7/15/21

Conditioning Circuit

Overhand pull ups:
x10-8-6-4-2-20 (rest/pause)

Dips:
x10-8-6-4-2-20 (rest/pause)

Jump rope:
x100-80-60-40-20-200

Solid little conditioning session. I’m a big fan of that rep approach, as you get to keep moving the same pace once the fatigue starts setting in. For this one it was a bit too easy so adding in the 20 repper at the end was useful.

@ChongLordUno I hated every second of it man, one of the worse ones I’ve come up with doing this.

7/18/21

Conditioning

Southwood complexes: (power clean - front squat - push press)
95x8
95x6
95x4

First time taking a crack at this Dan John classic. Decided to go with the complex approach since I wanted to get in a conditioning workout and that made more sense than sets across. Also threw a very small amount of leg drive behind those presses to keep things moving at a good clip. For a sub-10 minute workout this is a solid stand alone option, but there’s a lot of room to play and add to it. Burpees or pull ups would slot right in pretty nicely between rounds.

1 Like

Squat workout

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Box squat:
45x10
95x5
135x5
175x5
205x5
235x5

Incline standing ab wheel:
5x5

GIANT SETS (squat - shrug - core)

SSB box squats:
175x3x8

DB shrugs:
70x10
70x2x9

Ring superman planks:
3x30s

SSB Hise shrugs:
175x13

SUPER SETS (rdl - hang)

RDL:
135x10
185x5
235x5
185x10

Hang board shrugs:
4x10

Calf raises:
x30-10-30

Band shin pulls:
x30

Band hamstring curls:
x30

Hip flexor “raises”:
x10/side

Decent enough workout after the deload. Felt heavy but it always does when I haven’t used the barbell in a week. My TM has gotten to where I make 30lb jumps on my working sets instead of 20, so that’s pretty cool.

Decided to change the FSL to 3x8 from 5x5 to save a couple minutes of time. It’s not much, but it leaves a few minutes to hit some stuff that’s been ailing me.

Incline ab wheel is pretty legit. I have an extra length of 2x6 laying around so I leaned it against the steps and anchored it with a DB. Figure I’ll work up some to some higher reps, then lower the angle and start over. Might be the ticket for getting to legit standing ab wheels.

@flappinit Hey dude I’ve seen you sing the praises of hip flexor raises, and I think I need something like that in my life. Dealing with a bit of a strain and I think working them is the answer rather than stretching or doing nothing. I tried using my arm loops on my rack, but I’m still way too close to the ground. My knee was at basically a 90* angle during them. Think rigging something up with a band and doing them laying down would be a reasonable substitute?

3 Likes

I do the same thing. Like you said, saves a few minutes, and pushing for a few more reps doesn’t hurt either.

1 Like

Yes!

1 Like

Yup. That’s a good substitute. You can also use the band to pull your leg behind you while you stand up. I’d say do both - if you rig it up lying down, then you’ll be operating directly against band tension with your knee lifted the whole way, which is good, but with the leg being pulled back you’re getting an active loaded stretch, and then as your knee comes up, you’re maintaining tension but moving the band perpendicular so its an easier strength curve on the hip flexor.

So yeah - both, I would think.

I share @kdjohn’s excitement.

1 Like

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

NG chins: (widest to narrowest grip)
BWx5x11

Axle press:
50x10
80x5
90x5
100x11
80x13

Band oblique crunch:
x10/side

GIANT SETS (press - raise - band)

BTN press:
70x4x8

Lateral raise:
10x4x10

Band pull apart:
4x25

Lateral raise drop set:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

ALTERNATING SETS (dip - curl)

Dips: (amrap in 60s)
x24
x21
x20

Axle curls: (amrap in 60s)
50x22
40x26
30x39

This was definitely the right move for my press training. A little bit of a change from what I was doing before and seeing results, but very much in the same mold. Reps on the top sets weren’t as high as I would have liked to see, but it had been a while since I was hitting high rep AMRAPS and my conditioning for them fell through. I’m guessing, as usual with deloads too, I’ll come back next week and best those numbers at a slightly higher weight. Did a total TM reset too, so I have plenty of cycles to grow here.

