Veggie Addiction

Yo guys, hi everybody.

First post after two years of T-Nation daily dependence. Me a male from Italy. 193 cm, 91 kg.

As the subject said, I’ve got a Veggie Addiction. My carbo daily intake comes exclusively from veggies with the only exceptions of the PWO Shake (home-made italian style Surge .grrrrrrr…can’t find the original here in Italy!) and of the little sugars of cottage cheese or similar.

So, I eat cooked veggies in my pro\fat breakfast (two big and full cups of boiled spinach\green beans\broccoli\etc.), I eat raw veggies with my mid-morning pro\fat meal (a kilo of cucumbers or fennels or pepper or etc.), I eat a mix of cooked and raw veggies in my pro\fat lunch (salad plus some boiled spinach,green beans\broccoli\etc.), I eat raw veggies with my mid-afternoon pro\fat meal(a kilo of cucumbers or fennels or pepper or etc.) then, after about 1 hour and a half I’ll start my 2hours weight training (at about 20.00 p.m.).

I consume my fake-Surge in the immediate PWO and, after one hour of stretching, I eat the last meal of the day. A solid one. (at about 23.30 p.m.).

As I’m devoted to JB (eeheh) I’ll try to keep this last meal a carbo\Pro one. As carbos I use to consume about 2 kilos of veggies during this meal, normally boiled with some raw stuff.

Now, the questions:

• do you consider that my veggies intake during the pro\fat meals are too high? Are those veggies alterating the benefits of the pro\fat stuff?

• do you consider that two kilos of veggies are two much as the only carbos in a carbo\pro meal?

• closing, am I too much addicted to those green shits?

Thanx in advance

peace

me

[quote]deplana wrote:
Now, the questions:

• do you consider that my veggies intake during the pro\fat meals are too high? Are those veggies alterating the benefits of the pro\fat stuff?

• do you consider that two kilos of veggies are two much as the only carbos in a carbo\pro meal?

• closing, am I too much addicted to those green shits?

Thanx in advance

peace

me

[/quote]

1. No I would say that it’s OKAY to have carbs in your P/F meals and Fat in your P/C meal. JB has addressed this directly. It doesnt mean that you go overboard and have malto in your P/F meal, but the carbs from those vegetables should not be considered a problem.

2. 4.4 lbs of vegetables is a lot of vegetables, but that is really besides the point, are you getting the correct amount of carbs from your vegetables? (2:1) C:P ratio? Keep in mind that lettuce for instance, has small amounts of carbs, but these amounts of carbohydrates are effectively reduced or offset by the energy expended in actually digesting the vegetable for absorption, the exception here being beans, being a great complex carb source.

3. No, you can never really have enough vegetables unless you are consistently getting EXPLOSIVE and wattery diarrhea, then you may be losing too much water.

Uhhh… you’re fine. Most of those veggies don’t affect your blood sugar a bit. You must shit like a horse with all that fiber. So don’t worry, you will not gain body fat from veggies other than maybe corn and such. How do you fit all that in? damn.

-chris

Thanx for those first replies.

How can I fit all those? Simply, I’ll shit a lot.

:-)))

The only evident problem I noticed with that kind of veggies intake (combined with the fact that I’m drinking a lot of water too… and I think you all already have an idea that when I say a lot, I mean “really” a lot!) is that, with the exception of the early morning and the post workout period, my core is “a little blurred”.

But, as getting a six pack is not my mission, I just don’t care.

Sincerely I’ve never checked my bf. But I noticed that, since I start being devoted to JB (and I’ve improved my training attitude by getting experienced with T-Nation), bf it is drastically reduced. And strenght goes up.

Obviously (in relation to the high veggies intake) my legs doesn’t look “blurred” at all. But unfortunately our digestive system isn’t in legs…eheheh.

Concerning the 2:1 (c:p) ratio of the PWO solid meal, I’ll try to keep it at a 1:1 ratio as it’s the last meal of the day before 8 fasted hours of sleep.

peace

me

[quote]deplana wrote:
I’ll shit a lot.

