Velocity Diet Support

Have questions or need help with the Velocity Diet? Post below and one of our Elite Coaches will be happy to assist you.

5 Likes

I like the idea of replacing one of the Metabolic Drive shakes with Surge Workout Fuel. How would you recommend fitting creatine into the mix? And would you recommend the use of Hot-Rox during this program? I have found in the past that Hot-Rox helped to control my appetite and provided me with a bit of an energy boost when in a sustained calorie deficit.

If you’re already using creatine, its fine to add to the V-Diet. If you’re not currently using it, just keep in mind that adding it could initially throw off scale-weight numbers a bit as more fluid is pulled into the muscles. I’d stick with 3-5 grams daily and avoid loading. Just add it to any protein pulse or Surge.

Also, there’s some evidence that taking creatine after training, not before, may have some advantages, but honestly it’s hard to mess up creatine usage as long as you’re consistent. Here’s some info about post-workout creatine:

(Tip: The Very Best Time to Take Creatine)

Hot-Rox is also a fine addition if you’ve found it helpful in the past. Not mandatory of course, but an acceptable option.

1 Like

Sorry I haven’t read the specifics of the diet, but any chance for a quick recap? I know (or at least think) it involves replacing meals with protein shakes. Is there more to it than that? Would someone not looking to lose weight benefit?

Thanks! That answers everything and I should have just taken the time to find it myself.

2 Likes

The older version of the Velocity Diet had a specific workout plan. Does this version have a plan as well? If so, where can I find it?

The original plan had a few guidelines and later Chad Waterbury provided a training plan.

However, we’ve seen success after success with people using a variety of training plans, with the only caveats being that they lifted weights and didn’t cardio themselves to death.

And that’s what all the research tells us too: for optimal, sustainable fat loss, resistance train when dieting.

We may offer a some plan choices in the future from Thibaudeau and Dr. Darden. For now, I like full-body training 3 days a week with a focus on rep quality. I’ll add some more info here later.

2 Likes

My first day on the Velocity Diet was yesterday and never really felt super hungry all day.

My problem is I wake up in the middle of the night and eat. I did this even before the diet but now I need to really watch those calories. Funny thing is that my night time cravings have always been Metabolic Drive mixed with olive oil as a pudding. Any tricks or tips to help on this?

2 Likes

Locks on the pantry.

Keep food in inconvenient locations

1 Like

Well, I doubt this is an issue, but there is something call NES or Night Eating Syndrome. It’s actually classified as an eating disorder. Usually related to insomnia, depression, anxiety etc. but mainly seen in the obese. And Metabolic Drive pudding in the middle of the night isn’t too crazy.

If you can’t kick the habit or improve sleep habits, you could always just remove one scoop of protein from a daytime shake and “save” it for the night, minus the olive oil.

Something TC wrote a while back always stuck with me: the idea first and second sleep. It’s actually natural to wake up in the middle of the night. Key is to see it as natural, don’t panic, and don’t try to fix it — what some people do by eating. Just read and relax.

I believe it’s a healthy thing to wake up and be ready to eat, but maybe not at 2AM! This is probably just a habit you can kick after a few nights.

1 Like

I did a sleep study and it was NES that he said I had. I did read TC’s article and that made me feel better about it and I’ll try the reduced Metabolic Drive serving during the day. Thanks!

1 Like

If you are as lean as your avatar I’ll be interested to see how the velocity diet works for you!

I was just reading Dan John talk about the Easy Strength program and how it (or the 40-Day Program version) would work well with the Velocity Diet. The 40-Day Program

2 Likes

Couple of questions if i decide to try this,

1. Can i switch the healthy solid meal to lunchtime in lieu of dinner time?

2. What happens after 28 days and i have met my goal of fat loss, to prevent from regaining?

Thx in advance

1. If that better fits your schedule or preferences, it shouldn’t be a problem.

2. Most fat regain from traditional diets is caused by several factors, including muscle loss and calories being too low for too long. The V-Diet was specifically designed to preserve muscle mass through a variety of mechanisms like high protein intake using special proteins and the use of curcumin.

From Teich, et al.: “Curcumin has a protective effect against weight regain and impaired metabolic control following a successful period of weight loss through diet and exercise, perhaps via inhibition of glucocorticoid action and inflammation."

And that was using standard curcumin, not miscellar, which should ramp up the benefits given its maxed-out bioavailability.

Lastly, the “side effect” of the V-Diet is positive food preference changes. In short, whatever foods caused excess fat gain to begin with won’t be as appealing, while healthier choices get tastier. Besides just triggering/forcing a habit change, this probably has something to do with the natural loss and regeneration of taste bud cells. More info here: Inflammation: A Secret Cause of Overeating? - Diet and Nutrition - COMMUNITY - T NATION

Combine all of these things (plus resistance training during the diet) and fat regain is much less likely to occur compared to normal diet plans.

All that said, of course it’s possible to regain fat if someone starts eating like an unsupervised toddler again. :wink:

1 Like

That was going to be my next question, my calories have been too low for too long 1300 to 1800…i lost 20lbs a year ago and have stalled ever since

afraid to eat more calories as i dont want to gain it back

58 years young
205 lbs…was 225
probably 20 to 25% bodyfat

perform 30-10-30 twice a week with a normal not failure HIT in between on wednesday

Oh yeah, we’ve all been there. When I went from 260-something to 159 pounds back in the day, I had a very hard time coming out of it. But I was a 20-year-old idiot, T Nation wasn’t around yet, and I had lost the weight with running and near-starvation. Obviously a terrible plan, but I wasn’t fat anymore so I was satisfied briefly. Took me a long time to wise up, stop over-cardio’ing, start lifting again, and start packing in protein to fix the damage.

Most experienced lifters don’t have to worry too much about fat regain… if they keep themselves in check and don’t go nuts after a dieting phase. They love lifting and know what they’re doing, so that’s not a problem. And most don’t enjoy cardio, so they’re probably not going to overdo it. So it all comes down to diet.

You may consider a stepped approach or calorie cycling. With a stepped approach, you’d add 200-300 calories for a week and see what happens. Probably nothing in terms of fat regain. It’s psychologically reassuring. Just don’t get overly concerned about scale weight since water weight, glycogen etc. can throw that off and make it seem like you’re gaining fat when you aren’t. (That’s why I like the three belly-area measurements more than the scale: hard to fool those.)

With one form of calorie cycling, you’d basically go from a sensible “cut” to a maintenance phase, then back down to the cut. Notice we skip the “bulk” here. Lose, maintain, lose, maintain. These phases can be several weeks each, or even like this plan, where you diet hard for 5 days and refeed (cleanly) on the weekend: The Non-Linear Diet for Lifters - Diet and Nutrition - COMMUNITY - T NATION

To keep it simple, avoiding regain is mainly about keeping protein intake high and avoiding the obvious junk foods. For you, I’d keep protein at above 180 grams, no matter the goal. (You’d get 168 of those plus the solid meal’s protein on the standard Level 1 V-Diet.)

So, depending on where you’re at now, you may want to bump up calories and maintain for a bit, THEN hit the V-Diet.

Lots of options.

1 Like

Thank you Sir

1 Like

I’ve timed myself walking and 15 minute mile seems really fast to me. Is there a trick to getting up to this speed? I do live in a hilly neighborhood.