T Nation

Velocity Diet and Libido?

I have done a search and not found much info on this topic. Dan John made reference to a low libido in his VD blog - but never gave much detail, ie, how bad was the loss of libido? Was there a change in function? When did it come back etc etc (if it came back - god help us)?

Those of you have completed the diet please post your experiences in this regard.

[quote]swerven wrote:
I have done a search and not found much info on this topic. Dan John made reference to a low libido in his VD blog - but never gave much detail, ie, how bad was the loss of libido? Was there a change in function? When did it come back etc etc (if it came back - god help us)?

Those of you have completed the diet please post your experiences in this regard.[/quote]

Well, now that you mention it, my wife did ask me the other day if we were ever going to have sex again. Apparently she didn’t feel like I was initiating it enough or interested in sex enough lately. I can see how sex might not be as frequent due to lack of energy and sleepiness due low calories.

I’ve got a little bottle of Alpha Male waiting for me after I’m finished with this diet.

I had the same problem. My girlfriend said I didn’t initiate as often as I normally do. And when I did initiate, I wasn’t as (ahem) stiff as usual.

I tried to counter this by taking TRIBEX gold. When that didn’t do anything I switched over to the old-school Alpha Male, which also had no effect.

At this point I came to a realization, both of the T-boosters I used didn’t work because they did not have the raw materials needed to function properly (i.e. cholesterol).

The V-Diet is exceptionally low in the lipid department. Thus, sex hormone production (namely testosterone) drops dramatically while on this diet.

Add to that the extremely hypocaloric nature of the V-Diet and you have a recipe for low libido and low T production.

As far as countering this effect, I tried having a single cooked egg yolk every day with one of my shakes. This seemed to help, but only marginally.

Worry not, It will come back about two to three weeks after you finish the diet.

Hope that helps.

I have noticed the opposite - I have developed a stupidly high libido since I started the diet. However, this may not mean a lot because:

a) I started the diet after finishing a load of very intense end-of-year exams (exams completely mucked up libido)

and

b) I am 20 :slight_smile:

[quote]swerven wrote:

Those of you have completed the diet please post your experiences in this regard.[/quote]

I noticed a bit of a downswing in libido around the end of week one. Maybe from about days 5-10. By the end of week two everything is back to normal. I have Alpha Male and m, but haven’t really needed it. Saving it for when I start upping calories.

IMO lower libido is not specific to the V-Diet, but lower carb diets in general. It’s all related to energy levels. Now everyone is different, but I have seen these same complaints applied to the AD, Atkins, GSD, etc. If you’re worried about it stack in some TRIBEX while on the diet.

Interesting responses. Seems like 2 central schools of thought on the issue;

1. Lower levels of macronutrients. For example, low saturated fats in the V-diet (and other low carb diets) lead to reduced hormone production - affecting libido. Does a similar effect occur when carbs are limited, but fats (including saturated fats) are high eg AD?

2. Low calories - energy restriction leads to tiredness/lethargy and a reduction in libido. It is not the result of macronutrient restriction but energy restriction.

Of course, reduced libido could be a combination of the two while dieting.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
IMO lower libido is not specific to the V-Diet, but lower carb diets in general. It’s all related to energy levels. Now everyone is different, but I have seen these same complaints applied to the AD, Atkins, GSD, etc. If you’re worried about it stack in some TRIBEX while on the diet.[/quote]

[quote]swerven wrote:
Interesting responses. Seems like 2 central schools of thought on the issue;

1. Lower levels of macronutrients. For example, low saturated fats in the V-diet (and other low carb diets) lead to reduced hormone production - affecting libido. Does a similar effect occur when carbs are limited, but fats (including saturated fats) are high eg AD?[/quote]

Yes. I have seen people complain of a similar effect.

[quote]2) Low calories - energy restriction leads to tiredness/lethargy and a reduction in libido. It is not the result of macronutrient restriction but energy restriction.

Of course, reduced libido could be a combination of the two while dieting.[/quote]

Or it could be something completely different. It could be 100% psychological. You never know.