T Nation

Velocity Diet Journal 11/5 - 12/3

Going to start the Velocity diet on Sunday and will use this thread as a log and motivator. My goal is to lose 20 pounds of mostly fat and transition to a diet based on Berardi’s precision nutrition without bouncing back up.

I have enough protein on hand to begin the diet and have ordered the remainder which should arrive Tuesday. Total cost for everything was a little less than $100 more than I normally spend on groceries for the month. If I decide to do it again in the future, I may break it up into a few smaller orders so that I am laying out less cash upfront.

Shopping list:

Low Carb Metabolic Drive
HOT-ROX Extreme
Surge
Flameout
Multi Vitamin
Milled Flax Seed

Weight Training:

Currently doing Waterbury’s Big Boy Basics and the Diet will run for weeks 2-5 of the program.

Cardio:

I live by the beach here in socal, so planning on a couple of 30 minute walk/jog sessions on the sand each day.

Will be checking starting weight and measurements on saturday morning.

Weighed in at 271 on Saturday morning so that is what I am basing my calories on.

Minimum Calories: 1822 rounded off to 1800
Maximum Calories: 2186 rounded off to 2200

Non Lifting Days:
16 servings of Mdrive
1 Serving Flameout
2 Servings Flaxseed
Total approx 1832 cals

Lifting Days:
15 servings of Mdrive
1 serving of Surge
2 Servings of Flaxseed
1 serving of Flameout

Will be weighing myself each morning and recording it in the journal. I also took measurements today and will check them weekly. Sunday morning will be starting week 2 of Big Boy Basics.

Sunday 11/5- Day 1

Weighed 272 this morning. Bodyfat yesterday was 25.3% which I forgot to mention.

This morning was day 1 of week two for the BBB program.

Warm up
Bench Press: 8 sets x 3 reps
Seated Cable Row: 8x3
Pulldowns: 8x3
DB Shoulder Press: 8x3
Chin grip pulldowns 5x5

60 secs rest between sets and exercises.

Took HOT-ROX and Flameout this morning. Already had 1 Metabolic Drive shake and my Surge. 4 more shakes to go.

The flax doesnt seem to have any taste at all. Just some texture like 7 grain bread. I may try just eating it dry so I dont have to mess with it settling in my shake.

Also decided not to do any MA training while on the diet. I feel fine now, but I would probably just screw myself up if I tried to roll.

Monday November 6: Day 2

Finished up Day 1 feeling good. The only problem I had was my stomach feeling bloated from all the shakes. Also started later in the day than I should of, so I didn’t have time for the last shake before bed. Instead I added 3 tbsp nat pb to my last shake. This put me at about 70g carbs and 2150ish calories for the day. Pretty damn close to where I wanted to be.

Went for about a 40 minute walk on the beach last night. Felt good, and I am going to make this a habit.

Weight was 269.5 this morning. Got up and had a shake and my pills then went for a 25 min walk around the alamitos beach area of Long Beach. I decided to reduce my shakes from 3 scoops to 2 and they are going down much easier.

Good Job on Day 1!

Day 2 Summary

Activity-
25 min AM walk
35 min PM walk

Diet:
16 servings of Low Carb Metabolic Drive
1 Serving Flameout
2 Servings Flaxseed (Milled)
3-4 liters add’l water

Macros:
Cals: 1832
Pro: 329g
Fat: 42g
Carbs: 70g (22g Fiber)

Felt fine other than a little bloating in my stomach from drinking all the shakes. I will say that one nice thing is that I didn’t experience any energy crashes during the day. Part of it may have been me being busy, but I think the other part is the leveling out of my blood sugar.

Decided to eat my solid meals on thursday with thanksgiving coming. Going to have some chicken breast and chopped turkey bacon salad. For thanksgiving I plan on eating a bunch of turkey and skipping the stuffing and potatoes.

Day 3: Tuesday November 7

Activity Summary:

Big Boy Basics Week 2 Workout 2
Warmup
Squats: 135x3, 205x8, 205x8, 205x8
Hanging Leg Raises: BWx8, BWx8, BWx8
DB Deadlifts: 40x8, 40x8, 40x8
Decline Situps: 8,8,8
Standing Calf Raise: 345x8, 405x8, 495x8, 500x8, 500x8

Workout Notes: I didn’t expect the squats to be nearly as hard as they felt. I will definitely stay at or below 225 on those during the diet. I didn’t get dizzy or anything, just really fatigued doing them.

As I drank more Surge I started feeling better though. This is my first time squating on such a low carb diet, so hopefully I can adapt by next workout. The standing calf raise machine only goes to 495 at my gym so I need to start thinking of a substitute exercise.

Diet:
15 Servings of Metabolic Drive
1 Serving Surge
1 Serving Flameout
1 Serving Psyllium Husks

Notes:
Split the shakes into more frequent 2 scoop shakes and they are much better than the 3 scoopers. Also tried psyllium husk powder instead of flax seed and it was much easier to get down quickly and mix in my shakes.

Supplements:
Max Strength HOT-ROX
Animal Pak Multi
Flameout

Finishing off the bottle of max strength HOT-ROX over the next few days. Already have a bottle of the newer extreme ready to go.

Weds Day 4 is another lifting day for upper body. No real cravings to report, although I was eating pretty clean already prior to starting the V-Diet. Pants are fitting a bit looser already which is good.

I will monitor this thread with great interest as I am contemplating this diet myself.

