T Nation

Vegetarians and Great Skin?

This is probabaly a dumb question but I was recently talking with a few of my family members who are vegetarians and some how began talking about skin. They were saying how most vegetarians have great skin and while I thought it was true I began to wonder why that is, if most vegetarians drink a lot of milk and eat alot of fruits and nuts would that not cause high levels of insulin resulting in acne?

That skin thing is a lie spread by “vegetarians” (communists) to promote the anti-meat agenda.

I would guess it had something to do with lower than normal test levels. A diet void of meat, proteins, (and all the saturated fatty acids specifically found in meat)and cholesterol would not help. Add soy to the mix and I am sure they have similar hormone profiles to little girly men.

Plus, I heard, vegetarians get a sweet lotion package when they stop eating meat.

[quote]Make1tRa1n wrote:
Plus, I heard, vegetarians get a sweet lotion package when they stop eating meat.

[/quote]

ha.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
That skin thing is a lie spread by “vegetarians” (communists) to promote the anti-meat agenda.

[/quote]

That is the dumbest fucking thing I’ve ever heard. The low test thing is probably right. In defense of vegetarians, if your diet is well planned, you get a lot of good fats from oils and avocados and such which can help.

But to be perfectly honest to the OP, you’re on the wrong board to get any unbiased vegetarian advice.

I was a (healthy) vegetarian for a few years. My skin did clear up, and my body odor smelled great, but I never thought about the connection since I gradually gave up meat. There might be something to it.

I hooked up with a vegetarian/raw food-ist once this summer and she had great skin. That probably wouldnt hold up in the court of science as correlating the vege-skin theory but there ya go…

I suppose it would depend on the type of vegetarian as well, what they considered meat. This girl was a pesco-vegetarian (I think that’s what they’re called), so she ate fish which would of couse supply some EFA’s to the skin.

[quote]mrjoshua wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
That skin thing is a lie spread by “vegetarians” (communists) to promote the anti-meat agenda.

That is the dumbest fucking thing I’ve ever heard. The low test thing is probably right. In defense of vegetarians, if your diet is well planned, you get a lot of good fats from oils and avocados and such which can help.

But to be perfectly honest to the OP, you’re on the wrong board to get any unbiased vegetarian advice.[/quote]

Hence my sarcastic answer, genius.

I used to be into vegetarianism back in the day. Someone at my gym told me about this website back in 2001. As I read about things like more fat in the diet, ie fish oil, olive oil, and flax, my weight and strength SHOT up. I can only assume that my test levels went to where they should have been as a young man.

[quote]Winger11 wrote:
I hooked up with a vegetarian/raw food-ist once this summer and she had great skin. That probably wouldnt hold up in the court of science as correlating the vege-skin theory but there ya go…

I suppose it would depend on the type of vegetarian as well, what they considered meat. This girl was a pesco-vegetarian (I think that’s what they’re called), so she ate fish which would of couse supply some EFA’s to the skin. [/quote]

Dude your post is scary shit. I’m trying to date this one girl that works at a local store here. She is also a so-called pesco-vegetarian. She also has the clearest skin I’ve ever seen. It’s like a freaking pane of glass. I see you’re from Canada; you haven’t been to Nebraska recently, have you?

[quote]-ETHAN- wrote:
This is probabaly a dumb question but I was recently talking with a few of my family members who are vegetarians and some how began talking about skin. They were saying how most vegetarians have great skin and while I thought it was true I began to wonder why that is, if most vegetarians drink a lot of milk and eat alot of fruits and nuts would that not cause high levels of insulin resulting in acne?

