and refuses to go to school.”

Should you:

Beat her ass and send her to school.

OR

Give her a hug and ask her what she wants.

The correct answer is now the latter one. Think like that and you should pass.

4 Likes

I’ll give it another shot in the spring and see if a little dishonesty gets me anywhere, wouldn’t that be ironic.

1 Like

8/1/18

God is a Beast - Leader - C1/W3/D1

Warmup:
Band leg curl/extension
Throws
Facepulls

Squat:
45x10
115x5
145x5
175x5
195x5
155x5
185x5
205x5

Barbell curl:
45x4x10

Pull aparts:
Red x4x12

SSB GMs:
105x5x10

Dips:
5x10

Got this in last night but had no time to hop on to log it. Got through this pretty quickly, about 40-45 minutes or so.

2 Likes