DB spider curls:
20x3x10
20x15

Lateral raise: (drop set)
15x10
10x20
5x30
Hands x40

Pretty solid workout. Seem to have this press day pretty dialed in. It’s a longer workout but I’m hitting everything I want to in just under an hour.

SGBTNPP is quite the mouthful of a lift, but it’s a good one. Focusing on locking out hard and then controlling the weight slowly back down to my traps. I had one miss that hit the back of my neck which doesn’t feel great. Killed each set when the eccentric became too fast to control.

Plan to hit some quick conditioning a bit later. We’ll see if I actually get it done.

1/5/22

Conditioning

Pick Yourself up Curtis

For time:

BB Curtis Ps w/65lbs
5-4-3-2-1

Burpees
1-2-3-4-5

Time - 5:47

Solid little lung buster. Been wanting to take a crack at Curtis Ps for a while and they answer the mail as far as sucky movements go. The name was too easy for this. Scaleable as heck too.

1/6/22

Pull workout

Power snatch:
45x5
65x3
85x6x3

Power clean:
95x5
135x2x3
155x2x3
165x2x3
175x1

SUPER SETS (pull - shrug)

Clean pulls:
185x3x5

BB shrugs:
185x3x8

BB row:
185x10
185x8

Still working through things here. Assistance for these lifts is baffling to me, and it doesn’t help that I have no time to think about things when it’s time to lift. Always getting pulled one way or another these days.

First rep at 175 on the cleans was rock solid, then I hit the wall that has always reared its head when I try to push the weight on these. Basically once I hit the triple extension there’s like panic reflex and my mind makes the body bail on the lift. There’s no time to force it to do what I want at that point either. I actually belted up and took another crack at it, and wound up with a wonderful high pull to my lower pecs but then it shut down again. It’s almost like I black out but I never actually lose awareness.

Lifting sucks.

1/7/22

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (chin - bench - core)

Pullups:
1x8
4x7

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
150x3
170x3
190x3

Side planks:
x20s/side

SUPER SETS (bench - row)

Axle bench:
170x5x5

Chest supported DB row: (2)
70x1x6
70x4x5

Incline DB bench: (2)
50x14
50x8
50x7

Ring pushups:
x8

Band pushdowns:
x50

Band face pulls:
x50

Band straight arm pulldowns:
x50

Solid enough benching session. Drop the incline on the 350 set a notch and I felt it a lot more in my pecs rather than the shoulders.

Pretty uninspired by lifting right now. It’s always a slog but at least I usually feel good about getting it done. Almost feels like it’s just not worth the effort to me these days.

1 Like

1/8/22

Conditioning

Tabata burpees

That’s all for now.

You’re entering a transitional phase that’s tough for everyone.

You gotta keep going! You can find a through this slump. If you have to make a comeback, it will be even worse than this.

1 Like

Thanks Flats, appreciate you stopping by. No worries on that front, there won’t be any stopping here. Inertia and all that haha.

I’ve typed and deleted a response to this a number of times, and I’m not sure why I’m having such a hard time getting my thoughts into words. Maybe trying to wax poetic to an internet stranger, or try to speak (type) something into action.

Then I remembered one of my favorite phrases - “don’t talk about it, be about it”.

Here’s the thing, I don’t really give a crap about lifting anymore. I like being bigger and stronger, sure, but I don’t care what my bodyweight is or what numbers are on the bar that much.

The time I spend in the gym should be adding to the things I actually care about, making me better equipped to complete those tasks. Outdoor athletics mostly, and there’s a real itch to get back into a martial art that I feel like I need to scratch. I also just agreed to do another ultra, this time we’re going to do the 24hr relay race, so I have something tangible I need to build towards rather than directionless lifting.

I also know what the answer is. Do 5/3/1, and I mean legitimately do the program. I’ve done the sets/reps a ton, and a bunch of the templates, but really what I should be doing is applying the entire catalog of training like an athlete. That’s always been what I’ve identified as, more so than a lifter, and I don’t know why I’m trying to fool myself. Vanity strikes, and I think I fell victim for a minute there.

Something others do that I like is to use a phrase to describe their desired training outcome. “Be dangerous” or “more trouble than it’s worth” come to mind since I fanboy for those dudes. Mine would be “ready for action”. I know that if I’m training and eating with that idea in mind I can’t go backwards.

Feels good now that it’s all out there. Going to crack open Forever again tonight.

