Vegetarian Bodybuilding

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:

[quote]young n wrote:
fuck im too late to say to the OP that you dont want to fuck with BONEZ! point blank period!

anyways “bro” you really need to hit the kitchen harder than the weight room, and if your trying to gain weight cut the cardio, err i mean HIIT, you want to gain weight, fuck the HIIT

also the diet that you provided, (which seems like you rounded up on for cals for every meal that you ate) it only totals EXACTLY 2000 CALORIES!!! if your 6’1" and about 200lb you need to fucking eat, and fucking doing all those curls and flys, if your able to do 5 sets of machine presses and 5 sets of bench presses then your not fucking working hard enough seems like your working more for fat loss or something shit like that, all you need is more compound movements

and listen to BONEZ keep growing “bro”[/quote]

Haha, no cardio?? I mean Im tryin to bulk up and all but I still wanna be athletic.

By fuckin eat you mean??? Like Im totaly all for chowing down, I just aint sure what is proper “building food”

And I didnt start shit with BONEZ, he basically called me a retard so I took offense. First post ever, you woulda done the same
[/quote]

There’s a reason I didn’t respond to your back handed attempt at an apologetic PM. I’d prefer it if you didn’t mention my username in your posts. I don’t actually care what anyone else does either so dont go there please.
[/quote]

Fair enough bro, and it wasnt an apology, I didnt wrong you, we had an argument, I tried to end it. But consider your name withdrawn from my mouth…however you have quite the fan club, people keep rollin in to tell what a dumbass I am, so maybe call off the dogs and I wont have to defend myself[/quote]

You dont want me to get involved in this thread and correct every single point you’ve been wrong about already. Youre frail ego can’t handle that. Luckily I dont have that sort of time nor do I want to help you.

edit

I shouldnt speak for others

[/quote]You dont want me to get involved in this thread and correct every single point you’ve been wrong about already. Youre frail ego can’t handle that. Luckily I dont have that sort of time nor do I want to help you.

Too bad for you that Chris Collucci is likely done with you as well because of your reponses, he’s someone that most people here can learn from, myself included.
[/quote]

Admittedly I jumped to the conclusion that you were just some guy who didnt know what you were talking about, obviously I was mistaken.

I hope not to burn any bridges considering I would love to use the resources on this site to up my knowledge, I would really call myself a fitness fanatic.

If you and Chris don’t want to help me thats cool, cant force anyone to do anything they dont want to.

to the OP you just fucked up with BONEZ, which means its all bad, anyways if you really are going to be a trainer and are heading into kinesologly then 2 years from now you will look back upon this thread and laugh,

and im not going to agrue about what your doing is wrong or right, if your trying to bulk then you really got to forget about this “functional training”, as soon as you say that nobody will take you seriously, im serious

look if you going to bulk then you will be putting some fat on, so just get that into your head, and as for bilking food; eggs, milk, protein powder, beans, lentils, veggies, nuts, peanut butter, rice, bread, pasta, all that good stuff, and you want to remain atheletic then just follow starting strength for 4-6 months after switch over to west side for skinny follks, but if you dont want to do that then just do cardio 2x a week with high intensity for no more that 30 mins with a 2:1 rest:work ratio

hope that helps

[quote]young n wrote:
to the OP you just fucked up with BONEZ, which means its all bad, anyways if you really are going to be a trainer and are heading into kinesologly then 2 years from now you will look back upon this thread and laugh,

and im not going to agrue about what your doing is wrong or right, if your trying to bulk then you really got to forget about this “functional training”, as soon as you say that nobody will take you seriously, im serious

look if you going to bulk then you will be putting some fat on, so just get that into your head, and as for bilking food; eggs, milk, protein powder, beans, lentils, veggies, nuts, peanut butter, rice, bread, pasta, all that good stuff, and you want to remain atheletic then just follow starting strength for 4-6 months after switch over to west side for skinny follks, but if you dont want to do that then just do cardio 2x a week with high intensity for no more that 30 mins with a 2:1 rest:work ratio

hope that helps[/quote]

It definitely helps…

I dont like the idea of gaining any fat (ladies love the abs) but Im for sure down to make sacrafices to gain more muscle.

And whats the deal with the OP is that me? and what is OP?

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote: . . . .
…however you have quite the fan club, people keep rollin in to tell what a dumbass I am, so maybe call off the dogs and I wont have to defend myself[/quote]

hahaha call off the dogs?!?!, i dont know if i should take that as an insult or what, but fuck it, BONEZ doesnt ahve to call dogs, the dude can hold his own, (if you havent noticed already)

and as for the fan club, hell BONEZ aint even my friend, (he aint under my friends list) but you got to give credit where its due, and the dude knows his shit,
hhhhmmmmmm why did MLK have followers or “fans?” casue he knew his shit, why does Charles Poliquin have “fans?” . . . . . im gon let you guess that 1,

o yea you already kinda fucked, but dont say shit to prof x, you dont wan to fuck it up with him

keep growing

yea OP is you

good luck

[quote]young n wrote:

