Hangboard shrugs:
5x10

SUPER SETS (band - skull)

Band pushdowns:
2x failure

DB skull crushers:
20x9
20x5

Solid workout today. Felt heavy at first, but turned in some solid sets on the supplemental. Chest and tri’s are just smoked after these bench days.

@kdjohn Thanks man! That’s a fantastic starting point. Definitely want to pursue both lifts, because the one time I actually put some effort into training the power snatch, it was maybe the one lift I actually enjoyed training haha. I decided against the jerk, since I train in my basement and overhead space is somewhat limited to smaller diameter iron plates. I might be able to swing a 45lb bumper overhead with a snatch grip, but I won’t be touching 135 again for a little while there anyway.

Bookmarking this post so I can come back to it when the time comes. In terms of assistance work for the two lifts, I already know I have plenty of pulling power from the floor for each. It’s definitely the transition from “float” to overhead that I struggle with in the snatch, and for the clean when I fail a heavy rep it’s usually because my body overrides the brains demand and just does a sloppy high pull.

1 Like

11/22/21

Leg workout

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Hatfield box squats:
45x10
135x5
185x2
225x2
245x2
275x2

Incline standing ab wheel:
6x5

SUPER SETS (deads - core)

Deadlifts:
135x5
225x2
275x2
315x2
385x2

Dip bar leg raise:
5x6

CONDITIONING/ASSISTANCE

EMOM x 9 minutes:

5 burpee buy in
Reverse lunges remainder of minutes 1,4,7
Band hamstring curls minutes 2,5,8
Calf raises minutes 3,6,9

Operating off about 90 minutes sleep and 800mg of caffeine today. Last thing I wanted to do was lift, but this was a solid workout. Going to make Hatfield squats to a box a core lift of my upcoming programming. Should put some size on the ol quads I’m thinking.

That double at 385 was pretty smooth, not bad for how little I’ve put into the deadlift since February.

Wanted to skip assistance or conditioning, so decided to just combine them into one thing. Was a decent compromise but shouldn’t make a habit of doing it.

3 Likes

11/23/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chins - press - core)

NG chins: (widest to narrowest grips)
6x8

Axle press:
50x10
80x5
100x3
120x3x3x1 - cluster sets

Band oblique crunch:
x10/side

Dips:
x50 rest/pause

Lateral raise:
10x50 rest/pause

Axle curls:
50x50 rest/pause

Band pull aparts:
x100 rest/pause

Took the dog for a walk, and came home to find our new mattress delivered. It’s a 150lb king size tube, so I fingal fingered it up, let it drop onto my shoulder like a giant 4x4, squatted it up and carried it inside. I figure since I was nice and warm after that, I should go lift.

Tried out cluster sets for the fist time. I’ve seen them in a handful of CT articles and since I’m just freestyling fright now I figured why not? I don’t think I’ll circle back to these any time soon.

Rest pause everything just to get it done afterwards. Got a handful more things to do today before we take off on vacation later this week.

11/23/21

Condtioning

Dumbbell Hell

Tabata thrusters with 25lb DBs

Tabata devils press with 25lb DBs

Had 10 minutes to spare and this really fit the bill. Going to call it Dumbbell Hell, but it’s not going to be a static workout. I’ve got a handful of ideas to make using my set of 25s miserable and I don’t see the need to come up with a different name for the same feeling haha.

11/24/21

90 minutes yard work

Pull workout

Overhand pullups:
BWx10
+15x2x10
+15x2x8

GIANT SETS (pull - row - band)

EZ bar pullover:
45x2x12

BB row:
185x2x10

Band straight arm pulldowns:
2x15

Incline prone flys: (2)
10x2x14

Kelso shrugs: (3)
10x100

Solid but unspectacular workout. Final phase of this programming when I return from vacation then changing it up.

1 Like

11/25/21

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (row - bench - core)

DB row:
70x3x7
70x2x6

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
160x5
180x5
200x4

Band ab crunch:
5x10

GIANT SETS (bench - band - hang)

Axle bench:
160x2x10
160x9
160x8
160x7

Band face pulls:
5x10

Hang board shrugs:
5x10

Band pushdowns:
x50

DB skull crushers:
20x12+5+4 rest/pause

Solid pre-thanksgiving dinner workout. Fiancees family does a lunch time dinner, so going to have a little packet of tuna to satisfy the anabolic window then go crush several plates.

