Vegetarian, Is Bulking Hopeless?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Chris Arp wrote:

Your trying to say that he can not reach his muscular potential using these proteins and training hard? If so, why?

No, I’m trying to say your previous post was unnecessary and added nothing because his goal is to gain muscle mass, not simply be a great lacrosse player which is what your post was referring to. How was this not clear?

No one is denying that eggs, milk and protein powders have protein in them. There have been TWO well known bodybuilders who were vegetarians, but the truth is, their genetics were clearly far better than most humans on the planet and they would have probably been ridiculous in terms of potential had they not limited themselves.

Can it be done? Yes, and no one is denying that.[/quote]

Who were these bodybuilders?

When it comes to amino-acids and their use for the human body I am searching for a word, maybe someone can help me out.

Egg protein would be a hundred per-cent allmost all the rest would be lower.

The lower the less usefull for the human body.

What was interesting though, especially for a vegetarian, was that certain combinations of food, fE eggs and potatoes were very close to one hundred some even better.

If I were vegetarian I?d look into this concept and find as many good combinations as possible, this way one could work around the lack of meat.

Found it:

In German it means “biologische Wertigkeit”.

Biologische Wertigkeit – Wikipedia

http://gin.uibk.ac.at/thema/sportundernaehrung/protein.html

Good combinations are:

36% Egg and 64% potatoe protein=> 136
75% milk and 25% wheatflour protein=> 125
60% egg, 40 soja protein => 125

and so on…

Beans only have 40-50 so the OP really should look into this.

To the non-vegetarians even meat only has around 70-90 so maybe you want to look into this too especially while dieting, because then you want to get as much out of your calories as you can.

edit:

The English term is “Biological value”

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/MEETING/004/M2835E/M2835E00.HTM

No I said i DO eat eggs, milk, fish, i just don’t eat red meat and chicken.

When i was young I never had the taste for red meat, and just ate fish and chicken. later i phased chicken out. its not about ethics or religious reasons. it was just a choice i made. and i do understand that most of you think im crazy, but its my choice. I just want to thank you guys, you have helped a lot

[quote]datta wrote:
Milk is different from an egg. In an egg, there is a life developing. In milk, there is no embryo. Plus, my religion recommends cow’s milk as an excellent food.[/quote]

I’m guessing you’re Buddhist(?) and aren’t a farmer. Eggs you buy for eating are unfertilized, no roosters in the hen house. So there is no chance that the eggs are ever going to become chickens, feel free to eat them.

[quote]texass wrote:
datta wrote:
Milk is different from an egg. In an egg, there is a life developing. In milk, there is no embryo. Plus, my religion recommends cow’s milk as an excellent food.

I’m guessing you’re Buddhist(?) and aren’t a farmer. Eggs you buy for eating are unfertilized, no roosters in the hen house. So there is no chance that the eggs are ever going to become chickens, feel free to eat them.

[/quote]

Nah, Hindu.

Maybe in the US, but down here you never know where you get eggs from. Many people have cracked eggs and had a little foetus fall out.

[quote]ChiTownLax wrote:
No I said i DO eat eggs, milk, fish, i just don’t eat red meat and chicken. [/quote]

LOL. Then stop calling yourself a vegetarian. If you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian.

Just drink a lot of protein shakes and you’ll be fine.

For every animal you don’t eat… I’ll eat three.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
ChiTownLax wrote:

LOL. Then stop calling yourself a vegetarian. If you eat fish, you are not a vegetarian.

Just drink a lot of protein shakes and you’ll be fine. [/quote]

yeah or eat more fish. Fuk I know some pretty bad dudes that don’t get red meat cause they’re broke students. Stuff like tuna, salmon and sardines in cans is fine, just eat more of it. If eating eggs milk and fish qualify you for vege status then I’ve been a vege since my roommate left with his BBQ.

BTW most Buddhists can eat meat, they just can’t slaughter it if they are hard core Buddhists.

Nothing hits the spot like a couple chicken fetuses fried up with onions.

-chris

[quote]redrum wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Chris Arp wrote:

Your trying to say that he can not reach his muscular potential using these proteins and training hard? If so, why?