…however you have quite the fan club, people keep rollin in to tell what a dumbass I am, so maybe call off the dogs and I wont have to defend myself[/quote]

hahaha call off the dogs?!?!, i dont know if i should take that as an insult or what, but fuck it, BONEZ doesnt ahve to call dogs, the dude can hold his own, (if you havent noticed already)

and as for the fan club, hell BONEZ aint even my friend, (he aint under my friends list) but you got to give credit where its due, and the dude knows his shit,
hhhhmmmmmm why did MLK have followers or “fans?” casue he knew his shit, why does Charles Poliquin have “fans?” . . . . . im gon let you guess that 1,

o yea you already kinda fucked, but dont say shit to prof x, you dont wan to fuck it up with him

keep growing[/quote]

fo sho fo sho, point taken

If you wanted to jump in traffic to get your HR up, we would call you a dumbass.

Doesn’t mean that we are part of a ‘Traffic Fan Club’

[quote]silverhydra wrote:

If you wanted to jump in traffic to get your HR up, we would call you a dumbass.

Doesn’t mean that we are part of a ‘Traffic Fan Club’[/quote]

Yeah… my bad but I have no idea what you just said, not down with the forum speak yet

OP (Russaldo). Just for your reference. I am 36 yrs old, 180 pounds and between 5’11 and 6’. I work at a desk most of the day but hit the gym 4 days a week (upper / lower split). NO cardio. I can maintain my weight at about 3000 calories a day.

You need to eat more!

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:

Yeah… my bad but I have no idea what you just said, not down with the forum speak yet[/quote]

HR = Heart Rate

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:

Yeah… my bad but I have no idea what you just said, not down with the forum speak yet[/quote]

HR = Heart Rate
[/quote]

haha, oh shit, now that whole thing makes sense

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Would you consider Pea Protein Isolate a complete protein? I am trying to eliminate my use of Whey Protein, as it has caused problems with my skin, but wanted to know what the best vegetarian substitute would be.[/quote]

Pea, hemp, and rice protein are pretty much the three most common, complete vegetarian protein supplements. Vegan coaches Jay Ferruggia and Mike Mahler both speak highly of rice protein, and it seems to be their primary protein supplement (followed by pea protein).

During my vegetarian/vegan diet, I used rice protein and found it chalky (texture-wise) but very light and easily digestible. I didn’t get around to trying pea protein, but I did have hemp milk (not hemp protein powder). It really does taste like rope, and I’ve heard the powdered form isn’t much better.

So yeah, for a non-dairy protein, rice would be my first choice, then pea. As far as their amino acid profiles, like any protein supplement (egg vs. milk vs. whey, etc.) there are highlights and lower points. The bottom line is that they are all complete, which means any would be fine to include as a supplement to your daily whole foods.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
Would you consider Pea Protein Isolate a complete protein? I am trying to eliminate my use of Whey Protein, as it has caused problems with my skin, but wanted to know what the best vegetarian substitute would be.[/quote]

Pea, hemp, and rice protein are pretty much the three most common, complete vegetarian protein supplements. Vegan coaches Jay Ferruggia and Mike Mahler both speak highly of rice protein, and it seems to be their primary protein supplement (followed by pea protein).

During my vegetarian/vegan diet, I used rice protein and found it chalky (texture-wise) but very light and easily digestible. I didn’t get around to trying pea protein, but I did have hemp milk (not hemp protein powder). It really does taste like rope, and I’ve heard the powdered form isn’t much better.

So yeah, for a non-dairy protein, rice would be my first choice, then pea. As far as their amino acid profiles, like any protein supplement (egg vs. milk vs. whey, etc.) there are highlights and lower points. The bottom line is that they are all complete, which means any would be fine to include as a supplement to your daily whole foods.[/quote]

Just a quick not for the case of hemp protein. It does contain all the essential amino acids. I know some vegan fitness buffs that swear by the stuff, they always say its better than whey.

EDIT: But yes they both say it tastes terrible, but they also said in a few months you get used to it.

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:
7:00am-20 mins of HIIT cardio (followed by 20g of whey powder and greens powder)[/quote]

This is great for fat loss, but sucks when you’re trying to gain weight. I know you want to stay athletic, but you’d be better off if you tacked on 15-20 minutes of non-HIIT cardio (high incline treadmill walking, maybe) immediately after your weight training 2-3 days per week.

This is a snack, not breakfast. The old saying “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is doubly true when we’re talking about gaining muscular weight.

As someone else alluded to, pre-contest bodybuilders don’t eat egg yolks. You should.

Missed opportunity to add a protein source. Even a protein with 20-ish grams of protein would b great to add here.

Thumbs up here.

10 minutes of ab training will do what? I like that you’re having a decent sized “meal” at the end of the day though. Side note - What kind of protein bar has 30g protein, 6g carbs, and 28g fat?

For some general mass gaining ideas, take a look at these articles:

Those are all pretty much on the same page, and should help you straighten out the “what, when, and how much” of daily eating.

