Overhand pullups:
2x10

EZ bar pullover:
35x2x15

Close neutral grip inverted rows: (15)
3x15

Band upper back good morning:
x100

Pretty solid workout, great pump and everything felt really locked in today. Did about 2 hours of yard work shortly before this. Pretty filthy, feeling pretty good. Have some work homework to do tonight so I don’t make a fool of myself tomorrow.

6/19/21

Bench workout

SUPER SETS (bench - row)

Axle bench:
50x10
80x5
145x5
165x3
185x9
165x9

Band rows:
2x9
3x8

EMOMx10 axle press:
80x10-8-6-4-2-10-8-6-4-2

EMOMx10 SUPER SETS (DB - core/hang)

DB clean and press:
40x2/side

Hollow rock remainder of odd minutes
Hang board remainder of even minutes

Sweet early workout today. Starting to warm up in the basement so the axle is getting tougher to hold on to.

Opted out of the usual superset because both the assistance and conditioning workout from Brians program looked like the challenge I was looking for today. Some leg drive snuck into that axle EMOM work on the second sets of 8 and 6, last reps only. Good challenge. I altered the second one slightly by including the hang board instead of doing hollow rocks every round because I want to make sure I’m hitting that in my workouts at least twice a week. Haven’t trained against the clock like that in a while, good stuff.

1 Like

5/22/21

Squat workout

SUPER SETS (squat - core)

Box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
190x5
210x5
230x5

Ring fallouts:
3x10
2x9

GIANT SETS (squat - shrug - core)

SSB box squat:
190x5x5

DB shrugs:
70x3x7
70x2x6

Ring superman planks:
5x20s

SUPER SETS (rdl - hang)

RDL:
195x5x6

Hang board shrugs:
5x9

Calf raises:
BWx30-10-30

Band shin pulls:
x30

Band hamstring curl:
x30

I’ve been living pretty unhealthy the last handful of days, so it was nice getting back to my normal today. Wound up turning back the clock a little this weekend and just cutting loose, although in much more moderate fashion than the younger me haha. Followed up with an impromptu two day work trip that I wasn’t prepared for. Feels good to get back to the normal way I live for sure. Plan is to bag a few peaks tomorrow.

Also, I’m finding another use for Dardens 30-10-30 thing. It seems to be working great as a pre/rehab protocol.

1 Like

6/23/21

Hiking

Skunked - 0 peaks
Unkown mileage
Unkown elevation gain

So I went out hiking Wednesday and had one of the worst days of my life. My dog got spooked about a quarter mile from the summit of my first planned peak, and shot like a cannon back down the trail. She was missing for about four hours, most of which I spent searching for her alone. I had to leave the area I was in to get service to call for help, and once said help arrived she was found in about 30 minutes. By the time we got home, my head was pounding and my body ached like I’ve never felt before. I think the extreme stress I experienced messed me up a little.

Everything is okay now though, so no harm no foul. She’s uninjured aside from a few scrapes and I’m okay too aside from my hamstring which feels like it’s going to snap at any moment. Probably just need to stretch.

I was pissed at myself, because I didn’t read the situation all that well. Normally she’s so excited to be out on the trails and has the time of her life, but she wasn’t really into it and head been acting a little weird all day. I also wasn’t really feeling it that day, and decided when I was minutes away from the first peak that I’d just get that one and come back for the other two another time. Then my plans changed again, haha. I think I’ll have to keep her leash in my hands or at least attached to my hip for a while after this.

The leash when she drags it acts as a natural braking system. It’ll get caught up on rock and roots frequently while we hike. On her sprint down that happened exactly zero times, of course. But once I got to her last known location, and some hours went by of fruitless searching, the thoughts of what if she’s stuck now started creeping in. Just a rough, scary day, and absolutely not how I imagined a chill 31st birthday would turn out.

