Velvet's Lifting and Other Fun Stuff Log

Yeah I’ve been looking at those finishers too.

Is this a continuous set?

I’m impressed by your work capacity lol I’d be dead on the floor

@losthog @mortdk Thanks guys, I can’t speak to their efficacy yet, but I’ve been enjoying doing the work this way at least. I’m going to make a little change to them with the 3 day/week setup so they’re more full body than upper/lower.

@Koestrizer It’s a double rest pause set, I’d guess I’m taking about 15-20s rest between the sets. Basically the time it takes for me to walk to my whiteboard, put my number up, and head back to the bar. I will 100% forget the reps I do if I don’t jot it down immediately haha.

@painter27 It helps when I’m moving such little weight :wink: but thanks man! The leg drive makes a huge difference for me, I could most likely keep going a few more reps on the push press/power jerk, but I shut it down once I can’t control the eccentric any longer.

1 Like

I’ve got a little time today before my work day really picks up, been a while since I’ve had a day like this so taking full advantage!

For those interested, here’s my plan for the next few cycles, will probably run something like this through the summer:

Day 1 will be squat and press. For squats, I’ll work up to PR sets and then an AMRAP at FSL. Press will be 531 minimum reps followed by BBB at FSL. I’ll superset these, possibly a giant set with some kind of pull. Then a couple assistance and/or metcon circuits.

Day 2 will be bench and posterior chain. Going to stick with the football bar, work up to TM for 1-3 reps, then 5x5 at SSL. I’d like to put deadlifts on this day, we’ll see how the elbow feels about it, could try and pull a bunch of singles throughout the session. If I can’t, I’ll use some kind of hip hinge as the superset. Circuits at the end again.

Day 3 will be squat and press again. For squat I’ll do 531 minimum reps, then SSL for 4x8/5x6/6x4 for the corresponding week. For press I’ll work to PR sets and then rest/pause until I match the total I hit on my initial set. Circuits again.

For conditioning days I want to try and get 3 good days of hard conditioning in. Running, hill sprints, some kind of longer duration metcon circuit. Those are a few good options for me. Work might play a large role in how much of this I get in as some days will be long and brutal while others (like today) are more or less free of physical stress.

5 Likes

That looks like a solid plan mr. Velvet.

1 Like

5/8/18

Franken-531 - C2/W3/Squat day 3

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Pullaparts
Step ups

SSB squats:
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
175x5
195x6
155x3x10
155x6+4 (rest/pause)

Palloff press:
Black x5x5

Leg lift to L-sit:
4x5x2s

That’s all for today. My quads are so pumped I can’t fully straighten my legs, this is a cool and awful feeling.

After my first BBB set I knew I wouldn’t get all 5. After my third, I was confident I would. Halfway through the 4th, I started passing out. Unracked again to get the last 4 and the final rep or two were more good mornings than squats.

I had enough in me to do some assistance but I’ll be building a site in the field tomorrow so I don’t need to be complete trash.

4 Likes

I want some of that…

Cool…

Nice work man! Wish I was training with you

1 Like

Haha man you’d ruin me with all that volume you do!

1 Like

I cut back today you would be proud of me.

1 Like

I’m quoting this because I can only like it once, ha.

1 Like

I’ll need to catch up on your log sometime today or tomorrow - haven’t been spending nearly as much time on here these days.

Did you end up going with one of Alpha’s programs?

BBB after the PR sets is something I took from your log, damn you :wink:

1 Like

I added his giant set concept to my workouts. But not his program per say.

1 Like

Gotcha, his giant set stuff is where my assistance circuits came from more or less.

I’m hoping my body feels back to normal this fall, I’d like to give that Darkhorse program of his a fair shake.

2 Likes

So, when I say I’m working in the field it means I’ll either be hiking around scouting land or building these:

Sometimes I can drive our truck right up to the build site which makes the day pretty easy. Other times I’m hiking the material in 50-300 yards which gets to be pretty tiresome.

7 Likes

I’m also looking at the Darkhorse, have implemented the giant sets already, they work like a charm.

1 Like

It’s like a combo of his Conjugate and Powerbuilding programs, which both have piqued my interest. Seems like a ton of fun and misery wrapped up into one package.

2 Likes

I enjoy building and that looks like one of the nicer places one could hope to build in.

Are they camping spots on a property or…?

Yeah they’re camping sites on private property. The homeowner can rent them out to folks much like AirBnB, really similar platforms just a different execution!