Dips - x7
Hammer curl - 35x8
Facepull - black x10

6 rounds

Dips - x12
Hammer curl - 35x18
Facepull - black x burning pump

1 round

Going out to dinner soon, so post workout drink will be a shower beer tonight.

Going to have a mild de-load next week, hit some more pumpy type stuff, then start the 3 day/week deal.

Some thoughts:

-Anyone who’s into 5/3/1 ought to try PR sets followed by BBB on squats. I understand why 5s pro is the go to, but for a couple cycles this was a valuable experience.

-Reverse pyramid AMRAPs are a great way to make lighter weights feel hard. I like these a lot, will eventually try them out on squats and press.

-The strict, push, power jerk drop set is something I’m not sold on. It might work better as a continuous drop set rather than rest/pause, or taking a real rest and continuing to get more sets in with that weight.

-I don’t think my back has really been affected too much from not pulling, rowing, or deadlifting. I think the bands did their thing for the most part. I feel like my back is smaller and weaker, but I’m sure it isn’t.

I don’t really get why Jim is so excited about the 5’s pro.

In the first, second, third, power, beyond he says PR sets.
He kind of hates doing 5 sets of 5 it’s boring, he doesn’t really like BBB, because it’s boring but it works.

In the first books he loves going in for obscure pr sets on the top set, SSL FSL, that’s what drives his motivation. I’ve been doing 5’s pro followed by 5x5 FSL and it’s boring as hell.

Did I mention I love PR sets :slight_smile:

And I really like your new plan Squat PR followed by close to a widowmaker is going to make you sorry you put these in the program :slight_smile: If they takes all energy from the session, I’ve read somewhere to put the widowmaker as the last exercise of the day.

I feel ya! I’m not crazy about 5s pro either, but I totally get why he’s about it these days.

My first cycle was 5’s pro and SST supplemental (same lift), wasn’t crazy about it.

Yeah the PR set and AMRAP is going to be tough for sure, good tough though. I’m planning on keeping them right in the middle and working under all that fatigue, we’ll see how that goes haha.

5/12/18

Pullup test

Did 7 sets of 5 with about 45s rest between sets. Just wanted to see how they’d feel and if I can get them into my sessions again. Didn’t seem to notice any elbow pain as long as I’m gripping the life out of the bar. Using a pinch grip isn’t going to work yet.

5/13/18

Deload week

Football bar clean and press away: (outside grips)
45x10
65x5
75x5
85x5
85x5 (viper and press away)
65x10 (clean each rep)

Pullups:
10x4

Football bar Z press: (middle grips, pins @11)
55x4x10

Front raise - 25x8
Lateral raise - 10x8
Pullaparts - red x12

4 rounds

Reverse curl:
35x2x12

Facepulls:
Black x2x20

Quick little session. Felt good to superset the pullups and pressing again, I think if I keep the reps lower and sets higher, shooting for total volume, I can start doing pullups regularly again.

Never done a viper before, certainly nothing like a log but this is the closest I can do at the moment. Pretty cool movement, would be curious to see how much I could do at some point.

5/14/18

Work

Hiked somewhere between 12-14 miles today. Carried all the building material 1/4 mile into the woods downhill, then a 1/4 mile uphill back to the truck. Repeat many times.

5/15/18

Deload

Easy site build today, thank god. Knees are letting me know about what I did yesterday.

Giant set:

SSB Squats:
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
185x5
205x1

Leg raises:
6x10

Pullaparts:
Black x6x10

Superset:

Sissy squats:
3x15

Band GM:
Green x3x15

Quick little jaunt down here. Sissy squats induced a pretty rugged quad pump without putting much stress on my beat up knees. This is good to know for assistance stuff.

5/16/18

Deload

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Pullaparts
Step ups

Trap bar deads:
45x10
135x2x2
185x2
225x2
275x2
325x2

Hammer curls:
25x 60 total reps

Felt good to do some dead lifts! Just doing doubles helps with the grip, and the trap bar doesn’t roll, so minimal elbow pain. Threw some light hammer curls between sets randomly to keep the joint lubed up, seemed to work. 325 moved pretty easily.

I hope my left knee calms down soon, the clicking is so loud. No pain or anything associated with it, but I’m not crazy about that.

5/17/18

Deload

Warmup:
Jumps/throws
Dislocates
Step ups

Football bar bench: (middle grips)
45x10
75x5
95x5
115x3
135x3
155x3
115x2x8 (inner grips)

Band row:
Black x8x10

Shoulder external rotations:
Red x8x8

Pushdowns:
Red x lots

Facepulls:
Black x lots

Fairly easy build today, fairly quick lift this evening. All around decent day. Gonna take a step away from weights the next few days, do a little band re/prehab and some light conditioning and get back at it.

5/21/18

Homebrew C1/W1/D1

Warmup:
Jumps/throws
Pullaparts
Step ups

SSB squat:
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
175x10
135x17

Clean and press away:
45x10
55x5
70x5
80x5
90x5
80x4x8 (last 3 sets out of rack)

Pullups: (various grips)
18x4

Floor press: (football bar, middle grips)
75x15
95x10
105x2x5
95x10
75x15

Pullaparts:
Red x6x20

L-sit/leg lifts:
2x15s / 4x10

Airdyne: 8 minutes

Well this was a hell of a workout. Took me by surprise a bit, but now that I’ve written it down I’m not surprised at all.

Did the whole workout giant set style. Started with squats-chins-press-chins, swapped the L sits in once I ran out of squats, changed those to leg lifts once I swapped press and chins for floor press and pullaparts. Probably going to choose a different ab exercise going forward.

Physically, I think I was good for 30 on that last squat AMRAP. Mentally I was not. Going to learn how to keep pushing with this template.

Planned to do a metcon circuit at the end here, but by the time I got there riding the bike seemed like a better (the only) option.

5/22/18

Conditioning

Airdyne Fartleks: ~15 minutes

No real rhyme or reason to the tempo and duration. Pushed through the pukey phase pretty easily and continued on till the light headed, kinda feel like I’ll pass out stage and called it.

I hate this form of conditioning, but I wasn’t feeling particularly creative today and didn’t feel like running in the rain.

Just something random I thought I’d share, found out my wingspan is 4" longer than I am tall. Makes sense when I think back to some of the climbing I’ve done.

Is that good? What made you measure that? What else did you measure… Haha

I don’t really think it’s good or bad, it just is. Was getting measured up for a groomsman suit. We kept it pretty PG haha. We were obnoxious enough without venturing into the inappropriate.

Ah a wedding! I love weddings! Hopefully you get the hottest bridesmaid to dance with and you drink way too much good booze :joy:

Haha thanks man, should be a good time. Dry wedding though (variety of reasons) but I’m not a bid drinker anymore these days so that’s actually no biggie for me.

I like weddings :slight_smile: Always so positive and happy peeps around there.

EDIT: btw wingspan is as I remember for most people the same as height.

And the food is usually pretty good!

Yeah I think height/wingspan is usually pretty similar. I knew my arms were a bit longer but 4" was a surprise for me.

That means they won’t serve alcohol at the wedding? Kind of extraordinary but makes sense if groom, bride or someone else is a recovering addict.
Still there should be some good food in large quantities!

That is correct. A lot of the folks are recovering addicts, and a lot of the folks are highly religious (a particular branch that condemns alcohol use). Easiest way to solve that problem is to leave it at home, or in a pocket flask for the bold haha.