Some cool trail features though, I’ll post them up since I may take a different route next time I go out for these peaks:

2 Likes

6/25/21

Press workout

SUPER SETS (press - chin)

BTN press:
45x5
65x5
85x5

Strict press:
95x5
105x5
115x5

Push press:
125x5
135x5
145x4

NG chins: (various widths)
10x8

GIANT SETS (dips - raise - band)

Dips:
5x15

Lateral raise:
10x5x10

Band pull aparts:
5x25

GIANT SETS (curl - band - core)

Axle curls:
40x4x25

Band pushdowns:
4x25

Standing plate halos:
35x4x10

Been a mess all week and just wanted to do something consequence free today. Opted to do with CT’s continuous ramp method for pressing since it has always seemed like a neat idea. For a one off, definitely makes for a fun time lifting. I probably could have had 5 on that last set, but I got all out of position after the 4th rep and I didn’t want to drop steel weights on my concrete floor. Added one more set of chins on the hang board to get a clean 80. Not a single set of chins was challenging which is cool.

Rest of the workout was just chasing as big a pump as I could. Was a nice break from what I had been doing before, this style of training definitely just suits me, but there’s value in doing the things you hate.

Gonna be playing catch up all weekend with lifting. Might take a week away from the trails and let my brain reset a little after Wednesdays fiasco.

6/26/21

Pull workout

BB row:
45x10
95x10
135x10
165x3x10

GIANT SETS (band - chin - pull)

Straight arm band pulldown:
2x12

Overhand pullups:
+5x2x9

EZ bar pullover:
35x2x15

Kelso shrugs: (w/ 2ct pause at top)
40x3x12

Band inverted shrugs:
x100

Not a whole lot to report, just a solid back workout. Really seeking out the pump and trying to hit failure with whatever weights I’m using by manipulating tempo and holds and stuff.

6/27/21

Bench workout

SUPER SETS (bench - row)

Axle bench:
50x10
80x5
120x5
155x5
175x3
195x5
175x7

Band rows:
3x9
2x8

GIANT SETS (dip - push - core) - 5 rounds

Dips: x20s
Push ups: x20s
Hollow rocks: x20s
Rest: x60s

CIRCUIT (row - bench - push) - 3 rounds

DB rows: 70x30s/side
Incline bench: 40x60s rest/pause
Deficit push ups: x60s rest/pause

Hang board:
4x20s
1x30s

Bench felt pretty whack today. Was hoping for 7 reps on the top set but only got 5. Shoulders are absolutely smoked coming into this so I’m guessing that’s got a good deal to do with it.

Every time I do stuff from Brians programs I marvel at how weak I am haha. Those timed sets are just absolutely brutal.

6/29/21

Squat workout

Box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
200x5
220x5
240x5

Ring fallouts:
4x10
1x9

SSB box squats:
200x5x5

DB shrugs:
70x4x7
70x1x6

Reverse crunches:
5x8

SUPER SETS (rdl - hang)

RDL:
195x4x8

Hang board shrugs:
5x9

Calf raises:
BWx30-10-30

Band shin pulls:
x30

Band hamstring curls:
x30

The humidity has full on leached into my basement, I’m absolutely drenched after this. Solid enough workout, but tweaked something on my top set of squats a little, probably a piriformis thing since that’s what the training articles tell you gets jacked up. Feels like something a lacrosse ball could work out.

Getting some ridiculously deep in-roads with those calf raises (lol). Just going to keep sticking with bodyweight on those and use them as prehab for that tendonitis my leg seems to be wanting to develop. It’s feeling good now since I’ve taken a little time away from hiking, probably won’t get back out until next week realistically.

7/2/21

Press workout

Hang clean and press:
45x10
65x5
95x3
115x1
Begin EMOM and leg drive
135x3x3
135x2
135x6x1+4 press away on final set

CIRCUIT (press - chin - dip) 60s rest between stations

DB strict press:
25x3x60s

NG chins:
BWx3x60s

Dips:
BWx3x60s

GIANT SETS (raise - curl - band) 30s rest at end of rounds

Lateral raise:
10x5x30s

Axle curl:
50x5x30s

Band pull aparts:
5x30s

CONDITIONING

Tabata burpees: yuck

I’ve been slacking hard lately, so I decided to punish myself for that. I was planning on getting in my press workout yesterday, but plans changed. My best bud was in town, and we were each others first lifting partners way back in the day so whenever one visits the other we always try and relive the teenage years with stupid workouts. He wound up injuring himself mountain biking a few days prior though and wasn’t able to lift so I just scrapped it altogether to hang.

I should have just gone with doubles at 135 out of the gate, as I burned myself out way too quick on those EMOM sets with triples. Finished it off with a press away set on the final clean to get a few extra reps. None of those sets looked or felt very good. I hate using a barbell now too after having spent so much time on the axle.

