Velocity Diet Journal 11/5 - 12/3

had my solid meal yesterday. grilled chicken(ton of it), salad, tortilla strips with mexi-ranch dressing. very tasty!

Went to the Razorback vs. Tennessee football game yesterday and hit a tailgate party. Talk about temptation city. Brats, Hotdogs, BBQ pork, cookie, brownies, chips, beans, slaw… OH MY!!!

But… I stayed strong or at least I think I did. I ate probably 3 hotdogs,1 brat, 2 helpings of shredded pork. Left the bread off of everything. Yep, just meat and some mustard with a tad of BBQ sauce. Not too much because of the sugar content but I didn’t feel like I’d done too bad with that.

Had a couple diet sodas throuhout the night but I figure I did pretty good.

Would anyone disagree?

next time try to get some greens in ya. your body needs them more than you thikn

Ok Havent updated in a few days, but still on the wagon.

Had my solid meal Thurs evening. It was a chicken salad with boiled egg. Tasted kind of strange. This week I am thinking steak and eggs. These shakes are really tasting sweet, which kind of sucks since I hate candy and sweets to begin with.

Lifted Saturday evening for Day 4 of BBB week 2. 3x8 of Hack squats, Leg Curls, Leg Raises, and Seated Calf Raises.

Week 1 Results Nov. 5 - Nov. 12

Weight: -8 lbs (From 272.5 to 264.5)

Measurement Changes:

Chest: -.5"
Waist: -.5"
Abdomen: -1.5"

Happy so far, on to week 2…

Just a short update to note that I have now lost 10 pounds. Took 9 days, but I weighed in at 262.5 this morning. Getting close to my first goal of 259.5. My second goal is 249.5 and my dream goal is 244.5 by the end of the diet which would be a 28 pound loss.

Ordered Precision Nutrition last night. Starting to work on a plan to reintroduce solid foods and build back up to maintenance.

Tuesday Nov.14

Got all my shakes in and went to the gym for Day 2/week 3 of Big Boy Basics.

This is 3x8 of squats, Hanging Leg Raises, DB Deadlifts, Decline Crunches, and Standing Calf Raises with 60 to 90 second rest intervals. Got a good workout even though I didn’t have my Surge with me. The one exercise that really seems to suffer while on this diet though is squats. I was doing 225, and my legs felt great. However by the last couple reps of the last set I was getting a bit lightheaded. Not going to go any heavier than 225 til the diet is over.

1/3 of the way done with the diet.

[quote]Abe Froman wrote:
Ok Havent updated in a few days, but still on the wagon.

Had my solid meal Thurs evening. It was a chicken salad with boiled egg. Tasted kind of strange. This week I am thinking steak and eggs. These shakes are really tasting sweet, which kind of sucks since I hate candy and sweets to begin with.

Lifted Saturday evening for Day 4 of BBB week 2. 3x8 of Hack squats, Leg Curls, Leg Raises, and Seated Calf Raises. [/quote]

I had same issue with the sweetness of the shakes. I started subbing 1/3 of the met drive for a scoop of soy protein isolate (SPI), natural flavor. cuts the sweetness. High quality SPI has no carbs, same protein and blunts the sweetness. Doesn’t provide as much long term satiety as the met drive but might work for you a couple times out of your day. Also, try flax meal if you aren’t already, it deadens the taste a bit.

Another tact is to drink carbonated icewater alongside your shake to provide a “sharp” taste.

good work and good luck

Good work!

[quote]Abe Froman wrote:
Tuesday Nov.14

Got all my shakes in and went to the gym for Day 2/week 3 of Big Boy Basics.

This is 3x8 of squats, Hanging Leg Raises, DB Deadlifts, Decline Crunches, and Standing Calf Raises with 60 to 90 second rest intervals. Got a good workout even though I didn’t have my Surge with me. The one exercise that really seems to suffer while on this diet though is squats. I was doing 225, and my legs felt great. However by the last couple reps of the last set I was getting a bit lightheaded. Not going to go any heavier than 225 til the diet is over.

1/3 of the way done with the diet.[/quote]

Rock on bro! You’re doing great. Have you or do you plan to post any progress pictures?

11 days down, so almost half way there. Today is solid memal day again.

Going to schedule my solid meal for tonight after lifting and some walking.

Planning on having steak with 3 eggs and some salad with a whole grain english muffin. Sopping up the egg yolk with some bread just sounds really tasty right now. Its pretty much the first craving I have had while on the diet.

Still feeling good. Didn’t walk yesterday as I had some soreness in my calf. When I tore my achilles the top half of the tendon pulled up into the ball of my calf and ever since I had occasionally had cramp like pains in my calf off and on. They have been getting gradually better, but I still am going to be cautious when I feel pain there.