12/3/21

Conditioning

Blind Leading the Blind

Time - 21:37 w/25lb DBs

10-8-6-4-2 for time:

DB man makers
Devils press
DB thrusters
Burpees

Didn’t do a single bit of training while I was on vacation, which was awesome, but I needed to get back into it right away when I got home with a hard conditioning workout. I remembered how much this sucked the first time I did it, and I’m able to report that it still sucks very much.

This is one of the few signature workouts I’ve come up with, at least I think so, so when I decided on it I also decided I’d give it a name. It was a pretty easy one, as the first song on the playlist when I started out was Trivium’s Blind Leading the Blind. Great song.

It also makes sense, since the movements get easier down the list but you’re getting more and more smoked from the harder moves preceding them. The pacing also gets faster as the reps get lower so you’re just piling on the fatigue. No time to wipe the sweat from your eyes, just keep going.

My feet of all things were screaming the most. @ChongLordUno @T3hPwnisher I think this one is right up your alley fellas.

3 Likes

Love it mate

1 Like

12/4/21

Conditioning

30 sandbag over bar for time - 13:47

150lb bag over axle set at 20

Had intentions of doing a carry focused workout, but the day got away from me a bit and I opted for something I could blow a lung out on a little quicker. I need to load up my keg and my other bag so I have some heavier implements to carry. The 150lb bag has some challenges since it’s packed pretty tight, but ultimately it’s a bit too light for how short the runs are in my basement. This was a solid compromise as it’s something I can come back to and try to chip away time at. Could see myself getting this around 9 minutes and really hating myself for it.

12/6/21

Leg workout

SUPER SETS (squats - core)

Squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x2
225x2
245x2x2
225x2x3
185x10

x5

SUPER SETS (pull - core)

Mat pulls: (7)
135x5
225x2
275x2
315x2
365x2x2
275x10

Dip bar leg raise:
x6

GIANT SETS (squat - raise - band)

Bulgarian split squats:
BWx3x5 - slow eccentric and pause at bottom

Calf raises:
BWx3x10 - pauses at stretch and contraction

Band leg curls:
3x15 - emphasis on end, middle, and beginning ROM

Decent enough workout, didn’t kill myself but hit things a bit harder than I have been lately. Not sure how I want to approach assistance work for my leg days, but I’ve got time to consider some options.

Going to hit up some conditioning in a little while. Have plenty of time to get it during the lifting session but my interest was waning pretty bad towards the end so I decided to afford myself the break instead.

12/6/21

Conditioning

Tabata:

Odd rounds - plate swings w/2 25lb plates
Even rounds - DB goblet squats w/40lbs

New bed frame got delivered shortly after I wrapped up my first workout. Lugged that inside, and opted for something quick and dirty before I go upstairs to build it.

12/7/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

6x9

Axle press:
50x10
80x5
100x3
110x3x4

Band side bends:
x10/side

GIANT SETS (press - raise - band)

Seated DB press:
40x12
40x8
30x14

Seated lateral raise:
10x3x15
5x30

Band pull aparts:
1x34
2x33

Dips:
x50 rest/pause

Seated DB curl mechanical drop set: (incline, regular, drag)
20x9-5-5
20x7-3-4

Pretty solid workout. Was floating on the chins, and the axle pressing felt pretty solid. Killer pump from the rest of the workout. Think I’m going to hit the curls with some bodybuilding techniques for a while and see if that does anything special for the biceps.

1 Like

12/8/21

Conditioning

Juarez Valley

Front squats w/135 - 5 burpees between each set

Time - 6:50

Starting my day off right (wrong). With a big covid surge in my state it’s knocked my work schedule back to emergency only type situations for a little while, so I should be able to squeeze in a bunch of little workouts here and there.

Got a decent active day planned. Going to make breakfast then take the pup for a long walk, helping a friend move some furniture (whack) then going to get in some floor to overhead conditioning session this evening. Probably use DBs for that.

12/8/21

Conditioning

30 DB floor to overhead w/40lb DBs

Time - 3:59

Took a little variation of the Grace WOD for a spin this afternoon. Much easier than the Rx’d workout, but nonetheless, I get it now. Lungs on fire.

Furniture moving got cancelled (yes!) because it’s snowing, so gonna have a tuna packet and go out of move some snow. Depending on whether I have to get another shoveling session in or not I might even go for a third workout today.

