Velvet's Lifting and Other Fun Stuff Log

12/15/21

Conditioning

For time:

10-8-6-4-2

BB thrusters w/75lb
Burpees

Time - 7:11

This is a pretty solid winner of a workout. First time taking an honest crack at thrusters since they’ve always bugged my wrists. Powered through that and every set after the first felt better there, so I could have a future with that movement.

Definitely a scalable workout, can add weight, rounds, or swap the burpees for something more challenging like devils press too.

2 Likes

12/16/21

Pull workout

Overhand pull ups:
BWx5
+15x3
+25x3
+35x3
+45x3
+55x3
+65x3

SUPER SETS (row - shrug)

BB rows:
205x3x6

DB Kelso shrugs: (2)
70x3x7

Rear delt row: (3)
20x4x6

Band straight arm pulldowns:
x100

Decent though unspectacular workout. Happy to have squeezed it in before work rather than trying to hustle afterwards. That top set of chins was a pretty solid three rep effort, four would likely have been a max and maybe not full rep.

2 Likes

12/18/21

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (rows - bench - core)

DB rows:
70x5x7

Axle bench: (wrong weights)
50x10
120x5
150x5
170x5
190x5

Band crunch:
5x10

GIANT SETS (bench - band - shrug)

Bench:
160x4x10
160x9

Band face pulls:
5x10

Hang board shrugs:
5x10

Band push downs:
x50

DB skull crushers: (myo-reps)
20x9+3+3+3+2
20x7+3+3+2

Had a total meathead moment and used all the wrong weights for my main sets today. Should’ve been 5lbs heavier across the board, so it’s not like I was off by much, but I didn’t catch it until I had done the sets, haha.

Got so close to completing the 5x10 at 160. Ninth rep on the last set was brutal and I knew the 10th was going to result in the roll of shame. You might say that ninth rep was… RPE10. Couldn’t resist.

Took a flyer on myo-reps for the first time and I didn’t totally hate it. Got a sweet pump and a good amount of reps in. Takes a lot longer than a straight up rest/pause or drop set, but I still came in under an hour today.

1 Like

12/19/21

Conditioning

Heavy bag:

60s work/30s rest x 8 rounds

Jump rope:

602 work/30s rest x 8 rounds

Spent eight rounds on the bag throwing a different three-punch combo each round. Haven’t been on the bag in a while, felt good. Hands were fast today and there was some unintended pop behind some of the shots. I intentionally try and take it easy since I’m out of practice but it doesn’t always hold up.

Got some good single leg action going on the jump rope. Ceilings are too low for double unders, not that I’m any good at them anyway but I’d have to move outside to practice them.

Felt good to tap into the youth for a minute today. Used to spend a lot of time on the bag in my late teens after I stopped attending martial arts classes. My interests moved further towards the outdoor sports and away from fighting, but that fire has come roaring back the last couple weeks out of nowhere.

12/20/21

Leg workout

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Squats:
45x10
135x5
185x5
225x5
245x7

Incline standing ab wheel:
x6

SUPER SETS (pull - core)

Mat pulls: (7)
135x5
225x5
275x5
315x5
365x5

Dip bar leg raise:
x8

Walking lunges: (vest)
60x50

Band hamstring curl:
x50 rest/pause

Calf raises:
x30 rest/pause

Band shin pulls:
x30

Just something quick and to the point. Not much to write about here, legs are tired and shirt is sweaty.

1 Like

12/21/21

Conditioning

Juarez Valley

Front squats w/135 - 5 burpees between each set

Time - 11:35

Just checked back and I started two reps higher on the first set than last time I did this. Thought I beat it by one, but I was mistaken. That’s both good and bad, more squats and burpees the more it improves.

12/21/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chins - press - core)

NG chins: (widest to narrowest grips)
5x10

Axle press:
50x10
80x5
100x5
120x4
120x3

Band side bends:
5x10

SUPER SETS (press - curl)

Seated DB press:
40x2x8
40x9

Alternating DB curls:
25x2x8
25x9

SUPER SETS (dips - band)

Dips:
x22
x19

Band pull aparts:
2x50

Lateral raise:
5x75 rest/pause

Tried to streamline the usual work I do on this day to get it done as quick as possible. Just over 35 minutes to get it all done, not too shabby.

1 Like

12/22/21

Conditioning

Grace

30 BB floor to overhead w/115

Time - 7:58

Good thing I decided to scale it, that was rough. First ten went pretty quick, but the next twenty did not, haha.

1 Like

12/23/21

Pull workout

Overhand pull ups:
BWx5
+25x2
+35x2
+45x2
+70x1
+90x1
+110x1 (more like 3/4 but calling it a win)

SUPER SETS (row - shrug)

BB row:
215x3x6

DB Kelso shrug: (2)
70x3x8

Rear delt row: (3)
20x4x8

x100

Well, decided to just get silly with the last workout and see what I could do for a 1RM pull up. Emphasis on silly there. 90 was a good clean rep, and 110 wasn’t quite a full rep but it was pretty damn close.