You’re really Abe Froman, the sausage king of Chicago?

[quote]bigmike8832 wrote:
I will monitor this thread with great interest as I am contemplating this diet myself.

You’re really Abe Froman, the sausage king of Chicago?[/quote]

Yes, and the ladies tell me that I look devilishly handsome in my sweater vest.

Hey bro, I started this diet the day after you did, Monday 11/6. So I’m on my third day and doing well. The second day was a bit rough but I’ve done the diet before so I knew that the second and third day are the toughest days.

Keep it up man… this plan definetely will get you results. Also, you might try Flaxseed Meal instead of milled Flaxseed. The meal is more finely ground which allows it to mix much better and go down better in the shakes.

Abe -

Nice log. Good luck with the diet. I’m in day 17 here. Have done well on it. The problem with the diet isn’t the cost of the sups, it is all the damn new pants one has to buy after being on the diet. A problem that I have embraced with open arms.

I forgot how fun it was to go clothes shopping when everything fits. (No, I’m not gay! = Not that there’s anything wrong with that or, wait a minute, yea, there’s something wrong with that.) LOL.

Good luck man.

[quote]HogLover wrote:

Keep it up man… this plan definetely will get you results. Also, you might try Flaxseed Meal instead of milled Flaxseed. The meal is more finely ground which allows it to mix much better and go down better in the shakes.
[/quote]

Personally, I like the flax seeds, and when mixed with Chocolate Metabolic Drive, I find it somewhat reminisant of Coco-Crispies…

Maybe I’ve been on the diet too long…

[quote]IFR Pilot wrote:
HogLover wrote:
Personally, I like the flax seeds, and when mixed with Chocolate Metabolic Drive, I find it somewhat reminisant of Coco-Crispies…

Maybe I’ve been on the diet too long…
[/quote]

I think that the Chocolate mixed with strawberry tastes like Frankenberry…that was good stuff when I was in about third grade!

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Hey bro, I started this diet the day after you did, Monday 11/6. So I’m on my third day and doing well. The second day was a bit rough but I’ve done the diet before so I knew that the second and third day are the toughest days.

[/quote]

Thanks man, hope your diet goes well. How long did you wait between V-Diets?

Also, thanks for the tip on the flax meal, will check it out. Its not that I don’t like the flax seeds (I think they taste like ground up pecans and can eat spoons of them dry), its just that two+ Tbsp each day is just a pain.

[quote]IFR Pilot wrote:
Abe -

Nice log. Good luck with the diet. I’m in day 17 here. Have done well on it. The problem with the diet isn’t the cost of the sups, it is all the damn new pants one has to buy after being on the diet. A problem that I have embraced with open arms.

I forgot how fun it was to go clothes shopping when everything fits. (No, I’m not gay! = Not that there’s anything wrong with that or, wait a minute, yea, there’s something wrong with that.) LOL.

Good luck man.

[/quote]

Thanks, and good luck on yours. I have been reading all of the other V-Diet threads with great interest.

As a skinny bastard my whole life, I am actually looking forward to being able to fit back into 90% of my clothes. I only wish that I had known about the V-Diet back when I tore my achilles last year.

[quote]Abe Froman wrote:
HogLover wrote:

Also, thanks for the tip on the flax meal, will check it out. Its not that I don’t like the flax seeds (I think they taste like ground up pecans and can eat spoons of them dry), “its just that two+ Tbsp each day is just a pain.”

[/quote]
“its just that two+ Tbsp each day is just a pain.”

Am I missing something here? Are you only using 2 Tablespoons of flax a day? I’m putting 2 tablespoons of flax meal in every shake. Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks

[quote]HogLover wrote:
Abe Froman wrote:
HogLover wrote:

Also, thanks for the tip on the flax meal, will check it out. Its not that I don’t like the flax seeds (I think they taste like ground up pecans and can eat spoons of them dry), “its just that two+ Tbsp each day is just a pain.”

“its just that two+ Tbsp each day is just a pain.”

Am I missing something here? Are you only using 2 Tablespoons of flax a day? I’m putting 2 tablespoons of flax meal in every shake. Can someone clarify this for me?

Thanks[/quote]

Ya, I meant servings. Sorry about that.

It sounds like the plan is going well so far Abe. I like the quality supplements you are using and at that weight you will look huge when you get more cut. I am actually right around your weight and bf% level.

I am on Day 2 of the Velocity Diet after doing it for 50+ days a few months back then I did some Berardi eating then a vacation. I do it with a solid meal a day (chicken or steak +brocolli usually)

Keep up the thread. The Velocity diet is best when people are exchanging ideas and methods for the program.

Weds Nov 8- Day 4

Day 3, Week 2 of CW’s Big Boy Basics.

This consists of:

Warmup
Inc DB Bench Press
Chest Supported T-Bar Rows
Widegrip BB Curls
Reverse Grip Triceps Cable Pressdowns

3 sets x 8 reps with 60 secs rest interval.

Still feeling good with no cravings. In fact the shakes are turning almost too sweet. Surge tastes like liquid sugar now. I have never liked sweet food so this will be a challenge.

Weighed myself this morning (Thurs, and after 4 days I am at 265.0. So a 7.5 lb loss since Sunday morning. Will be taking measurements and post weight again on sunday morning.

Solid Meal Day-

Going to have my first solid meal tonight. A salad with chicken breast, egg, turkey bacon, a bit of cheese, and dressing is on the menu.