No, I’m trying to say your previous post was unnecessary and added nothing because his goal is to gain muscle mass, not simply be a great lacrosse player which is what your post was referring to. How was this not clear?

No one is denying that eggs, milk and protein powders have protein in them. There have been TWO well known bodybuilders who were vegetarians, but the truth is, their genetics were clearly far better than most humans on the planet and they would have probably been ridiculous in terms of potential had they not limited themselves.

Can it be done? Yes, and no one is denying that.

[/quote]

Bill Pearl and Andreas Cahling. They are in fact the only two in several decades that I have seen who reached the level of size they attained.

Andreas Cahling looked better at age 49 than many people in their early 20’s. consider them exceptions to the rule. I have seen other “vegan” bodybuilders but not those that size.

redrum wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Chris Arp wrote:

Bill Pearl and Andreas Cahling. They are in fact the only two in several decades that I have seen who reached the level of size they attained.

Andreas Cahling looked better at age 49 than many people in their early 20’s. consider them exceptions to the rule. I have seen other “vegan” bodybuilders but not those that size.[/quote]

And I’d be willing to bet they ate more chicken fetuses in one day than most do in a month. I love eggs second only to T-Nation member tribulus (IMHO) who has officially made the largest retail egg purchase ever. But I think even i would get sick of the buggers without any variation other than fish and milk.

I suppose it depends on what the OP is willing to accept as “decent gains” given his approach.

There are plenty of fish in the sea?

-chris

Andreas Cahling looked better at age 49 than many people in their early 20’s. consider them exceptions to the rule. I have seen other “vegan” bodybuilders but not those that size.[/quote]

You got any pics of Cahling? I’ve heard that Bill Pearl was, never heard of Cahling. You certainly do know your BB history…

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
I love eggs second only to T-Nation member tribulus (IMHO) who has officially made the largest retail egg purchase ever. But I think even i would get sick of the buggers without any variation other than fish and milk.
-chris[/quote]

How big was this purchase? I once purchased a case of Omega three eggs from Wal-mart. That’s about 15-18 dozen eggs.

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Andreas Cahling looked better at age 49 than many people in their early 20’s. consider them exceptions to the rule. I have seen other “vegan” bodybuilders but not those that size.

You got any pics of Cahling? I’ve heard that Bill Pearl was, never heard of Cahling. You certainly do know your BB history…[/quote]

This one was shown in Flex magazine around 1998.

[quote]ChiTownLax wrote:

When i was young I never had the taste for red meat, and just ate fish and chicken. later i phased chicken out. its not about ethics or religious reasons. it was just a choice i made. and i do understand that most of you think im crazy, but its my choice. I just want to thank you guys, you have helped a lot[/quote]

If it’s not for moral or religious reasons, it’s seems to me that you’re holding yourself back for no good reason. It’s not that you won’t be able to make progess. But you’re intentionally impeding your progress because…well, because…why again? But to each his own, i guess.

Andreas at age 49.

redrum wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Chris Arp wrote:

Were they vegetarian all of the way through their careers I wonder? I just can’t believe it. Every vegetarian I know looks like shit.

[quote]redrum wrote:

Were they vegetarian all of the way through their careers I wonder? I just can’t believe it. Every vegetarian I know looks like shit.

[/quote]

No one would know the true answer to that but them. However, I don’t believe for a second that either one was a strict “vegan” their entire lives. If they were, again, they would be the exception because most of the ones I’ve seen don’t even look like they lift weights compared to those who do eat meat. Maybe they ate a TON of eggs and drank gallons of milk to compensate. That is about the only way I would believe it. For most people trying to gain size, I sure as hell wouldn’t recommend that route.

Someone mentioned “Proteinpowda” from this website and I am not sure he was a strict “vegan” either.

I believe Pearl didn’t become a vegetarian until his thirties.

Indeed, Pearl didn’t become a vegetarian until the mid 1960s, by which time he had already won Mr. America and Mr. Universe. To clarify, also, he was never a vegan. He was a lacto-ovo vegetarian, meaning he ate milk products and eggs. And he himself says that not eating meat made it harder for him to put on additional mass.

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Some of you guys who keep suggesting eggs must have missed the part of his post where he says he can’t eat eggs.

[/quote]

Eat more eggs.