3 Likes

1/10/22

Squat workout

SUPER SETS (jump - snatch)

Box jump:
3x3

Power snatch:
45x5
65x5
95x5x2

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Squat:
95x10
135x5
185x5
235x5
185x2x10

Incline standing ab wheel:
5x7

GIANT SETS (band - band - squat)

Band hamstring curl: (seated)
3x15

Band quad extension:
3x15

Bulgarian split squats:
3x10

Calf raises:
2x15

Band shin pulls:
x30

Solid workout, nothing too fancy which is exactly what I need. Going to drop the “pull day” in favor of putting snatches with squats and cleans with deads. Going to do another four weeks of my combo template because I don’t absolutely hate what I have going on for upper body days, then switch to something pre-written from Forever.

1/11/22

Conditioning

Tabata front squats w/95lbs

Set up the bar last night so all I had to do was walk downstairs and bang this out before work today. It was unpleasant, to put it shortly.

3 Likes

1/11/22

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

NG chins: (middle grips)
BWx10
+35x4x4
+35x9
BWx15

Axle press:
50x10
85x5
95x5
105x2x5
105x7
115x7 - push press

Decline oblique crunch:
x6/side

Snatch balance:
115x1 - uh oh?

GIANT SETS (dip - curl - band)

Dips:
3x15
1x20

EZ bar curl:
55x4x10

Band pull aparts:
4x25

Lateral raise drop set:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

Work wound up getting delayed quite a bit, so I wound up getting a couple extra hours of sleep then doing this. That’s two workouts upon waking today, go me.

Main work was pretty solid. Experienced an unfamiliar and unwelcome pop in my right shoulder on that snatch balance rep, followed by some pins and needles running down my arm. Decided to just bail on that completely for the day and see what else I could do. Rest of the workout was unaffected, and it’s feeling fine now thankfully.

1/12/22

Deadlift workout

SUPER SETS (jump - clean)

Box jumps:
3x3

Power cleans:
45x5
95x5
135x5x3

SUPER SETS (dead - core)

Deadlift:
135x5
225x5
275x5
315x5
365x5
275x2x10

Decline reverse crunch:
6x7

GIANT SETS (row - shrug - core)

BB row:
225x5
185x8
135x11

BB shrug:
225x8
185x8
135x9

Band good morning:
3x10

Reverse hyper:
x10
x10 +half band
x10 +band

Hoo boy, 365 had no right being as challenging as it was today. That’s an “in the bag” weight for me up to like 10 reps, and 5 kicked my ass. I’m thinking hitting the deads a few days after squats instead of immediately after is a different fatigue response that I’m not accustomed to anymore. Should adapt fairly quickly.

Cleans were snappy and locked in, and assistance work at the end was quick and brutal. Strapped into the barbell and just took rows to failure then stood up and took shrugs to failure. Kept all that fairly strict rather than use momentum.

Some home gym ingenuity took place as I rigged up a pretty janky reverse hyper set up. I can hold the uprights on the rack close to the wall and change how much band tension I have by using one or two strands. Used all four foam pads to make it bearable on my hips, might need to search for some kind of dense foam to make this more viable because I dug it.

1 Like

1/12/22

Conditioning

DB Grace w/40lb DBs

Time - 3:21 (PR)

Quick and brutal, 38 seconds faster than the first time. Doing this with DBs is convenient because it requires literally zero set up and it’s a fair bit different than using a BB.

1/13/22

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (chin - bench - core)

OH pullups:
2x8
3x7

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
160x3
180x3
200x3

Side planks:
x20s/side

SUPER SETS (bench - row)

Axle bench:
175x5x5

Chest supported DB row: (2)
70x2x6
20x3x5

Incline DB bench: (2)
50x15
50x10
50x8

Ring pushups:
x8

Band pushdowns:
x50

Face pulls:
x50

Kroc rows:
70x19

Got called into work a couple hours early this morning as I was tying my shoes to do this, so I wound up dreading it all day. Turned out to be a pretty solid workout.

Picked up some nano-spikes today too so I don’t bust my ass trying to jog out on the trails this time of year.

1/14/22

Conditioning

Tabata burpees

Had plans to do a longer workout this morning, but overslept in the best way possible. Haven’t felt this refreshed from a single nights sleep in I don’t know how long. It was a fair trade if you ask me, because I feel great and long conditioning workouts suck. I can’t keep avoiding them though.

1/15/22

Cardio

Treadmill run - 6mph - incline 2

20 minutes

First time I’ve jogged since the race back in November. Sucked, but the treadmill always does.

Had some minor but legitimate foot injuries after that race so I had to take some time away, and once they healed I just kept putting it off. Back in the saddle now though. Hoping to get more outdoor runs in, but at 2* and high winds bringing the chill down to the -20* mark, indoors seemed to make more sense.

2 Likes