:-)))

[/quote]

Well, yea. What goes in mostly has to come out.

[quote]deplana wrote:

The only evident problem I noticed with that kind of veggies intake (combined with the fact that I’m drinking a lot of water too… and I think you all already have an idea that when I say a lot, I mean “really” a lot!) is that, with the exception of the early morning and the post workout period, my core is “a little blurred”.

But, as getting a six pack is not my mission, I just don’t care.

Sincerely I’ve never checked my bf. But I noticed that, since I start being devoted to JB (and I’ve improved my training attitude by getting experienced with T-Nation), bf it is drastically reduced. And strenght goes up.
[/quote]

yea thats the case with everybod.

Keep doing what you’re doing bro! All those veggies will only help you in the long run!

Damn I wish I had an addiction like that.

I would trade my fluffernutter addiction for a veggie addiction anyday. lol

So how long have you been hooked on the stuff and how did you get hooked on the stuff. Maybe I can try and get hooked too. lol

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

So how long have you been hooked on the stuff and how did you get hooked on the stuff. Maybe I can try and get hooked too. lol[/quote]

It’s all in the preparation. You can prepare vegetables without a ton of fat and/or carbs, and they will be very tasty. Someone should start a veggie recipe thread.

Veggies are my addiction as well. If I eat nothing but vegetables, I would never miss anything. I have to sometimes remind myself to eat meats, carbs, fats.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:

So how long have you been hooked on the stuff and how did you get hooked on the stuff. Maybe I can try and get hooked too. lol[/quote]

Try preparing a batch of vegetables and keeping portion sizes in the fridge. Then when you want a snack, such as fluffernutter or candy, have the vegetables instead. Once you’ve been doing this for a little while, empty calories will lose their glamour, and the veggies by comparison will taste so whole and fill you up in a healthy manner.

Sometimes vegetables are really tasty if you combine cooked and raw vegetables together.

I’ll share with you a rather simple recipe, keep this in the fridge, and for snacktime, heat one up in the micro for 20-30 seconds or so. It has BBQ sauce, so that will satisfy the sweet tooth in you. Plus it’s loaded with nutrients and fiber, so you will be far more satisfied than if you were to consume a regular sweet, sugary snack.

VEGGIE WRAPS (I read this recipe somewhere years ago, and through years of using it, have altered it to my own liking)

Whole wheat low carb tortillas

One yellow onion, cut in half, then sliced thinly

Olive oil, garlic salt, pepper

2 T. BBQ Sauce (or low carb BBQ sauce or homemade BBQ Sauce)

On high heat, place 1 T. olive oil. Add onions and cook until carmellized, stirring occasionally and seasoning with garlic salt and pepper. Then add BBQ sauce, stir through, and cook until BBQ sauce is somewhat carmellized. Set aside off of the heat.

Any combination of cooked (steamed) and raw vegetables, chopped or julienned
-My fave: Steamed and chopped broccoli florets, julienned raw carrot, grated raw beets, chopped raw tomato, alfalfa sprouts, small amount of chopped green leaf lettuce

Toss all the veggies together. Add a small amount of olive oil, season with small amount of garlic salt and pepper. Next, add the onions, which should almost be room temperature, and toss the mixuture well.

2 Leftover grilled or baked chicken breasts, julienned or chopped
1 avocado, optional

Warm the tortillas in a dry pan, then assemble the wraps, with avocado, chicken, vegetable mixture. Fold the bottom of the wrap and then the sides. Wrap the ones that won’t be immediately eaten in wax paper or saran wrap and store in the fridge. Heat for a few seconds in the micro before eating.

–Another variation is making a healthy homemade Garlic Caesar type of sauce out of roasted garlic and fresh lemon juice, tossing it with the chopped cooked, warm broccoli, sauteeing the onions without the BBQ sauce. Also, you can forgo the whole wheat tortilla wrap and eat it as a salad if desired, or use corn tortillas.

