15 close grip
15 bench grip
15 press grip

DB row:
50x10
50x19

Fallout: (side bolts. 30 links)
2x15

Managed all this in about 40 minutes. Super/giant sets throughout without stopping much. Pretty light headed and a bit nauseous at the end.

Finally rigged some chains up on my rack for assistance work. Think the next time I do these I’ll move the handles up a few links for rows and down several for fallouts. Speaking of fallouts, did them for single leg/core work but felt them working my pecs a bit too, bonus!

3 Likes

1/16/18

Anchor/W1/Squat day 1

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Pullaparts

Squat:
45x10
135x5
155x5
175x5
200x9
155x5x5

Pullups:
5x8

EZ curl:
35x2x15

KB side-to-side press:
35x4x12

Lateral raise:
10x2x15

Ab wheel:
5x10

BW lunges:
2x15

All up in 40-45 minutes. Cooked. I wanted to get into double digits on that PR set but it seems that working in a super/giant set fashion has affected my squat more then the other 3 lifts. I’m okay with that.

3 Likes

1/18/18

Anchor/W1/Bench day 1

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Pullaparts

Bench:
45x10
95x5
120x5
140x5
160x9
120x5x5

T-row:
75x5x10

Rear delt raise:
10x20,15,10

Band tri pushdown:
"35"x4x20

Landmine twist:
25x5x10

Various ab stuff:
Knee lifts (no good), v-up, bicycle crunch, hollow hold

Decent workout now that I’m looking at it but wasn’t feelin’ it at all today. Kinda tired, kinda hungry, but hey got some good work in which is what matters.

Wrist is hurting me today for some reason, not a ton of pain but plenty of discomfort. Not sure what it’s from, may have slept on it funky (I swear I hurt myself sleeping more than any other time). Hope it clears up a bit by tomorrow.

So determined any kind of knee lift, toes to bar, etc. is a no go at my home set up. Just don’t have the right dimensions to make it work. Made up for it with that ab dropset though, ouch.

1 Like

I can relate! I’ll fall asleep on my side and crush my shoulder. I wake up and my arm is completely numb and won’t move. I blame it for loosening up my shoulder over the years too. I had surgery in 2004 to tighten it up but it’s slowly getting loose again.

1 Like

Sleep on your back ( easiest way to protect your body). I’ve slept on my stomach all my life and it gave me bad Anterior pelvic tilt.

Reminds me of a funny story, I’ll spare some details and leave the abridged version here. I hiked Mt. Washington with a group of friends several years ago and we planned to camp just below the summit at a shelter. This was way before I got really into outdoors stuff and we were all a bit under prepared for what we were about to encounter. Despite it being a nice summery day during the hike, the temperature dropped to 20* or so at night while we were trying to sleep. I fell asleep on my arm, between the ground and me, and woke up to it completely numb. I fully thought it froze and I lost my arm lol. I’ve never been so happy to have horrible pins and needles in my life.

The next year the same crew was asking about doing it again. I was like FUCK THAT, knowing none of us invested in proper gear. It’s easy enough to do as a day-trip anyway so I don’t see the point.

2 Likes

I do! And my left side. And my right side. And my stomach. And any other position you can imagine.

I’m a pretty active sleeper haha.

3 Likes

I try. I used to snore horribly (apparently it’s stopped or my wife just sleeps harder) so I got in the habit of sleeping on my side. I prefer my left side but my wife gets upset when I breathe on her LOL. So now it’s the right side and I’ve adapted to it. I have mild sleep apnea when I sleep on my back but no problems on my side or stomach (according to the sleep study). I tried the CPAP and hated it. Now when I sleep on my back I tend to dream a lot and I don’t feel like I’m getting good sleep. Some of my dreams are pretty active and I wake up feeling stressed/tired from the freaking dream. That doesn’t happen on my side.

I’m considering investing in the type of bed that you can adjust like a hospital bed next time we buy a mattress. Perhaps if I prop myself up a bit I’ll be less likely to roll over and smash myself.

It’s really bad when I start out on my side with my bottom arm straight out in front of me and hanging off the bed and then I roll on to my stomach without moving my arm. That really hurts when I finally wake up. I also have the incredible ability to put both of my arms under the pillow while sleeping on my stomach. Both shoulders are a bit loose and will sublux enough to cut off the blood supply. I’ll wake up with BOTH arms completely asleep. That’s fun.

Yep, me too. Unfortunately I think active also means restless.

