Velvet's Lifting and Other Fun Stuff Log

4/4/18

Conditioning

Airdyne: 20m brisk pace

Just something quick and easy today. Feeling the DOMS like I haven’t in a while from head to toe. Bro-science or not, I generally find this is a good sign when changing up the lifting protocol.

3 Likes

DOMS are my favourite bro science. It just makes sense.

1 Like

I hate DOMS. It makes work way more of a pain than it should be.

1 Like

Oh 100%. This is the reason why I generally run programs that have me squat 3x a week. If I do it less than that I usually get nasty DOMS.

Leg DOMS + wheelbarrow work = no fun

2 Likes

I don’t mind it for the first week, usually after that it’s not as dramatic until the next training change.

I’m also a desk jockey most of the time, so it doesn’t affect my work really. I think it’s most dramatic just starting to move haha. Once I’m going the DOMS doesn’t seem to inhibit me too much, and even subsides until I become stationary again.

1 Like

The airdyne is so hard :slight_smile: how can you do a brisk pace for 20 minutes, I’m totally wasted after a few minutes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hard to say! I suppose it depends on your definition of brisk haha - my display is broken so I have no way to correlate that into data.

Brisk for me is something that gets my heart and lungs working hard, and is a strong effort, but doesn’t leave me dead on the floor. 20-30 minutes is tough but doable if I can keep my head in it, conditioning is harder mentally than physically for me. This would be like a fast jog/slow run for a few miles to equate it to something more trackable.

1 Like

I just hate to do conditioning indoor. On the Air dyne I do intervals like a tabata or something. And lying on the floor gasping for air like a whale afterwards :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahh yeah that explains it haha. I’d make it through the 4 minutes of Tabata and then vomit in the sink most likely. Sometimes I do Fartleks with it and I’m usually good for no more than 12 or so minutes of that, typically there’s quite a bit of grunting and whisper yelling :sweat_smile:

I don’t get psyched on indoor conditioning either, but since we have 6 months of winter around here it’s a necessary evil.

1 Like

4/5/18

Franken-531 - C1/W1/Bench day 1

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Pullaparts
Stepups

Football bar bench:
45x10
75x5
105x5
125x5
140x11
125x9
105x10

Single arm band rows:
Purplex6x10

Circuit 1:
Dips - BWx5
Band press - blackx6
Pullaparts - redx10

6 rounds/6 minutes

Circuit 2:
Pushups - BWx5
OH triceps extension - purplex8
Straight arm pulldown - blackx10

5 rounds/6 minutes

Airdyne: 5 minutes

Shoulders are cooked. Looking forward to giving them a break this weekend.

Rows between bench sets. About 60-75s rest between the drop sets.

That first pushup was maybe the hardest of my life, really thought I might face plant.

6 Likes

4/6/18

Franken-531 - C1/W1/Lower body 1

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Band dislocates
Step ups
Standing ab wheel (like half-3/4 reps, only tried it twice)

SSB GMs: (pins at 12)
45x15 (regular), 3 (deadstop)
95x3 (regular), 3 (deadstop)
115x5 (deadstop)
135x4 (deadstop)
145x1x5 (deadstop singles)
125x1x8 (deadstop singles)

McGill curl ups:
5x15s holds

Box squat:
45x10
115x8
135x3x6
155x8

Candlestick crunches:
4x10

Zercher GMs:
85x3x15

KB halos:
3x16x20

Airdyne: 5 mins moderate

Kind of an odd ball day, will play around with it each week. Think I have a decent idea of the layout I’ll use going forward at least.

2 Likes

4/8/18

Conditioning

Jog: few hundred yards to the hill

Hill sprints: ~40 yards x 10 sprints

Brisk walk: few hundred yards back home

Was a little cooler than I expected it to be, should’ve worn a hat.

1 Like

4/9/18

Franken-531 - C1/W2/Press day 2

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Band dislocates
Step ups

Press:
45x10
55x5
70x5
80x5
90x11 (strict)
90x7 (push press)
90x6 (power jerk)

Band rows:
Black x5x10

Circuit 1:
SG BTN push press - 75x4
Lateral raise - 10x8
Pullaparts - red x10

6 rounds/6 minutes

Circuit 2:

Full ROM front raise - 25x6
Pushdown - black x10
Facepull - black x10

6 rounds/6 minutes

Airdyne: 5 minutes

Felt like I got robbed on my set of jerks. Knocked the weight off the floor joist and had to resettle it at the top, got one more after that but it took all my rhythm away.

Got another round on each circuit. I think I can push it to 7 and 8 on these before it’ll be impossible to get the work done under the time constraints. Rear delts were screaming towards the end.

Holy shin splints! Do not like this feeling one bit, need to get the legs adapted and quick.

3 Likes

4/11/18

Franken-531 - C1/W2/Squat day 2

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Pullaparts
Step ups

SSB:
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
155x5
175x11
135x5x10

Palloff press:
Black x5x10

Candlestick raise:
5x5

Circuit 1:
Reverse lunge - BWx10
Fallout - 33 links x5
Band curl - black x10

4 rounds/6 minutes

Circuit 2:
Band GM - green x10
Band crunch - purple x10
Upper back extension - black x8

4 rounds/6 minutes

Was having a real solid workout until the circuits. Dropped a bar on my finger and pinched it between a bolt in the rack. Blew a hole right in the tip of my finger and it’s bleeding like a sieve. Threw off my groove pretty hard, but whatever, the main work went well which is most important.

4 Likes

That must have hurt, hope you’re okay.

1 Like

Hurt like a son of a bitch when it happened, but there’s no real damage. At this point it’s just a dull ache, one of those annoying little boo-boos that hurts way more than it should then goes away haha.

1 Like

4/12/18

Franken-531 - C1/W2/Bench day 2

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Dislocates
Step ups

Football bar bench:
45x10
75x5
95x5
115x5
130x5
150x7
130x9
115x10

1 arm band rows:
Purple x5x10

Circuit 1:
Dips - x5
Pushups - x5 (first 2 rounds on medicine ball)
SA pulldowns - black x10

5 rounds/6 minutes

Circuit 2:
Band press - black x6
OH tri extension - purple x8
Pullaparts - red x10

8 rounds/6 minutes

Airdyne: 2 minutes

Good workout today, finger started leaking from gripping the bar but nothing a band aid couldn’t solve.

Changed up the circuits a little, like this setup better than last week. Crazy how hard the bodyweight movements become so quickly. Doing the pushups on a medicine ball was silly. Felt nice, but not strong enough.

Quads were screaming on the bike. Like, searing burn type soreness. Shut it down quick. Squats yesterday were effective apparently!

4 Likes

4/13/18

Conditioning

Airdyne: 15mins brisk pace

So I have a measurable goal for the end of 2018 - SSB squat 315 for 3.

Not going to change too much about my approach. Will follow various 531 programs for the remainder of the year, then shift more focus towards the squat itself as I get closer to the end, some kind of peaking program probably.

For now, the big change will be swapping deadlift supplemental work for more squat supplemental. Each week, whether I’m doing 3 or 4 days, I’ll get two squat sessions in.

I’ll start implementing this after next week, or the second cycle of my homegrown program.

3 Likes

Yes, more squat!

Seriously I just finished up a 4 day a week 25rep squat to open each workout. Even on squat day (140ish total reps that day).
And my legs are rock solid. It was time well spent. Form is locked in. Bracing is solid. Working 5 rep sets is a breeze now!

1 Like

Were are you at with ssb squats at the moment?