T Nation

Velocity Diet With Whey?

I’m on a serious budget! Looking to start the V diet, but don’t have a lot of cash and am in the UK, the best priced protein powder I can find is Dymatize Elite Whey… can anyone recommend this? A lot of reviews say it tastes good but a couple said it has a chemical aftertaste so was wondering what experiences you’ve had with it. Wanna know whether this is the right one to go for before I buy in bulk! Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Dymatise’s whey tastes good, but whey alone will not work, unless you take it every hour or so, due to the quick absorption.

You could try mixing 2 scoops in milk, and use about 6 shakes.

Milk will not work. Neither will whey alone.

The V-diet keeps insulin levels low, and protein in the stomach constantly releasing aminos into the bloodstream.

The V-diet uses Metabolic Drive because its got micellar casein in it.

[quote]gymbunnie wrote:
I’m on a serious budget! Looking to start the V diet, but don’t have a lot of cash and am in the UK, the best priced protein powder I can find is Dymatize Elite Whey… can anyone recommend this? A lot of reviews say it tastes good but a couple said it has a chemical aftertaste so was wondering what experiences you’ve had with it. Wanna know whether this is the right one to go for before I buy in bulk! Thanks guys :)[/quote]

If you have to use whey please do not add in milk. Milk causes too much of an insulin spike, which is the exact opposite of what you want on the V-Diet. I do suggest you pick up some Metabolic Drive if you can, to use occasionally. Or even half and half. I know it’s whey more expensive (pardon the pun) over there, but it really is crucial for success.

One other guy I had a PM discussion with once said he was doing the V-Diet with whey alone and said he found a way to make it work. He split his protein up into 8-9 shakes (not sure the exact breakdown) and had one every 1.5 to 2 hours.

He didn’t mind the hassle and said it kept him satiated similar to longer bouts using Metabolic Drive. Just a thought. Never did here how it ended up for him, but when we talked he was about half way through and he indicated he was doing very well. I think at that point he had lost 14 lbs.

Good luck!

I agree the only real way IMO to do it and be a success would be even double the amount of shakes half the serving size to keep a constant flow of AA’s in the blood gut etc

Phill

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
gymbunnie wrote:
I’m on a serious budget! Looking to start the V diet, but don’t have a lot of cash and am in the UK, the best priced protein powder I can find is Dymatize Elite Whey… can anyone recommend this? A lot of reviews say it tastes good but a couple said it has a chemical aftertaste so was wondering what experiences you’ve had with it. Wanna know whether this is the right one to go for before I buy in bulk! Thanks guys :slight_smile:

If you have to use whey please do not add in milk. Milk causes too much of an insulin spike, which is the exact opposite of what you want on the V-Diet. I do suggest you pick up some Metabolic Drive if you can, to use occasionally. Or even half and half. I know it’s whey more expensive (pardon the pun) over there, but it really is crucial for success.

One other guy I had a PM discussion with once said he was doing the V-Diet with whey alone and said he found a way to make it work. He split his protein up into 8-9 shakes (not sure the exact breakdown) and had one every 1.5 to 2 hours.

He didn’t mind the hassle and said it kept him satiated similar to longer bouts using Metabolic Drive. Just a thought. Never did here how it ended up for him, but when we talked he was about half way through and he indicated he was doing very well. I think at that point he had lost 14 lbs.

Good luck![/quote]

There is a journal article with the whole amino acid thing, if you want to get technical. I remember posting it before in another thread.

The whole finding was the time was maybe 2 1/2 to 4 hours for whey vs. casein.

Hunger wise, you may or may not be fine, it’s an individual thing, but seriously, you’re talking about a diet, you’re going to be hungry.