T Nation

Velocity Diet and Casein?

How much would the results of the velocity diet suffer with a pure whey shake instead of a whey and casein blend?

I believe the reason it’s recommended you use the micellar casein/whey blend is more for satiety than anything else. If you do 100% whey concentrate, isolate, or worse, hydrosolate, you’re going to be starving all of the time because they’ll get digested quicker than casein.

you would be DOOMED!you would never make it.

[quote]MichaelHeber wrote:
How much would the results of the velocity diet suffer with a pure whey shake instead of a whey and casein blend?[/quote]

This has been discussed numerous times. Do you use the search function before asking questions?

Anywho, NO ONE has successfully completed the V-Diet using whey protein alone.

Maybe you’ll be the first.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Anywho, NO ONE has successfully completed the V-Diet using whey protein alone.[/quote]

You know for someone who is such a critical thinker- I’m surprised you made that statement given there is no possible way for you to prove it.

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:

You know for someone who is such a critical thinker- I’m surprised you made that statement given there is no possible way for you to prove it.[/quote]

LOL. Allow me to clarify: No one has posted to this forum that he has successfully completed the V-Diet using whey alone.

Perhaps there is someone out there… Anyone? Bueller?

MichaelHeber wrote:
How much would the results of the velocity diet suffer with a pure whey shake instead of a whey and casein blend?

This has been discussed numerous times. Do you use the search function before asking questions?

Maybe you’ll be the first.[/quote]

Hi. I’m a 16 year old 5’8" 120 pound MAN who failed doing the v-diet before. But now that you’ve given me a challenge (I only quit the v-diet because I got bored) I think I will do the v-diet with only whey protein and prove you wrong, because one day I’m going to be bruce lee.

Love always,
your worst nightmare

P.S. Where can I get whey protein?

Sorry, had to say it before someone actually made a serious post.

I did the v-diet (then the Fat Fast) with whey-only about 5 years ago (in high school). The only reason I used whey-only is because I was a newbie back then and didn’t understand the different proteins, thus didn’t do the V-diet properly. I was so motivated that it didn’t seem to bother me…until someone brought in a huge tray of cookies to work. I lasted just over two weeks on the diet.

Use protein shake with mixed proteins. It is so much easier and gives you a better chance to succeed! I am on the V-diet again, properly this time, and I’m having no problem.

Casein protein is more expensive, but some have suggested using a mix (whey and casien) to cut down on the cost. You could try it like if you feel it’s absolutely necessary (financially). I am a completely broke student but I managed to scrounge up the money. In the long run, you’ll save money…1g of protein from powder is cheaper than 1 gram from meat. I know a month on this diet is cheaper than a normally grocery bill for me.

Also, look for good deals on supplements. M-drive is the best, but there are a few other brands that are comperable that might be cheaper depending where you live (that was the case for me). I’m using a mix of Biotest supplements and another high-quality brand, to keep the cost down.

[quote]Jade1 wrote:
I did the v-diet (then the Fat Fast) with whey-only about 5 years ago (in high school). The only reason I used whey-only is because I was a newbie back then and didn’t understand the different proteins, thus didn’t do the V-diet properly. I was so motivated that it didn’t seem to bother me…until someone brought in a huge tray of cookies to work. I lasted just over two weeks on the diet.

Use protein shake with mixed proteins. It is so much easier and gives you a better chance to succeed! I am on the V-diet again, properly this time, and I’m having no problem.

Casein protein is more expensive, but some have suggested using a mix (whey and casien) to cut down on the cost. You could try it like if you feel it’s absolutely necessary (financially). I am a completely broke student but I managed to scrounge up the money. In the long run, you’ll save money…1g of protein from powder is cheaper than 1 gram from meat. I know a month on this diet is cheaper than a normally grocery bill for me.

Also, look for good deals on supplements. M-drive is the best, but there are a few other brands that are comperable that might be cheaper depending where you live (that was the case for me). I’m using a mix of Biotest supplements and another high-quality brand, to keep the cost down. [/quote]

Using half Metabolic Drive and half another supp seems a good idea, could the other half be just a straight whey shake?

[quote]MichaelHeber wrote:Using half Metabolic Drive and half another supp seems a good idea, could the other half be just a straight whey shake?
[/quote]

You could try this, but you’ll want to be careful as whey is definitely more insolugenic than casein. If you’re prone to blood-sugar fluctuations, it may not be the best choice.