On a non-training related note, my fiancee’s grandfather just gifted me five hunting rifles for Christmas. It’s a pretty tremendous gift and they’re beautiful guns. I’m not sure their age, but they’re definitely classics and in great condition.

1 Like

12/24/21

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (row - bench - core)

DB row:
70x5x8

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
165x5
185x5
205x4
165x12+4 rest/pause

Band ab crunch:
5x10

Band face pulls:
x50

Ring press:
1x failure

Band pushdowns:
x50

DB skull crusher - cali press - close grip bench: (mechanical drop set)
20x10-7-9

And with that, training this cycle is complete. On to the next bout of programming. Decided against BBB today because A) short on time today, and B) I kind of maximized what I can do with that last week and today would’ve been silly. Thinking I’m going to switch it up to 5x5 for supplemental work for a while. I did 4 cycles of BBB and it’s probably a smart time to handle heavier weights for a bit and hit the assistance with more volume before switching back to high volume on the main lift. Periodization!

1 Like

12/25/21

Conditioning

Cindy

AMRAP in 20 minutes:

5 pull ups
10 push ups
15 air squats

13 rounds + 5 pull ups

Merry Christmas folks, let the nutritional debauchery continue.

1 Like

12/27/21

Leg workout

Box jumps: x5

Squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
155x10x3 - EMOM

Incline standing ab wheel: (2)
3x8

SUPER SETS (pull - core)

Mat pulls: (7)
135x5
225x10
275x8
315x13

Weighted leg raises:
35x4x8

SUPER SETS (squat - band)

BB Bulgarian split squats:
65x5-4-3-2-1

Band leg extensions:
5x10

Band leg curls:
x50 rest/pause

Calf raises:
x30 rest/pause

Band shin pulls:
x30

Solid leg workout. Stealing some of @alpha’s programming for this block. I put the technique work in the beginning rather than after the “main” work, since I’d rather go all out on those + sets and not worry about being trashed for another barbell lift after.

Squats were pretty easy today, but they’ll be building towards something a bit less inviting towards the end of the program. Pulls were money, had the familiar experience of heat radiating from my hamstrings into my gut and face that I haven’t felt in a long time towards the end of that top set. I should’ve pushed a little harder, but I’m pretty deconditioned to that right now.

Assistance was solid, should’ve added weight as the reps dropped but today was just a feeler day. Bands behind the knees for the extensions feel miserable at first. Pumped blood into a the lower legs and called it good for now.

12/28/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chins - press - core)

NG chins: (wide grips)
BWx10
+25x4x4
+25x10
BWx13

Axle press:
50x10
75x5
85x5
95x2x5
95x12
105x10 - push press

Decline halo sit ups:
7x8

SUPER SETS (press - band)

Snatch grip BTN press:
65x9
65x8
65x6

Band pull aparts:
3x35

SUPER SETS (dips - curls)

Dips:
BWx10
+25x9
+25x8
BWx18

DB hammer curls:
25x3x10
25x9

Lateral raise:
5x25
10x15
15x10
15x10
10x15
5x25

Happy with how this workout shook out. Looking forward to seeing how my chins respond to this approach. I now have a known method for boosting my chinning ability, but this might be another good addition to the tool box.

Press was fairly light today, but it’s the first week of the Rhodes 5/3/1 template so it’s by design. I think I’m going to go this whole training block belt free on my strict press. Just to see what happens. Belted up for the push press set, wrists wound up being the limiting factor there. Had trouble transitioning between having the bar racked and getting stacked under it during the presses towards the end.

Everything else is going to stay mostly the same, but I’ll probably make minor changes each week. The snatch grip move will be push press on week two, and snatch balance on week three. Dips and curls will stay in but maybe different variations. Same with the lateral raises.

Back has been feeling a little off lately. I’m thinking my hips and/or lats are pulling things out of alignment. Once I got moving in the gym today I felt way better. One thing that is lingering in the back of my mind is that last night I tried to loosen up on a foam roller, and noticed some acute pain when pressure was applied to one of my spinous process. I planned on doing halos with a 15lb weight and as soon as a laid back and it went behind my head I felt a little twinge in that exact spot and my body rejected the movement. Unweighted it was fine though. Something to keep an eye on I guess.

12/28/21

Conditioning

For time:

Reverse lunges: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10
Air squats: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Time: 7:32

Had to wait around for a while to give away an old snowblower. Came back inside and knocked out a quick leg burner. Quads were hating this, but I was a little disappointed in how little work my lungs got. Until I finished, then my legs recovered pretty quick and I spent a good minute huffing and puffing.

11/29/21

Conditioning

Incline treadmill walk @ 3 mph

10m at incline 6 with 60lb vest
10m at incline 15 no vest

Dead hang:
3x30s - 60s rest between sets

Went with the easy conditioning choice today. Oddly, my calves are more sore than they’ve ever been aside from the couple days after that 25 mile run, and even then, I can’t tell which is worse. Weird, because all I did was one hard set of calf raises, and it’s something I’ve done before, not exactly a new stimulus. Either way, brutal knots and/or DOMS in them to the point walking after spending any amount of time not moving is a challenge. Hence the decision to walk up hill, try to get some blood into the lower legs.

