Velocity Diet Support

As you work up, think of it as an average. So you jog the straights, run downhill and walk uphill. That will average you to your 15-minute miles.

Over time, you learn to change your gait so 15s are pretty unstressful. Most people stroll with their pelvis way out front and their head and shoulders leaning way back; this is not the way of the forced march.

Ok, so you are actually jogging? I thought it was a fast walk.

You will be eventually, but it sounds like youā€™re not yet able. Iā€™m just going off my experience, but folks got the ability to walk 15 minutes by just ensuring every mile took 15 minutes - however they had to get there. Over time, their gait improved and they could just walk it.

I guess to caveat, I just now paid attention to the sub forum Iā€™m in. I donā€™t know the context of the 15 minute miles (maybe just walking comfortably brisk is the goal). Iā€™m just talking how to quickly build the ability to walk 15 minute miles.

ah ok, that makes sense.

1 Like

A 15-minute walked mile is on the faster end of the spectrum. Itā€™s just below the speed where youā€™d feel the need to jog if using a treadmill.

So if most people walk between 2.5 and 4 MPH, thatā€™s a 15 to 22 minute mile. Usually men are faster than women, then thereā€™s stride length, etc. Even personality plays a roll it seems, with Type Aā€™s ā€“ high achievement traits, competitiveness, impatience ā€“ walking faster than Type Bā€™s.

But all that aside, donā€™t sweat the small stuff. The idea is walk at a rate faster than a casual stroll, but thereā€™s no need to go nuts and start using a smart watch. Itā€™s not like your body says, ā€œWait, thatā€™s just 3.6 MPH. No fat loss for you!ā€

And yes, even a slight hill/incline can make a big difference, burn more calories, and tax the cardiovascular system more. Naturally, a hill will slow you down a bit too, but that incline has its own little benefits.

3 Likes

Is the level 1 v-diet the same as velocity diet 4.0?

Level 1 refers to this section of the plan:

1 Like

Just ordered the kitā€¦looking forward to trying itā€¦disclipline will be my biggest challenge when it comes to the diet

2 Likes

I think youā€™ll be surprised. The #1 complaint weā€™ve had about the V-Diet is (wait for it) ā€“ ā€œI feel too full.ā€ Not a bad problem to have on a diet.

However, thereā€™s mechanical hunger (empty stomach) and then thereā€™s habits and triggers. For example, I can be what I call a ā€œprocrastination eater.ā€ I need to do a task Iā€™m not looking forward to doing so I think, ā€œIā€™ll do it, but first, a snack!ā€ I have to stop myself and say, ā€œAre you really hungry?ā€ Usually not.

Others may struggle with snacking in the front of the TV (hungry or not) or always stopping for that 300-calorie Starbucks drink in the morning. Itā€™s a ritual, not a need for calories.

Triggers often have to do with time. Example: You eat at 11AM and are satisfied. Later you notice itā€™s noon and think, ā€œLunch!ā€ then realize youā€™re full.

Anyway, keep things like that, along with emotional eating, boredom eating, etc. in mind.

3 Likes

Here is my plan

wake up at 3am, leave home at 4am and drink surge on my way to the gym at 5am, fullbody workout darden workout for 20 to 25 minutes, leave gym and drink shake on way to work by 6amā€¦this will be m/w/f

830 am drink shake

11 to 1130 amā€¦healthy meal at the work cafeteria (we actually have healthy meals for 6 bucks at work)

2pm drink shake when i leave work

3pm walk for 30 to 60 minutesā€¦about 3 miles

5pm drink shake

6pm read

630 pm sleep

Chris are people moving to eliminating the shakes once they are done with the velocity diet for 28 days? Or how are they transitioning off the velocity diet?

that makes a lot more sense. My Apple Watch tells me how fast Iā€™m going and if Iā€™m really hustling during a walk, I can get below a 20-minute mile, maybe a 19-minute mile. To hit a 15-minute mile walk I actually need to jog, which then becomes another workout.

Thereā€™s no need to ā€œtransitionā€ as we had V-Dieters do with the older versions of the plan. Back then, there was no solid meal or supportive supps like Superfood and Flameout. All of those round out the diet, fill in any nutritional gaps, and make it doable for as long as a person wants to do it. (The very early versions of the plan contained nutritional gaps and fewer calories, which was fine since it was just a 4-week jump-start plan.)

Generally, with any diet, youā€™d want to bump up to more of a maintenance level of calories, keeping protein as high as a gram per pound of bodyweight for most people. Since the V-Diet ensures thereā€™s no muscle loss, there shouldnā€™t be any fat gain caused my metabolism issues, unless of course a person goes nuts on junk food and stops training.

What I would do is keep at least one protein pulse per day, and keep the Micellar Curcumin since it limits the amount of fat you regain after you finish a calorie-restriction diet (along with killing baby fat cells and other benefits that keep you lean). Make all other meals like the solid meals during the V-Diet: clean with plenty of protein. I would avoid wheat, but donā€™t fret about other carbs like rice, potatoes, and oats. I know the wheat thing is debatable, but since Iā€™ve never once seen it NOT work, Iā€™m stickinā€™ with the suggestion.

You could also add some Eternal Warrior style metcon work or whatever type of harder conditioning you enjoy.

I donā€™t completely trust the smart watches honestly. I know how ā€œoffā€ they can be with things like calories burned. Iā€™m sure the Apple watch is pretty good with speed and distance, but I wouldnā€™t totally trust it. Still, a handy tool that can be motivating for many. Just donā€™t get too obsessed with the numbers.

1 Like

Interesting information. Iā€™ve been a long time follower of Stan Efferdingā€™s vertical diet. Lots of lean beef rice and oranges among other micronutrient rich foods.

Some day Iā€™ll give the V Diet a go. I have always struggled on fat loss diets because I tend to make them someone extreme and I mentally donā€™t do well cutting calories by a lot.

Thanks for the reply Chris!

1 Like

You certainly could do this, yes. I would find some exercises that you like a LOT. For most:
Vertical Press
Vertical Pull
Deadlift variation
Ab wheel or Hanging bent knee leg raise
Something you like.

Keep the reps at just like two sets of five. Focus on sticking to the V Diet. Andā€¦walk. Walk.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s a good perspective but Iā€™m a nerd and love numbers and consequently, obsessing about them too. :grinning:

1 Like

is it ok to use skim milk for the metabolic drive shakes?

how about butter on the potato/yam/rice?

Skip the milk. Itā€™s not needed for flavor or texture since Metabolic Drive is perfect as is, and it adds calories and junk carbs. Also, this is my highly biased opinion, milk is overall not that great for you. Iā€™ve never seen a person NOT lose fat and feel better when they drop the milk. Iā€™m not anti-dairy or anything, but milk itself is overrated (and itā€™s a terrible protein source when you run the actual numbers). I know, I know, ā€œsquats and milk!ā€ Thatā€™s what the bloated coaches say at leastā€¦ but Iā€™m not a fan.

Adding a bit of butter or preferable ghee is fine for the solid meal if you keep the calories in check.

1 Like

Awesome, thanksā€¦delivery expected on monday

1 Like