Thanks for the tip, i’ll try that. I like how you put a little note in the recipe on how to fold the tortilla as well.
Being latino though I’ve mastered the art of folding/eating burritos. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
Thanks for the tip, i’ll try that. I like how you put a little note in the recipe on how to fold the tortilla as well.
Being latino though I’ve mastered the art of folding/eating burritos. :-P[/quote]

You prolly know how to fold it better than I, my being asian (chopsticks and bowls). :slight_smile: The original recipe makes note of the folding of the bottom, to prevent the dripping of the sauce and in order to retain the drippings, as this is where a lot of the flavor is, per the original recipe.

[quote]AndrewG909 wrote:
Being latino though I’ve mastered the art of folding/eating burritos. :-P[/quote]

You prolly know how to fold it better than I, my being asian (chopsticks and bowls). :slight_smile: The original recipe makes note of the folding of the bottom, to prevent the dripping of the sauce and in order to retain the drippings, as this is where a lot of the flavor is, per the original recipe.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
AndrewG909 wrote:

So how long have you been hooked on the stuff and how did you get hooked on the stuff. Maybe I can try and get hooked too. lol
It’s all in the preparation. You can prepare vegetables without a ton of fat and/or carbs, and they will be very tasty. Someone should start a veggie recipe thread.

Veggies are my addiction as well. If I eat nothing but vegetables, I would never miss anything. I have to sometimes remind myself to eat meats, carbs, fats.

[/quote]

I’ll quote the lady about the “it’s all in the preparation”. The key is to find the best compromise between cooking method\quantity\taste.

As I’m eating kgs of veggies a day, my way is to split the intake between cooked and raw stuff.

For the raw stuff, just buy those daily (if you can), wash and eat them all! Easy to carry at work\school too in a ZipLock.

For the cooked stuff, I’ll steam all veggies in a very big pot, adding spices such as red repper, coriander, origan, sage, etc. Usually I do frozen spinach\green beans and fresh peppers\anykindofcabbage\eggplants\etc.
And store them in da fridge within tupperwares.

Of course, I’ve to cook almost everyday. But I’ll like it. Even if it reduces my spare time.

peace

me

Since we had a fellow Italian post the original, my Fav veggie is spinach smothered in extra virgin olive oil! It goes well with a chicken breast in marinara, homemade sauce only though. Get that sauce in the jar outta here!

I’m basically just a spinach fanatic. I usually eat two huge spin ach salads a day. I cook up butter, mushrooms, garlic, peppers, and onions in a fry pan and toss it over the spinach with some olive oil and vinegar (malt, balsamic etc.) and then dose it with parmesan. To die for.

-chris

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
I’m basically just a spinach fanatic. I usually eat two huge spin ach salads a day. I cook up butter, mushrooms, garlic, peppers, and onions in a fry pan and toss it over the spinach with some olive oil and vinegar (malt, balsamic etc.) and then dose it with parmesan. To die for.

-chris[/quote]

Ehhh…parmesan. Nothing to do with the original “Parmigiano Reggiano”. But I think is quite expensive in the U.S. And maybe difficult to find.
:-))))

I’ve been in the U.S several times and is very funny the habit of giving food italian name. Not the taste.

ehehhehehe

peace

me

I have to commend all you t-men here for the excellent self control. Not one single joke about women and cucumbers. Very good. Golf Clap

Hi guys,
new forum member here :wink:
It`s funny to read this topic as i must admit that i too fall into the veggie addicted category :stuck_out_tongue:

And this has taken me into question if i should add the carbs that i consume from fibrous veggies (broccoli, spinach, green beans, cabbage, cauliflower, etc.) into my daily carb intake?
Thanks in advance guys :wink:

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
I have to commend all you t-men here for the excellent self control. Not one single joke about women and cucumbers. Very good. Golf Clap[/quote]

As I started out the discussion, Golf Clap from me too. Not one single joke about me and the kilos of cucumbers in da middle of the morning.

eheheheheheheheh

peace

me