1 Like

Yep, I think there’s probably some subconscious stress I’m dealing with during sleep at night, but it’s not big enough to affect my daily living in the waking world.

Yeah I can’t remember the last time I slept through the whole night lol, but I think it’s worse for my wife than I since another person tossing around the covers, getting up, & being noisy is just plain annoying.

1 Like

It’s not uncommon for my wife and I to sleep separately. She has various reasons for sleeping on the couch. I always think it’s me but she says it’s because she was coughing and didn’t want to wake me; she couldn’t breathe and wanted to prop herself up (asthma); she wanted to elevate her legs (marathon training).

All I know is that I wake up alone… or with my four year old daughter sleeping in her place. The sad thing is that when I know she’s left the bed, I tend to sleep good from that point forward.

Occasionally I might have a spasm and I’m afraid of hitting her so I’m probably not fully relaxed when I go to bed. But once she’s gone I don’t to worry so I spread out and crash…on my back!

1 Like

Great log man, love the climbing and the lifting.

New England’s mountains can definitely take you by surprise, even in the summer. I’ve seen snow fall from the sky during the day in July at just over 3,000 feet on Tumbledown Mountain. I’ve camped above 4,000 feet a few times too and I always prepare for below freezing temps with a 3 season tent, my 40 degree bag and some extra socks, hats and gloves and at least a half liter of whiskey between two of us.

From what others have told me, the point of camping on Mt. Washington seems to be suffering and bragging rights.

1 Like

It remember me my first winter camping. I was so frozen that I put my winter boot in my sleep because it was like minus 30 lol! I was genuinely worried about my toe being frozen lol!

The outdoor things can become really costly (same as training!) when you start to equip yourself. But you had to do it if you want to survive…

For the sleeping things I just can’t fall asleep on my back. Don’t know why but I read everywhere that is the “best” sleeping position.

1 Like

I’m so grateful that my gf either A. doesn’t mind, or B. doesn’t notice. She seems to sleep through the night no matter what haha.

My girl leaves around 4:30 to start her day so I get a few hours of bed to myself. It’s when I get the best sleep unfortunately haha

Masochism at its finest, I don’t even care to brag about it haha. Luckily I’ve been able to avoid any near freezing experiences that I wasn’t prepared for since then.

Any outdoor equipment store is a dangerous place for me to be. My bank account starts shrinking the second I step foot in the store :joy:

1/19/18

Anchor/W1/Dead day 1

Warmup:

Underhand toss
Straight arm pulldowns

Dead:
45x10
135x5
185x5
210x5
240x5
270x12 (straps)
210x5x5

Chinups:
4x10

Chain handle curls:
15x4x10

2-step pushups:
5x10

Kneeling French press:
35x4x10

Kneeling band crunch:
"65"x4x20

Was ready to call it after that AMRAP set. I could’ve pulled 2-3 more reps strength wise but I felt good calling it where I did, head was feeling plenty light and the eccentrics were bordering on uncontrolled.

Went pretty easy on the rest of the assistance cause I was pooped.

6 Likes

What causes sleep apnea when your on your back?

That bed sounds great btw.

Damn yall adults sound like you have shit sleep. Il just enjoy my naps and ability to sleep for 10 hours straight if i desire. Lol :wink:

Haha enjoy it while you can!

1 Like

I have no idea. I think it’s just gravity. Sleep apnea is typically caused by the muscles of the throat relaxing and collapsing. You snore a bit and don’t get enough oxygen so you wake up. You don’t really notice it but it affects your sleep quality. I did a sleep test and they said I had mild sleep apnea on my back but didn’t show anything when I rolled over.

1 Like

1/22/18

Anchor/W2/Press day 2

Warmup:

Jumps/throws
Pullaparts

Press:
45x10
65x5
70x3
80x3
90x8
70x5x5

Inverted row: (front bolts, 35 links)
5x10

Reverse crunch:
5x10

Barbell pushup:
15 close grip
15 press grip
15 wide grip

DB row:
50x10
50x15

Fallout: (side bolts, 35 links)
2x10

Was hoping for a couple more on my top set but all good. Did the DB rows standing braced against the rack instead of kneeling on the bench, I like this setup more, especially with adjustable DB’s that are a mile long. Bashed it off my knee last week.

Note about the fallouts, tried them going out to a bit more of a Y shape today. Feels pretty good on the shoulders but introduces quite a bit of pec involvement. Not necessarily a bad thing. Going more straight out has a worse shoulder feel but I think hits the mid section a bit harder.

5 Likes