Decided to use timed sets for all the assistance work, and that is really where it’s at for me. There’s always a balance between going too hard too early with minute long sets but not sandbagging it, but you know when you’ve done one or the other. I was pretty stoked with my pullups, I got a minimum of 25 reps on each set so I got a lot done in a short amount of time there. Every time I rested I moved my grip in a little closer to a stronger position and was able to just keep cranking them out.

After the second round of assistance work I was deeply uncomfortable due to the pump, but I wasn’t done making myself pay for being a slug the past couple weeks. Tabata burpees were on the menu for that, unfortunately.

2 Likes

Another one who has succumbed to the lure of the working man’s exercise

The burpee

Salute to that shit

Keep going brother

1 Like

1 Like

7/3/21

Pull workout

BB row:
45x10
135x10
165x4x10

Straight arm band pulldown:
2x12

Overhand pullups:
+5x10
+5x9

EZ bar pullover:
35x2x15

Kelso shrugs: (w/ 2ct pause at top)
40x15
40x2x12

Inverted band shrugs:
x100

Just a solid back day workout, nothing too notable but a pretty good pump.

@ChongLordUno I’m tuning out that sirens song for now haha. They’ll probably make the token appearance once in a while but that madness hasn’t infected me yet.

@kdjohn Fear not my man, I don’t hate myself that much yet.

1 Like

7/4/21

Hiking

Mt. Isolation
17/67
14 miles (112.3 total hiked)
3,722’ elevation gain (38,069’ total gained)

Another peak bagged, thankfully. I lost some serious steam on the second half of June. This was a rugged hike. Overall the trail was pretty easy, most of the elevation gain happens early on then it’s pretty gradual. Thing is, I did this with a friend who is an ultra-runner, so trying to keep up with him in the early goings had me hurting.

I’d not recommend this hike to a friend, especially on a rainy day. I kept my phone in my waterproof pocket all day, so no extra photos, but it isn’t exactly a picturesque hike. It’s a very long trail through thick woods all the way to a bald summit that normally has decent views, but we only had about 40-50 feet of visibility that day.

The entire trail was under at least 2" of water, often times up to 8" of a running stream or muck puddles. Couple that with constant rain, wet trees on a narrow trail, and a few river crossings made for a very soggy day.

Right leg was acting up big time towards the end, but we couldn’t tell if in the distance we were hearing fireworks or an incoming thunderstorm so I had no time to dwell on it. I’m just going to keep trying to force my body to heal and keep putting on the miles.

Somehow all of this was still fun in a very type 3 way.

1 Like

7/5/21

Bench workout

SUPER SETS (bench - row)

Axle bench:
50x10
80x5
140x3
160x3
180x9
160x9

Band row:
4x9
1x8

Axle floor press:
80x Tabata

Deficit pushups:
x Tabata

Quick and dirty bench press workout before a family cookout yesterday. I realized as I was looking at my notebook that I did two 5/3/1 workouts in a row coming into this, so I skipped 5’s week and went right to 3’s week. I’ve been so spaced out with training lately that it’s come to making gigantic errors like that. No wonder the previous bench workout felt so damn hard. Legs are feeling pretty special after the 4th of July hike.

7/6/21

Squat workout

Box squats:
45x10
95x5
135x5
210x5
230x5
250x5

Ring fallouts:
5x10

SSB box squats:
210x5x5

DB shrugs:
70x5x7

Dip bar leg raise:
5x8

GIANT SETS (calves - shins - hamstrings)

Calf raises:
3x10

Band shin pulls:
3x10

Band hamstring curls:
3x10

If my legs were feeling beat up yesterday, I might as well have been an amputee candidate this morning. All around my knees I have the strangest sensation and soreness, like there’s fluid built up being pushed around when they bend and flex, but they’re not swollen. My achilles were basically frozen when I got out of bed and took a few steps to loosen up. To say I was walking like a reject is an understatement.

About an hour later, none of that mattered, as I found myself hauling ass chasing my in-laws dog down some train tracks for about half a mile. He got spooked by the fireworks last night and took off, went missing for 13 hours. FIL finally called for help this morning after spending the whole night looking with a headlamp, and I happened to see him down some tracks a few miles from their house as I was driving by. Hopped out of the car and tried getting him to come to me, but I think he was too far to realize it was me calling so he kept trotting away. Told myself not to lose sight of that dog and just took off after him, eventually corralled him in a random driveway and got him home safe. Legs felt way better after that.