12/9/21

Pull workout

Overhand pullups:
BWx5
+25x3
+45x4x3

SUPER SETS (row - shrug)

BB rows:
195x3x6

DB Kelso shrugs: (2)
70x3x6

Rear delt rows: (3)
20x3x8

Band straight arm pulldowns:
x100

Good enough workout, pullups felt strong. Going to ramp the weights more next week and see about hitting +65x5. The rows and Kelso shrug combo is money, going to keep that one in mind for the future.

12/10/21

Bench workout

GIANT SETS (row - bench - core)

DB row:
70x4x7
70x1x6

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
145x5
165x5
185x5

Band ab crunch:
5x10

GIANT SETS (bench - band - hang)

Axle bench:
160x3x10
160x2x8

Band face pulls:
5x10

Hang board shrugs:
5x10

Band pushdowns:
x50

DB skull crushers: (rest/pause into drop set)
20x9+5+5 - 10x8

Pretty decent bench workout. At a funny point now where the double progression for BBB is slowing to a rep or two per week increase, but the main work by 5/3/1 week is getting too heavy. Going to finish this cycle and re-assess. Switching to BBB at FSL probably makes sense, and 3s pro or minimum reps can be a consideration.

12/11/21

Conditioning

Ladders

1-2-3-4-5 x2

Football bar viper press w/95 lbs
Axle continental cleans w/120 lbs
Burpees

Time - 17:49

Man, this was a brutal workout and exactly the type of thing I’ve been missing in my programming. Going to keep some version of this as a mainstay since it’s immanently scaleable. Can add weight, or rounds, or try for PRs. Got what I needed out of it today though as I absolutely blew out a lung.

Funny note about it is that I had to make myself do continentals rather than just clean the weight. Straight cleans would have been easier and faster, but that wasn’t the goal.

12/12/21

Leg workout

SUPER SETS (dead - core)

Deadlift:
135x5
225x3
315x2
365x3x2

x5

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Hatfield box squats:
135x10
185x10
235x9
235x7

Laying leg raise:
x6

GIANT SETS (lune - raise - band)

SSB reverse lunges:
95x3x5

Calf raises:
3x10

Band hamstring curls:
3x15

Band shin pulls:
x30

CONDITIONING

Tabata renegade rows w/40lb DBs

Hatfield squats are what’s up. I have a feeling my pants are going to be fitting tighter working these into the routine. Might ditch the box on them as I found I was naturally just grazing it before coming back up, so that could save me a couple minutes worth of setup time. I just spoke it into existence, no box.

That little Tabata conditioning thing sucked. My shoulders were burning up something fierce. I remember the first time I tried to do renegade rows I could barely manage them with 15lb DBs. I was at a public gym and tried with 25s first and nearly face planted. I did one set and put the DBs back. 40s were challenging but doable. That’s cool.

1 Like

12/13/21

Conditioning

Bodyweight Tabata

Odd rounds - burpees
Even rounds - prisoner squats

Quick little number before I hit the road for a long travel day. Had plans for a front squat workout this AM, but my dog was up all night sick so when she finally calmed down I grabbed a little extra sleep instead.

1 Like

12/14/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chins - press - core)

5x10

BB press:
45x10
95x5
115x5
105x2x5

Band side bends:
x10/side

SUPER SETS (press - band)

Snatch grip BTN press:
65x2x8

Snatch grip BTN push press:
95x2x5

Snatch balance:
65x5
75x5

Band pull aparts:
6x20

Dips:
x50 rest/pause

Lateral raise:
10x50

Cross body hammer curls:
20x10
30x10
30x8
20x16

Solid workout. Pressing with a barbell is so weird having been away from it for so long. At first I found it much more difficult than the axle, then it started getting much easier. Axle feels a lot better though even though it’s a less wieldy implement.

Played around with some snatch grip stuff as that’s going to be on the menu per @kdjohn’s rec. I can probably set a pretty easy overhead PR on the snatch grip BTN press, but I’d have to dump the bar afterwards because there’s no way I’m willing to gamble lowering it back down onto my traps haha. Got a good shoulder pump trying to control the eccentric though and I got mostly clean catches dropping it the last inch or so onto my traps. Snatch balance is a funky one, but I got the hang of it fairly quickly. Did some drop snatches with the empty bar too just to see what those are all about.

Those cross body curls are weird. I couldn’t really feel my arm muscles working that much, but towards the end of each set they were getting too pumped to complete a curl.

1 Like