Supplemental is going to change each week between BTN press on 5’s week, football bar press on 3’s week, and push press on 1’s week. I’m leaning towards cleaning each rep on the push presses to get some extra work in.

Shoulders were blown up something fierce by the end of the supplemental work, and then the lateral raise drop set was just rugged. I’ll be using good old double progression on the supplemental lift, and then focusing on improving rep quality and MMC on the smaller stuff for now. I was doing a bit of cheating today to hit the numbers so if I can keep working towards strict reps that should work out.

The assistance at the end is something I’ve taken a liking to. Just setting my timer for EMOM stuff and hitting 60s work/60s rest. Dips and curls work pretty well there, as they just turn into big rest/pause sets during that minute and then it’s a good break before you hit them again. Something in my lizard brain is saying I miss doing the Poundstone curls, but I don’t, haha. I initially planned to keep doing those, but I wanted time curling heavier weights and this approach gets me that. Still burning up the forearms in that minute too, so not losing too much ground there.

@kdjohn Yeah man, I 100% stole that tidbit from your log when you posted about it recently. Makes perfect sense haha. But, anything after like 3 reps on squats for me becomes a total drag haha.

@flappinit Thanks for the info man, I’ll have to rig up a few different configurations and see what’s going to work out for me. Too young to be moving this old haha.

1 Like

I agree. I’d still rather hack out a few extra reps and have to repeat the torture less times.

1 Like

7/21/21

Conditioning

Banded hip flexor raises:
Laying x10/side
Standing x10/side

Tabata alternating burpees/prisoner squats x 2 rounds

Tabata alternating reverse lunges/hollow holds x 1 round

Should’ve just kept going with the burpees and squats, that’s a great combo. The lunges actually bothered my sore hip, but I’m wondering if small doses might be the medicine it needs. Either way, solid 15 minute workout here.

@flappinit Definitely a different experience between the laying and standing hip flexor raises. Have any tips on execution for these? I approached it by moving through the range of motion somewhat slow and deliberately, with a pause at the “top” before lowering under control again. By rep 6 on my right leg I was having to take little breaks before completing the 10. On the non-problematic left side I could crank through no problem. Figure adding reps is the ticket here vs. more band tension.

@kdjohn I honestly don’t know what I prefer out of the two man. I think, 0 squats, yeah, that’s what I prefer haha.

1 Like

Some really nice work going on in here Velvet and those hike pics are on point. Good job mate.

1 Like

7/22/21

Cardio

Jogging: ~30 minutes

Went to the trails with the pup for a bit, no rhyme or reason to our pace or idea of what kind of mileage we put in. Speed varied from fast walking to full on running throughout, but I was pouring sweat and she was cooked afterwards.

@simo74 Thanks man! Hoping the weather breaks right and I get to add some more hiking pictures this weekend. The thunderstorms have been relentless up that way.

7/22/21

Pull workout

BB row:
45x10
95x5
135x3
185x3
205x3
215x3
225x3
235x3

SUPER SETS (chin - band)

OH pullups:
+15x3x6

Band pullovers:
3x8

Wide NG inverted row:
4x8

Band straight arm pulldown:
x100

Entering the final cycle of the HSS-100 template here. Sets below 5-6 reps on BB rows are kind of silly to me, but I’m just following it as written. Cool thing though, is those 3 reps at 235 were all pretty strict and I actually felt my back muscles squeeze and pull the weight up. I think the best triple prior to all this I ever did was a heaving effort of 215.

Just focused on the squeeze and deliberate ROM for everything else, shooting for that pump. Triceps got some sneaky work in at the end with that 100 repper too.

1 Like

7/23/21

Bench workout

SUPER SETS (bench - row)

Axle bench:
50x10
80x5
135x5
155x5
175x10
155x11

Band high rows:
5x10

CIRCUIT (row - bench - pullover)

Pendlay row:
155x10-8-6-4-2

Floor press:
155x10-8-6-4-2

DB pullover:
40x10-8-6-4-2

EMOM: (12 rounds)

Half burpees: x5
Bench press: 45xAMRAP until 300 reached

Rock solid bench workout. Hated doing this, so you know it was good, now the hard part - eating for the rest of the night.