12/30/31

Pull workout

Power snatch:
45x5
65x2x2
75x2x2
85x2x2
95x2x2
105x4x2

Power clean:
45x5
95x5
115x2x5
135x2x5

Snatch grip high pull:
135x3x3

Snatch grip power shrug:
135x10
185x8

Snatch grip BB row:
185x8
135x15

Kroc row:
70x17

Band ab crunch:
x25

This was the first “fun” workout I’ve had a long time. The skill portion of it made it entertaining.

I got to a weight that the power snatches slowed down noticeably at the first two sets of 105, but I realized my technique was pretty bad after the second set. I was basically humping the bar outward and swinging it over my head. Really focused on triple extension the next set and it popped right up. Going to need to dial in that form.

Power cleans felt crisp. I’m much more familiar with those.

No clue what to do for assistance work for these lifts, haha. I just did some stuff I knew would be helpful, high pulls to focus on some triple extension and rows for some positional pulling strength. The ROM on snatch grip rows is pretty comical.

Pumped my back out with the Kroc rows and the abs with the crunches and just called it.

@kdjohn I’m a little too early into this journey to really know what kind of assistance lifts I should do for the snatch. In your opinion, do you think it’d be more worth while to hit 2-3 lifts for a few sets/reps, or use complexes? Power cleans I should be able to get a good handle on fairly quickly.

1 Like

Both and neither.

More than anything, your time should be spent on the lifts themselves. Like, 85-90% of your volume should just be hitting the snatch or clean (in your case), at a low enough intensity that rep speed and integrity stays strong. These lifts are, when you get into actually wanting to improve them, so freaking technical.

The best thing to do with complexes is find out where you’re fucking up on the lift and/or failing it, then add exercises to address that. So in your case, if you’re bumping the bar forward, it means you’re probably overextending and not driving your force upwards, in which case you’d want to build a complex that deals with that issue.

And example off the top of my head would be something like snatch pull + hang snatch high pull + snatch (or power snatch), done for 2+2+1 (meaning 2 snatch pulls, immediately followed by 2 hang snatch high pulls, followed by one power snatch). This will train upward force. I would also encourage you to think about NOT touching the bar with your hips; hip contact should NOT be a goal, it should be a result of keeping the bar so close to your body throughout the second pull that as you fully extend, you inadvertently make contact.

Assistance would also boil down to where your weaknesses are. Mine, for example, are stabilizing the bar overhead after the 3rd pull in the snatch, so I do a lot of overhead work and hang pulls as assistance. If your issue is solely with bumping the bar outwards, something as simple as tall snatch high pulls (basically an explosive snatch-grip upright row) will help you train that upward pull of the bar.

But again, the main focus needs to be on improving the technical aspects of the lift.

2 Likes

1/1/22

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (chin - bench - core)

Overhand pullups:
5x7

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
140x3
160x3
180x3

Side planks:
x20s/side

SUPER SETS (bench - row)

Axle bench:
165x5x5

Chest supported DB row:
70x5x5

Incline DB bench: (3)
50x12
50x8
50x6

Ring pushups:
x8

GIANT SETS (tri - delt - lat)

Band pushdowns:
3x20

Band face pulls:
3x15

3x20

Starting the year off right with a fairly easy bench workout. Going with 3s pro and 5x5 supplemental. Plan is to use double progression for supplemental like I did with 5x10 until that dies off and change it up. Paused all the main work reps as they were fairly light to start the cycle.

Went with Paul Carters 350 method for my DB pressing, but I set the incline a bit high. Plan to rotate that movement each week, still using the 350 method, and chase it with a set of ring pushups to failure. Really get the pecs torched.

Used the band to just flush blood at the end there since I’m dragging ass today.

@kdjohn Thanks for the feedback man, appreciate the guidance. Definitely helps steer the ship.

1 Like

1/3/22

Leg workout

Box jumps:
x5

SUPER SETS (dead - core)

Deadlift:
135x5
225x5
275x5x5

Decline reverse crunch:
7x5

Hatfield squats:
45x10
135x15
165x10
195x11

Incline standing ab wheel:
4x6

EMOM x 10:
DB RDL - 70s x5
Reverse lunges remainder of minute

Band hamstring curl:
x50

Calf raises:
x30

Band shin pulls:
x30

Always takes a few workouts to get new programming dialed in but I’m on my way there. This was pretty good. Going to need to learn how to dig in deep on those Hatfield squats. Need to find that next gear for them and just go for broke.

1/4/22

Conditioning

Tabata workout:

Odd rounds - prisoner squats
Even rounds - lateral lunges

Quick and simple pre-breakfast conditioning workout. Killed two birds with one stone here. Wasn’t overly hard, but got the blood moving and lungs working a little. Been meaning to hit some lateral lunges here and there to help with mobility so this was a good opportunity to get them done.