Fast forward a few hours, legs are wonky again, but I have one of the strongest squat workouts I’ve ever had. Getting a full ROM during warmups was troublesome, and pacing around between sets was questionable, but the weights were flying today. The body is a weird thing. No rest on that last giant set, just trying to focus on the stretch and squeeze to get blood going in these areas to promote healing.

3 Likes

7/7/21

Press workout

GIANT SETS (chin - press - core)

Chins:
BWx10 - hang board
+25x5x5 - widest to narrowest neutral grips
+25x10 - overhand

Axle clean and press away:
50x10
80x5
100x5
110x3
120x3
130x1
80x13 - clean each rep

Tate band side bend:
x10/side

GIANT SETS (dip - curl - band)

Dips:
x25
x20
x17

Axle curls:
50x24
40x29
30x43

Band pull aparts:
3x40

Lateral raise:
10x20
5x20
2.5x20
Hands x20

Decent enough workout, but it was just that along with basically all of the press training this cycle. Scrapped my planned programming pretty early on as I just didn’t care for it and going back to something 5/3/1-esque after the deload next week. Have a pretty good idea of how I’m going to approach it.

7/8/21

Pull workout

BB row:
45x10
95x10
135x10
155x10
185x10
195x10

Band straight arm pulldowns:
2x12

Overhand pullups:
+5x2x10

EZ bar pullovers:
35x2x15

Kelso shrugs: (w/ 2ct pause)
40x2x15
40x12

Band inverted shrugs:
x100

Last pull workout before deload. Got 8 pretty strict reps at 195 on the rows then cheated a bit for the last 2, not too shabby.

Glad you got the dog home safe and massive respect for still getting the work in under what sounds like pretty awful conditions.

1 Like

7/10/21

Bench workout

SUPER SET (bench - row)

Axle bench:
50x10
120x5
150x5
170x3
190x7
170x8

Band rows:
5x9

GIANT SETS (press - raise - pull - bench)

40s work/20s rest east station, 60s between rounds

Standing Arnold press:
2x25xAMRAP

Lateral raise:
2x10xAMRAP

Band face pulls:
2xAMRAP

Neutral grip DB bench:
40x2xAMRAP

CONDITIONING

Close grip pushups:
90 on/90 off
60 on/60 off
30 on/30 off

Deficit pushups:
90 on/90 off
60 on/60 off
30 on/30 off

Hand release pushups:
90 on/90 off
60 on/60 off
30 on

Hang board:
5x25s

Planned on doing this early today, but wound up having to take a call shift this morning. Wound up getting 4 hours of driving and a work appearance in prior to this, but all went well(ish). Bench felt a little unstable but got the reps I figured I would.

Assistance was hard but felt strong, was able to pace myself well throughout the sets and maintain a fairly steady degree of work.

Conditioning was a different story, those were just brutal rest pause sets. Felt good to get them in though. Hangs were somewhat tonic feeling after all that, but forearms took a few minutes to become useful again.

7/14/21

Conditioning Circuit

DB man makers:
25x10-8-6-4-2

Devils press:
25x10-8-6-4-2

DB thrusters:
25x10-8-6-4-2

Burpees:
x10-8-6-4-2

Deload week, and decided that I’d be stepping away from the barbell completely this week. Started it off by junking up my hip flexor throwing a dog ball of all things, then having a two day work trip where I was on the road quite a bit. Body felt good today after sleeping in my own bed though and this is what I came up with for this afternoon.

Absolutely brutal. My rear delts were the weak link in all this, somehow, but they were just burning up the entire time. No great way to find a breathing rhythm for this, and it was apparent as I was gasping for air after the final two burpees. Should probably go mop the sweat up off my basement floor.

The movements work pretty well in that order. The man makers set the table for supreme suckage, and the devils press feels comparatively easy so you wind up speeding up when your heart and lungs want you to slow down. Once your shoulders are toast the thrusters keep them working, and the burpees are basically active rest by that point. I’ve figured out how to make burpees not suck, and it’s by putting a bunch of awful stuff before them.

@ChongLordUno @T3hPwnisher You fellas may find this one up your alley.

3 Likes