[/quote]
well mate, I’d have to say that this is wrong…
i am educated to degree level in such fields as biochemistry, chemistry, genetics etc grew up and and am of a race/culture where our diet and very many people are predominantly vegetarian.
Realistically to make that kind of generalisation is on a vegeterians part to try to promote their lifestyle i think, as they are well known to do as these ‘BORN AGAIN VEGETARIANS’…
I myself am not vegetarion and have been told my skin is very good, i am 34yrs old and and continuously mistaken for being in my early 20’s and often even younger (tho’ it doesn’t help me pick up women - haha!!!) and from personal experience I’ve found that drinking alot of water & excercise helps more with good skin rather than eating meat or vege.
Also generally it is more a genetics thing being the biggest contibuting factor for ‘good skin’ as you put it - so i think most of the time it is just coincedence that the person with good skin is a vegetarian, if you fully compiled statistics of people who had good skin(which is hard to judge visually in itself) and were vegetarians as opposed to meat eaters ther probably wouldn’t be any obvious corelation.
In most cases generally vegetarians will consume alot of fats and oils as you say, often used in vegetarian meals in much higher amounts added as flavourings such as cheese and oils/fats in sauces, dressings for flavourings etc for vege meals.
Whether it be animal based or not this would still in fact contribute to bad skin to the same degree as fat in other forms which are from eating meats high in fat.
In reality the only way that you could say that a vege diet was better for you is if the person was living on steamed or baked veges without sauces and flavourings and very low levels of fats/oils to make any sort of comparison.
Nothing will in fact compare to a well balanced diet rather than eliminating anything in particular.

[quote]eic wrote:
Winger11 wrote:
I hooked up with a vegetarian/raw food-ist once this summer and she had great skin. That probably wouldnt hold up in the court of science as correlating the vege-skin theory but there ya go…

I suppose it would depend on the type of vegetarian as well, what they considered meat. This girl was a pesco-vegetarian (I think that’s what they’re called), so she ate fish which would of couse supply some EFA’s to the skin.

Dude your post is scary shit. I’m trying to date this one girl that works at a local store here. She is also a so-called pesco-vegetarian. She also has the clearest skin I’ve ever seen. It’s like a freaking pane of glass. I see you’re from Canada; you haven’t been to Nebraska recently, have you?[/quote]

LMAO! No man, I haven’t been to Nebraska, you’re in the clear…

I know this one chick with awesome skin and she eats meat all the time…do you think it’s her high meat diet that gives her such great skin?

Seriously, there are people with great skin whether they eat meat or not, I have one friend who is vegan and she doesn’t have great skin. I eat meat, and my skin is fine. My mom has some of the nicest skin I know and she has always eaten meat.

I don’t think it matters much.

[quote]PozzSka wrote:
My mom has some of the nicest skin I know and she has always eaten meat.
[/quote]

Awwww, how cute. Sorry maybe its all those vegetables I’ve been eating that are dropping my T levels. The only words I can think of right now are cute, cuddly and quiche!

There may be some vegetarians that have nice skin. I WAS a vegetarian and I had bad acne. Look, all the evidence is against vegetarianism these days, so veggies got their backs to the wall and have to come up with random shit.

I can respect people who practice vegetarianism for ethical reasons, but as time goes on there seems to be no doubt that from a health point of view, vegetarianism just doesn’t work.

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
PozzSka wrote:
My mom has some of the nicest skin I know and she has always eaten meat.

Awwww, how cute. Sorry maybe its all those vegetables I’ve been eating that are dropping my T levels. The only words I can think of right now are cute, cuddly and quiche!

[/quote]

Go eat a steak and drink a bottle of TRIBEX! That’s right DRINK IT!

:wink:

One of my secretaries is a vegan and she has the worst acne I have seen in an adult. She also was born a man. (just kidding about the last part)

[quote]Winger11 wrote:

LMAO! No man, I haven’t been to Nebraska, you’re in the clear…[/quote]

Whew! That’s good news. I mean, no offense, but you know what I’m saying. You can’t bring a girl home to ma if she’s been the subject of a discussion about hookups on an Internet forum. It’s against the rules.

[quote]entheogens wrote:
There may be some vegetarians that have nice skin. I WAS a vegetarian and I had bad acne. Look, all the evidence is against vegetarianism these days, so veggies got their backs to the wall and have to come up with random shit.

I can respect people who practice vegetarianism for ethical reasons, but as time goes on there seems to be no doubt that from a health point of view, vegetarianism just doesn’t work.[/quote]

Agree.