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Rock on bro! You’re doing great. Have you or do you plan to post any progress pictures? [/quote]

Not really planned on it. Was thinking of posting some of the wheels but I lost a bit of size and definition from the surgery. When I get back to MMA training I will see if I can get some photos of me banging around with some of the other heavyweights.

[quote]Abe Froman wrote:
Planning on having steak with 3 eggs and some salad with a whole grain english muffin. Sopping up the egg yolk with some bread just sounds really tasty right now. Its pretty much the first craving I have had while on the diet.
[/quote]

Yum. That was good stuff!

12 Days down and I have hit a little bit of a plateau. Since hitting 262.5 on Tuesday, I have been: 263.5 on weds, 263.5 on thurs, and 264.5 this morning. My guess is just variations in hydration partly due to the increased carbs from workout days.

Both times the scale has gone up have been after hard lifting sessions the night before which included Surge and last nights solid meal. I also have taken the last couple days off of walking which I will restart this evening.

Last nights meal was a small dinner salad with FF ranch, 6 oz of steak, 3 eggs, and 1 whole wheat english muffin to sop up the yolk. I had it probably an hour after lifting. Next week will be the PWO thanksgiving meal.

Saturday 18 Nov- Day 14

2 weeks down, and still on the wagon. Went and lifted today doing day four of BBB week 3. I substituted Front Squats for the hack squats as I am trying to learn the Oly lifts and have Front squats in my next program as well. I also did power cleans to get the weight up on my shoulders for the first 5 sets on front squats.

Workout was 8x3 with 60s rest. Front squats, leg curls, leg raises, and seated calf raises. I then added in 3 sets of 5 overhead squats, and finished up with one set of 6 Bears. If you don’t know what Bears are check out this thread: http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459657

Quite possibly my new favorite exercise.

Everything seemed pretty good, main problem was my wrist was a bit sore in the front squat so I had to switch to bodybuilder style on the last set. I have read that this gets better with practice. Went for a 30 minute walk around Long Beach after the workout.

Its amazing how much heavier I was sweating after just cleaning up my weight vs racking it at shoulder height.

sounds great abe… i will be starting mine the day after turkey day… i figured to give it a go during the holidays with all the parties… hopefully my will power will be high

i turned down the fight since i tweaked my back again and have to lay off the mma training for a few more weeks…

Results after 2 weeks:

-9.0 lbs total
-.75" Neck
-.50" Chest
-1.25" Abdomen
-.25" Hip
-.25" Thighs and Calves

2 more weeks to go. Switched to HRX from Max Strength HOT-ROX yesterday and got a few raspberry burps. Workouts are still rough, and I just don’t feel as strong.

I have a few bottles of older Biotest supps that I am thinking about using up. Alpha Male, M, and Methoxy-7. Anyone have any thoughts on when would be the best time to start them? I am thinking Alpha Male and M at the end of the V-Diet and Methoxy-7 when I run out of HRX.

[quote]Abe Froman wrote:
Results after 2 weeks:

-9.0 lbs total
-.75" Neck
-.50" Chest
-1.25" Abdomen
-.25" Hip
-.25" Thighs and Calves

2 more weeks to go. Switched to HRX from Max Strength HOT-ROX yesterday and got a few raspberry burps. Workouts are still rough, and I just don’t feel as strong.

I have a few bottles of older Biotest supps that I am thinking about using up. Alpha Male, M, and Methoxy-7. Anyone have any thoughts on when would be the best time to start them? I am thinking Alpha Male and M at the end of the V-Diet and Methoxy-7 when I run out of HRX.[/quote]

I hear ya man on feeling weaker in the gym. I lifted yesterday and my bench has dropped dramatically. Kinda sad really. Oh well, sometimes you gotta give up to get.

Keep it up man. I’m starting my third week this week and feeling good about finishing strong.

Guess I was a bit behind on my sleep yesterday. Laid down to take a nap before lifting and wound up sleeping for 4 hours. By the time I woke up it was almost 11pm so I just had my last shake and went to bed. That makes tonight squat night.

After 17 days on the diet I am now down 12 lbs to 260.5. The weight loss had leveled off during the middle of week 2 but restarted a couple of days ago.

I would also like to note that I much prefer the HRX to the Max strength HOT-ROX. 2 pills beats 4 any day of the week and the slight raspberry taste masks the little bit of fishiness in Flameout.

Day 23

Still going. Thanksgiving was not a problem, I just made it a pwo meal. Went and lifted hard at the gym and had my surge then had dinner about 2 hours later. Big plate of turkey and ham, along with mashed potatos and stuffing and a glass of wine. Felt really full after one plate and actually got a headache so I went home and slept.

I’ll post sunday morning’s measurement results in a bit, but I actually lost weight thanksgiving week. Checked in at 259.5 yesterday and today. This makes it 13 lbs in 21 days.

Haven’t cheated yet beyone a few diet sodas. One more solid meal thursday and then finish this up on saturday.