Velocity Diet Question

I’ve been on the V-diet for a week now and I did my weekly weigh-in this morning and got some unnerving numbers.

My weight has gone down around 6 lbs, but my bioelectrical impedance analysis device claims that my bf% has risen by 1.8… Assuming I did the math correctly, that would mean I have lost over 9 lbs of lean body mass and gained about 3.5 lbs of fat… Is that even possible? My bf% device isn’t fool-proof, but it has shown pretty accurately gains and losses in fat before.

My weight is a bit under 300 lbs at the moment and my bf% is 32-34% (34% if that last measurement was accurate).

Daily intake:
2100-2200 kcals
360 g of protein
52 g of fat
24 g of carbs (40 g on training days)

I try to walk an hour every morning (I did skip a few mornings due to a blizzard) and workout 3 times a week.

Am I doing something wrong or is my bf% device just messing with me?

• POC

What is your height? The reason I ask is that if you are really tall it’s possible that you need more calories and will still lose fat. The other possibility is that you are overtraining. IMO it is harder for more adipose people to know when they are hitting the overtraining mark because their body begins burning fat quickly and they feel, temporarily, more endurance than a skinnier fella.

The diet, as wacky as it is, actually does seem to work in my experience. Post your height and workout routine and I’m sure some of the good folks here can help you tweak things.

Those devices don’t work. Congrats on youtr progress.

[quote]HoratioSandoval wrote:
Those devices don’t work. Congrats on youtr progress.[/quote]

I have also heard that they are worthless. Something about water in the body.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Post your height and workout routine and I’m sure some of the good folks here can help you tweak things.
[/quote]

My height is around 6’3".

I use to train hard almost everyday. So 3 times a week is actually less than what I’m use to. At the moment I’m just doing the big three (squat, dead, bench) and some supplemental work. I don’t have a specific routine, I just go with how I feel and go easy if I’m feeling sore.

• POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
beebuddy wrote:
Post your height and workout routine and I’m sure some of the good folks here can help you tweak things.

My height is around 6’3".

I use to train hard almost everyday. So 3 times a week is actually less than what I’m use to. At the moment I’m just doing the big three (squat, dead, bench) and some supplemental work. I don’t have a specific routine, I just go with how I feel and go easy if I’m feeling sore.

• POC[/quote]

Well, Horatio is probably right then. Just make sure you don’t get those annoying little muscle twitches. Train lighter if you do.

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Well, Horatio is probably right then.[/quote]

I certainly hope so… I’d hate to lose 20 pounds to only end being fatter than ever…

• POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
Am I doing something wrong or is my bf% device just messing with me?

• POC
    [/quote]

IMO, your biometric device is misleading. At your weight and BF, I wouldn’t even try to watch percent BF for at least a month. Instead, watch the scale weekly and pay close attention to your strength during workouts. As long as you aren’t losing strength, but are losing weight, you should be happy for the month.

You may have alost a lot of water. Which happens in the V diet. The Bioimpedence takes into account your water balance and can be thrown off by changing hydration levels. That is something to keep in mind. Besides, as said earlier, they are just not that accurate in the first place.

My Tanita scale, which uses BEI, fluctuates wildly based on water.

A typical range is 38% in the morning, after my morning ‘business’, and 30% at night when I’m fully hydrated.

For reference, my actually bodyweight only increases two pounds or so by the evening.

I pretty well ignore the bodyfat percentage numbers for anything other than amusement.

I don’t know if the tanita is every really accurate, but it’s definitely only reliable when a person is smaller and leaner.

Any diet that causes you to lose fluid (nearly all of them, but especially if you’re dropping carbs) is going to throw that even further out of whack, as well.

If your waist measurement is decreasing and your strength isn’t, you’ve probably got nothing to worry about/

those scales dont work, I can step on mine right before a shower it says 21% BF even though that is way to high
than I step on it again after a shower it will say 17% bf

i dont even pay attention to it

WHen you’re on a low-carb diet, your body will be storing less glycogen. Glycogen stores water along with it. Hence, your hydration levels, as measured by BIA, will be lower.

Since you’ll have less body water, the signal will go through your body slower. The BIA device will read that as an increased in bf%, since the velocity of the current is how the machine determines you’re bf%.

So don’t sweat it.

I find the Bioimpedence scales to be harder on the “big guys” for whatever reason. It seems as though the heavier you are, regardless of height, the fat % seems to be really high consistently.

When dieting, especially the V-diet, the water weight loss will throw off the scale for sure. One thing to take into account though is that the water loss is going to be partially muscle loss due to the loss of Glycogen stores.

I think it makes more sense when you’re over 300 to start out with high number daily and simply add one more shake per workout days or even add a small evening meal. This seems to help with keeping strength and your sanity, and you still loose the fat, but the scale weight won’t drop as quick.