Velvet's Lifting and Other Fun Stuff Log

I am roughly 26-28" across, using a dollar bill as a ruler.

This is what the bar looks like on my shoulders

1 Like

That’s super helpful, thanks man! I’m like 21" across, tops, based on my crappy tape measure+mirror job. Seems like I might be pushing the limits on getting any purchase from the internal handles and just getting all pad.

Also is that your garage?

I’m full of crap, i measured with a tape and am much closer to 22.5-23".

I wish it was my garage, although i would have spent less on medicine balls and more on other more fun things. I train in a small crossfit gym that rents a few garage bays next to a trucking company.

1 Like

I’m relatively wide. But I train my female clients on it without issue (slim gals).

1 Like

Was too hungover to do any kind of responding yesterday, buy thanks fellas! Sounds like the Titan might be the right move, as much as the idea of that transformer bar is rad I should probably save a little scratch.

3 Likes

3/19/18

Fine and Dime - Leader - C2/W2/D1

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
SA pulldowns
Face pulls

Dead:
45x10
135x5
185x5
225x5
255x5x5

Bench:
45x10
95x5
115x5
135x5
150x12

Face pulls: a bunch

Strapped for time today, traveling for work but had enough time to get the main lifts in. Had a real unhealthy weekend, still recovering from that haha.

Logging from my phone is hell.

4 Likes

Carried a ~40lb box about half a mile through Chinatown this afternoon. It was a big cube, couldn’t get a great grip on it. Biceps burning. About it for the activity I’ll be getting in today.

4 Likes

3/21/18

Hotel Workout - PM

Warmup:

Elliptical - heavyish resistance, 1 song

DB snatch:
1x35
1x40
1x45

DB snatch and push press:
50x3x3
40x9(R)8(L)

Chins:
2x8, 1x11

DB walking lunge/dead march:
50x3x gym length there-n-back

Cable chest press/high row:
"60"x4x10

DB goblet reverse lunge:
50x2x20
40x1x30

Cable facepulls:
3xlots

Didn’t really know what I wanted to do outside of the DB snatches today, but was happy to get some work in. I spent a good portion of the day building and taking down decking on not much food so I was happy with my pace, mostly everything was some kind of superset.

Going to get a quick circuit style workout in tomorrow before check-out.

1 Like

3/22/18

Hotel Workout - AM

Warmup: NONE!!?!?!

Chest supported DB row:
25x1x10
45x5x10

Medium incline DB bench:
25x1x10
35x5x10

DB RDL:
25x1x10
40x5x10

DB goblet squat:
35x1x10
50x5x10

Circuit style, fun way to train. Had a bag of chips and cup of coffee for preworkout. Decided to use the continental breakfast as my post-meal and it was surprisingly decent. Good on you Best Western.

3 Likes

5 Likes

A little update, going to make some changes to my training for the next 6 weeks or so. I’ve been really half-assing my elbow rehab and I need it to heal up ASAP for work and the upcoming climbing season. Time to follow the advice given to me by medical pro’s.

Basically, I need to chill out with the deads, chins, rows, and low bar squats for a while as these are the biggest stressors. Using straps for the pulling movements the past few weeks hasn’t really done much to help.

I’m going to pick up a bunch of bands today for pulling work, I can loop them around my wrist and take my forearms out of the movement. I’m also going to try rigging up a wrist strap/loading pin setup to do some plate rows. I think I can improvise assistance stuff well enough this way.

So, here’s where I’m going to ask for a little advice. @flipcollar @T3hPwnisher @MarkKO and also the folks that have been following along here.

Do you guys have any movements you suggest to help maintain or improve deadlifting strength that don’t involve much or any grip work? A couple that came to mind right off the bat are squats and/or good mornings from pins with the SSB. Don’t have any experience to draw from with these though.

I’ll still use 5/3/1 for press, bench, and squats the other 3 days if that helps.

Box squats with the SSB, back raises of all kinds, also front squats. Good mornings too. I don’t think you’ll lose a terrible amount of strength just by sidelining DL for a bit as long as the muscles involved get trained enough. Which they should, given you’ll be squatting and doing DL assistance work.

What about pulling with straps?

1 Like

This brought back bad memories. I also did them in a hotel back in August after a night of heavy drinking and not enough food. I felt okay-ish in the morning but thought a good workout would make me good as new. I felt so terrible after the squats with the exact same weight (because that’s the biggest DB in the hotel gyms) that I forced myself to puke.

Why??? Here’s what I bought to help with grip and they work great.

1 Like

I can vouch for pin/suspended good mornings. Use a large variety of them. I did zerchers off pins too, but not sure how your elbow will like that. I used an axle to reduce pain.

@Alpha did time with the giant strap deadlifts, and that looked crazy effective, but I can’t personally vouch for it.

SSB is also effective.

2 Likes

Ah box squats! I’ve never done them, good a time as any to try them, thanks!

Straps haven’t really helped as much as I thought they would, they’ve allowed me to take some stress off the forearm and helped get me through some sessions, but haven’t promoted any long-term healing either.

Rice bowl? For grip rehab…

1 Like

Haha yeah, squats and lunges with that 50lb DB had my glutes and hamstrings more sore than they’ve been in a while!

Part of the reason I grabbed the bands is that I’ve been meaning to pick some up for a while for things like facepulls, pushdowns, etc. Thanks for sharing those hooks, might be worth picking these up if my MacGyver job doesn’t go well.

Ohh I didn’t even consider zercher GM’s. I’ll have to give them a try, I think I should be good as it’s my lower arm that is causing me grief.

Think these movements are better served dead stop style?

That’s a good idea! Thanks man.

Looking over my training log/videos, it appears I felt like way, haha

I think the eccentric is too crazy to try to do touch and go. Granted, these were seated. I ended up sticking with singles.

2 Likes