T Nation

Velocity Diet While Breast Feeding?

My wife and I had a baby four weeks ago and she is wanting to get back into “fighting shape”. Are there any ladies out there who have tried the Velocity diet while breast feeding their baby, and if so how did it work out? Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I would think that the added nutrients of a not-so-restricted diet would be better.

The V-Diet is only 28 days for a good reason. You don’t really get the phytonutrients that are in fruits and veggies, save for one meal a week.

I wouldn’t risk not having vital nutrients in the milk that’s going into an infant.

Sounds pretty selfish. :slight_smile:

Don’t do it.

I would think that a new mom would be cranky enough without the added weight of an all-liquid calorie-restricted diet.

Plus (and I’m totally speaking from out my ass here), wouldn’t you need some fat in your diet to make milk?

The V-diet is not recommended for breastfeeding.

As others have said, focus on proper nutrition to ensure the long term health of the baby. A lot of important things are happening during breast feeding…

Honestly your wife will lose almost as much weight just breastfeeding as she would on the V-Diet, as long as she doesn’t eat as much as she did when she was pregnant. It’s natures best diet.

Sounds like a very bad idea.

Just have her keep good health habits like Berardi’s 10 habits and the weight will easily go down while getting the right nutrients to help your child.

This has got to rank up there as the Stoopidest Post evah.

Please read a book or something before you kill your baby with your ignorance.

It’s been said above but can I just say - as a Nutritional consultant…

NO. NO. NO.

There’s plenty of info out there and you should have been provided plenty anyway but if it helps I just this morning wrote this to a client

'…but these recommendations obviously fall within the fact that you have to be getting the guideline minimum of 1800 kCals/day from a balanced diet including fruit and whole grains etc.

I don’t know where you heard that breast feeding can cause you to keep weight on, usually it assists in the weight loss not only through calorie expenditure but also by hormonal mediated effects, though sometimes the weight loss actually happens at the cessation of breastfeeding. Post partum weight normalisation takes a bit of time and everyone is different …’

Drew Price

[quote]futuredave wrote:

Please read a book or something before you kill your baby with your ignorance.[/quote]

Ease up, “Stoopid”! Completely unnecassary post on your part. So where do I rank anyway?

[quote]Kingsley wrote:
futuredave wrote:

Ease up, “Stoopid”! Completely unnecassary post on your part. So where do I rank anyway?[/quote]

Don’t worry some people like to over-react to things. It wasn’t a stupid post, it was a valid question. I just hope you heed our advice.

This thread is useless without pics :slight_smile:

[quote]Kingsley wrote:
futuredave wrote:

Ease up, “Stoopid”! Completely unnecassary post on your part. So where do I rank anyway?[/quote]

Dood, seriously. And you’re a personal trainer? Crikey.

[quote]futuredave wrote:
Kingsley wrote:
futuredave wrote:

Ease up, “Stoopid”! Completely unnecassary post on your part. So where do I rank anyway?

Dood, seriously. And you’re a personal trainer? Crikey.[/quote]

Man, you’re rude! I don’t think you would ever talk to me like this if you weren’t hiding behind your PC. I knew this probably wouldn’t be a viable option for my wife while she was breastfeeding, but I was looking for something that might have given her a jump start.

This is our second child and she has not rebounded as quickly as the first. So… I was looking for some “constructive” feedback from my respected friends here on T-Nation, instead I got your smart ass!

I’ve been reading T-Nation for 6 years and just recently made my first post. So from here on I’ll be sure and not to make any “Stoopid” Posts.

By the way, I’ve been Personal Training for 10 years and I’m damn good at what I do.

[quote]Kingsley wrote:
futuredave wrote:
Kingsley wrote:
futuredave wrote:

Dood, seriously. And you’re a personal trainer? Crikey.

Man, you’re rude! I don’t think you would ever talk to me like this if you weren’t hiding behind your PC. I knew this probably wouldn’t be a viable option for my wife while she was breastfeeding, but I was looking for something that might have given her a jump start.

This is our second child and she has not rebounded as quickly as the first. So… I was looking for some “constructive” feedback from my respected friends here on T-Nation, instead I got your smart ass!

I’ve been reading T-Nation for 6 years and just recently made my first post. So from here on I’ll be sure and not to make any “Stoopid” Posts.

By the way, I’ve been Personal Training for 10 years and I’m damn good at what I do. [/quote]

Ease up Kinglsey. If you’ve been reading this site for 6 years, you should know by now that any post, valid or not, is going to get at least 50% stupid and rude comments. Comes with the territory.

As with any internet forum- it’s not actually expected for you to defend yourself, nor do you ever really need to.

Back to your wife. While the V-Diet is very drastic- there are many other options for her while breastfeeding if she is looking to get in better shape. From what I know about breastmilk- it is mainly made up of fats and proteins. The carb intake of the mother is not entirely necessary.

SO she could go on a lower carb- high fat high protein diet (i.e. Get Shredded like- but maybe not so low in carbs) and do just fine. She may not have much energy, which you need with two kids, but she could get a kickstart on her diet.

The diet she chooses will have to depend on how long she intends to breastfeed. If she’s going to do it for just a few months, then have her just eat clean, but enough food until she is done then diet. If she wants to breastfeed until the kid goes to college, then the lower carb approach may help her lose the weight.

All in all I hope that she is the one who initiated this “weight loss” quest, otherwise you have some long nights of marriage counseling ahead of you… :slight_smile:

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
All in all I hope that she is the one who initiated this “weight loss” quest, otherwise you have some long nights of marriage counseling ahead of you… :)[/quote]

LOL!!! I was just thinking this very thing :smiley:
Seriously friend, I think you knew from the get go what generally to do here. It’s a bit late now, but how well she took care of herself during the pregnancy will have a lot to do with how well and quickly she can get back into shape.

–Tiribulus

[quote]Tiribulus wrote:
eengrms76 wrote:
All in all I hope that she is the one who initiated this “weight loss” quest, otherwise you have some long nights of marriage counseling ahead of you… :slight_smile:

LOL!!! I was just thinking this very thing :smiley:
Seriously friend, I think you knew from the get go what generally to do here. It’s a bit late now, but how well she took care of herself during the pregnancy will have a lot to do with how well and quickly she can get back into shape.

–Tiribulus

[/quote]

She took good care of herself during pregnancy. Just anxious I guess! And she wants to return to leanness just as much as I want her to. Two kids = craziness! This really begins to test our meal planning and discipline. Thanks for all of the feedback