[quote]Jade1 wrote:
I did the v-diet (then the Fat Fast) with whey-only about 5 years ago (in high school). [/quote]

I don’t think they’re the same thing.

If you change what your supposed to be eating or using durring the diet, it isnt the V-diet anymore its your own contraption. But try it and tell us how it works

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Jade1 wrote:
I did the v-diet (then the Fat Fast) with whey-only about 5 years ago (in high school).

I don’t think they’re the same thing.[/quote]

It was the “Predecessor” to the V-diet, but less calories and less carbs. I don’t think the “Fat fast” is posted on here anymore.

Still drank protein shakes, fiber and flax oil all day. There may have been a few other differences but I can’t remember…however, I do remember not eating a thing, just drinking whey all day.

[quote]Jade1 wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
Jade1 wrote:
I did the v-diet (then the Fat Fast) with whey-only about 5 years ago (in high school).

It was the “Predecessor” to the V-diet, but less calories and less carbs. I don’t think the “Fat fast” is posted on here anymore.

Still drank protein shakes, fiber and flax oil all day. There may have been a few other differences but I can’t remember…however, I do remember not eating a thing, just drinking whey all day.[/quote]

I think Chris goes over all the differences in the first V-diet article.

I think the protein and carbs are quite a bit higher with the v-diet.

I’m not positive though.

[quote]MichaelHeber wrote:

Using half Metabolic Drive and half another supp seems a good idea, could the other half be just a straight whey shake?

[/quote]

I’m not sure how this would work but you could always give it a try. I know many others on here have been doing it. The casein is important. I personally, have been drinking 4-5 (two scoop) shakes a day(casein)…then throwing in a whey shake or two for extra protein. I weigh soo much, that to get enough protein I would have to drink like 7 casein shakes a day…expensive and difficult to keep calories in the right range; the whey is cheaper and has less calories.

I think you should just think of yourself and how your body works/reacts and experiment until you get it right. After all, isn’t that what all the authors on this site do? People have been going crazy if others go even slightly off the v-diet rules. I don’t think it’s that big of a deal (aside from “subbing in” five whole meals a day or something, lol.)

Although, I do agree that following the diet precisely is a good idea and saves you from a lot of work and potential failure; I think small, rational, educated adjustments won’t be a big deal, especially if they get you the results you want and are based on how your body works. If you fail, you fail and know what you need to do next time.

[quote]Jade1 wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
Jade1 wrote:

Still drank protein shakes, fiber and flax oil all day. There may have been a few other differences but I can’t remember…however, I do remember not eating a thing, just drinking whey all day.[/quote]

Fat Fast was harder, so props - especially since you were in high school!

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
Jade1 wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
Jade1 wrote:

Still drank protein shakes, fiber and flax oil all day. There may have been a few other differences but I can’t remember…however, I do remember not eating a thing, just drinking whey all day.

I think Chris goes over all the differences in the first V-diet article.

I think the protein and carbs are quite a bit higher with the v-diet.

I’m not positive though.
[/quote]

Yeah, I was just looking through my old training journal and found the calculations I did for the Fat Fast…I was 210lb at the time and the calories were: 1470. For the v-diet at 210, calories would be 1510…so not too much of a difference there.

But, the protein grams were 110! and fat was 114g. That leaves no room for carbs, lol. A sample day was 5-6 shakes, 5tbsp flax oil and a huge helping of metamucil!

Fat Fast was harder, so props - especially since you were in high school![/quote]

lol. Thanks. I really wish I made made it to the end though. I think it would have changed the last few years of my training. I was 26% BF then and a great athlete…felt like I was 98% BF though.

Maybe if I’d lost that extra fat through the fat fast I would have finally seen my muscles and felt good about myself to keep training hard…instead of obsessing over body image for the last 5 years. Oh well, I’m on the ball now…

I know in the two weeks I was on the fat fast I lost a shitload of weight. My pants were literally falling off…TWO WEEKS! It was excellent… looking forward to finishing the V-diet.

Isn’t anyone going to mention that casein digests slower, thus presenting aminos to the bloodstream over a much longer period of time, thereby preventing a lot of senseless catabolism?

I mean, if you don’t mind throwing away muscle, try it without casein. However, you’ll find you get hungry much quicker and you lose scads of muscle. Sounds like a bad idea to me, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I know that I tried it with whey only and couldn’t make it. I lasted around three days.

I’m prone to blood sugar fluctuations, so it was probably even worse for me, but I don’t recommend it.