Vegetarian Protein Shakes

Hi all,

After many months of stomach issues, I was advised by a friend to try vegetarian protein shakes and I switched to a brand call “Plant Fusion.” since then, I have had no problems and feel great. But recently. Ive been reading up on “complete proteins” and how vegetarian shakes may not contain enough amino acids. Is there anyone out there that uses vegetarian protein shakes and has any ideas about this.

Also, which protein shales do you use?

Thanks,

I use a rice protein shake. Be warned, it tastes like dirt. Literally, exactly like dirt.

One of the issues with rice protein is that while it’s a complete protein it doesn’t pack much leucine, so I add a few grams of leucine to my shakes, which makes them taste even worse.

Another issue with rice protein is that it’s Biological Value is considerably lower than whey (basically just means the protein isn’t as usable). There’s not much you can do about that, but the way I see it I’m better off drinking a shake with a poorer BV which I can actually digest properly, than a shake with a higher BV that’s just going to explode out of my arse in a couple of hours time.

Mixing rice protein and pea protein would be an option. But yeah, as Yogi stated, rice protein tastes a bit weird. It’s sandy, in a way. However, if you have a blender and a few fruits and vegetables, there’s an easy way around it…

[quote]Yogi wrote:

One of the issues with rice protein is that while it’s a complete protein it doesn’t pack much leucine, so I add a few grams of leucine to my shakes, which makes them taste even worse.

[/quote]

I bet.

I guarantee you it’s easier to just measure out 2-3g of leucine, put it in your mouth, and rinse it with water. Do it separate from the shake.

Yeah I use a rice+pea blend. Like a 30-70 ratio, which I found after researching seems to have a pretty similar AA ratio as whey. It’s not delicious, but it’s not like I have to to chug the thing while holding my nose. I can just sip on it, and I’ll use it in some almond milk sometimes as opposed to water, neither are ‘great’ but aren’t bad either.

I’m not a vegetarian though, so I don’t really worry about the Leucine as I eat a variety of protein sources throughout the day. I still use a scoop of a whey/casein blend protein in the morning in my coffee as well. I found that whey gives me digestive issues in large quantities, but just having a little is no big deal. Regardless, going vegetarian with 90% of my protein shakes has made a huge difference for me in digestion, and also cleared up a lot of acne I was having.

I would advise against hemp protein though. That takes like horse shit.

Google “PDCAAs optimal blend” and look around.