That assistance circuit is Rx’d with bodyweight and under 10 minutes if possible. I could do one or the other, and opted for less time because at 185 I’d have been down there way too long chasing those reps. I forgot to look at the clock, but it took me about 2 Trivium songs so that’s right around 10 minutes. As I was nearing the end of the circuit I was thinking “this is plenty, I’ve done enough” knowing how much that challenge at the end was going to suck.

I tried to do 30 reps on the bench throughout, but after a few rounds it dropped to 25. Then rest/pause 25. Then 20. Then rest/pause 20 until a final round of 30 that had my whole upper body burning up. I didn’t touch chest or lockout on any of these, just pumped away like a madman until my arms were numb.

7/24/21

Hiking

Cannon Mountain
18/67
4.2 miles (116.5 total hiked)
2,263’ elevation gain (40,332’ total gained)

So this was a short and intense one. Very steep trail, and there were slabby sections of wet rock from the weeks of rain. Really increased the adventure point value, especially on the way down.

Love this area, and it’s one of the best ridges around, but this peak was kind of a bummer. It could be fantastic, but there’s a tramway that brings folks to the top (it’s a ski mountain after all) and my word is that obnoxious. Similar to Mt. Washington, it’s basically a tourist trap, but not quite as offensive.

Felt good to get back out there though. I hiked in trail shoes rather than boots for the first time and what a game changer. I think I’ll be looking to invest in a more hardy pair since these ones aren’t rugged enough for mountain trails.

3 Likes

Glad to see you’re still rocking the conditioning my man

1 Like

Great pics mate. Is this New Hampshire ? Some stunning scenery up there.

1 Like

7/26/21

Squat workout

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
185x5
215x5
245x5

Incline standing ab wheel:
1x6
4x5

GIANT SETS (squat - shrug - core)

SSB box squat:
185x3x8

DB shrugs:
70x2x10
70x9

Ring fallouts:
3x10

SSB Hise shrugs:
185x13

SUPER SETS (rdl - hang)

RDL:
135x10
185x5
235x6
185x11

Hang board shrugs:
4x10

Calf raises:
BWx30-10-30

Band shin pulls:
x30

Band hamstring curls:
x30

Band hip flexor raises:
Laying x10/side
Standing x10/side

Late getting this workout in, and wound up sharing the gym with my S/O which was a nice change of pace. Made for more rest on the main sets since we were switching out weights. Pup even joined us down there for a bit. Was actually kind of nice.

Hip and knee are all sorts of cranky today. I’m not ready to call them injured, but they’re definitely hurting.

@ChongLordUno Trying my best not to completely neglect it man. I hate it the most, which means it’s always the first thing to drop haha.

@simo74 Thanks man, and you are correct. Good ol’ NH, my home state. Love that place, one of the most underrated states in the country IMO.

1 Like

7/27/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

NG chins: (widest to narrowest grips)
1x12
4x11

Axle press:
50x10
85x3
95x3
105x10
85x14

Band oblique crunch:
x10/side

GIANT SET (press - raise - band)

Football bar clean and press away:
80x4x8

Lateral raise:
10x4x10

Band pull apart:
4x25

Lateral raise drop set:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

ALTERNATING SETS (dips - curls)

Dips:
x27
x24
x20

Axle curls:
50x25
40x26
30x39

Decent AM workout. Terrible night sleep, dog woke up at 12, 2, and 4am to go to the bathroom. Seems she was experiencing some GI distress, but I’ll take the wake up calls over cleaning up an accident.

Conditioning is never up to par in the morning, but the strength is always the same. Fought off puking a few times just during the warmups. I’m clearly not a morning person anymore.

Really liking the way this workout has come together. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out over the next few months.

1 Like

I always found the opposite. I could get up and run early in the morning but lifting anything heavy was tough. Maybe this old body need time to warm up!

1 Like