Regarding your training…

First off, I really like that you’re having a protein shake mid-session. You’d be even better off if you had some carbs along with it. Peri-workout nutrition (what you eat right around your training) can have a huge impact on your results. That’s what the Anaconda Protocol is all about, for example.

As for your actual workout, yeesh. That’s a lot of biceps work, and the chest training needs mucho improvement too. Way, way, way too repetitive with the exercise selections. Straight out of Fiction Fitness magazine.

This, plus what you’ve been told by that knucklehead about avoiding barbells, lets me think that you’d be better off scrapping whatever program you’re on and going balls out on a much better plan.

Check out Dr. Clay’s Blending Size and Strength:

Joe DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards:

Or even Starting Strength, as someone else suggested:

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide

Any of those will force you to train smart and hard, which, combined with plenty of food, will send you in the right direction.

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:
7:00am-20 mins of HIIT cardio (followed by 20g of whey powder and greens powder)[/quote]

This is great for fat loss, but sucks when you’re trying to gain weight. I know you want to stay athletic, but you’d be better off if you tacked on 15-20 minutes of non-HIIT cardio (high incline treadmill walking, maybe) immediately after your weight training 2-3 days per week.

This is a snack, not breakfast. The old saying “breakfast is the most important meal of the day” is doubly true when we’re talking about gaining muscular weight.

As someone else alluded to, pre-contest bodybuilders don’t eat egg yolks. You should.

Missed opportunity to add a protein source. Even a protein with 20-ish grams of protein would b great to add here.

Thumbs up here.

10 minutes of ab training will do what? I like that you’re having a decent sized “meal” at the end of the day though. Side note - What kind of protein bar has 30g protein, 6g carbs, and 28g fat?

For some general mass gaining ideas, take a look at these articles:

Those are all pretty much on the same page, and should help you straighten out the “what, when, and how much” of daily eating.

Regarding your training…

First off, I really like that you’re having a protein shake mid-session. You’d be even better off if you had some carbs along with it. Peri-workout nutrition (what you eat right around your training) can have a huge impact on your results. That’s what the Anaconda Protocol is all about, for example.

As for your actual workout, yeesh. That’s a lot of biceps work, and the chest training needs mucho improvement too. Way, way, way too repetitive with the exercise selections. Straight out of Fiction Fitness magazine.

This, plus what you’ve been told by that knucklehead about avoiding barbells, lets me think that you’d be better off scrapping whatever program you’re on and going balls out on a much better plan.

Check out Dr. Clay’s Blending Size and Strength:

Joe DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards:

Or even Starting Strength, as someone else suggested:

http://tnation.tmuscle.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/starting_strength_the_guide

Any of those will force you to train smart and hard, which, combined with plenty of food, will send you in the right direction.[/quote]

Well first of all thanks a ton for the advice

I will start eating more most definitely, its good to know I can eat eggs and milk and things of that nature, cant wait to eat cereal again!

I checked out those articles and the workouts seem a lot smaller than the ones I do now. I usually time my rest periods between sets at 60 seconds. Is it safe to say that those other workouts are so intense I will not be able to time my rest periods?

And just to give you a heads up, Young Buck…

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:
My cardio and functional strength is probably much greater than a body builder whos been at it for the same amount of time as me

I dont like the idea of gaining any fat (ladies love the abs) but Im for sure down to make sacrafices to gain more muscle.[/quote]

This kind of mindset is not quite tolerated around here. “Functional strength” is a catchphrase and a joke. And it’s the quickest way to seem like a douche. On no alternate planet is your “functional strength” greater than a competitive bodybuilder’s.

And regarding the abs, a long-term plan (laying the foundation for serious muscle) will serve you much better than thinking short term just to score some high school cheerleader tail.

Oh really? Then how did that whole “yes dumbbells, no barbells” idea make it’s way into your training plan?

Bud, if you want to stick around this site and get useful info from experienced guys who’ve already done what you want to do, I suggest you stash the ego and cultivate an open mind.

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:
I checked out those articles and the workouts seem a lot smaller than the ones I do now. I usually time my rest periods between sets at 60 seconds. Is it safe to say that those other workouts are so intense I will not be able to time my rest periods? [/quote]

Great general rule for rest periods is to rest as much as you need to, but as little as you have to. So don’t necessarily try to rush into the next set, but if you feel ready to go after 30 seconds or so, don’t sit around just because it hasn’t been a full 60 seconds or whatever.

It’s not about how intense the workouts are exactly, but a heavy set of 5 squats will (or at least should) require more rest than a set of 12 overhead presses. You’ll figure a lot of it out as you go. Learn to listen to your body, and try pushing it whenever you can. Learn to work instinctively, not strictly by the clock.

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:
I’ve also heard about pea protein, but the one thing I do know, which I assume all of you do to, is that Soy protein is not good for men cuz of the estrogen levels, its ok on occasion because soy protein is really good for your heart, but too much and youll wake up with nut cancer and tits[/quote]

Sorry, research shows the phytoestrogens in Soy do not have that effect, and in some tissues oppose estrogen.

Don’t over simplify complex things…

And just to give you a heads up, Young Buck…

[quote]Russaldo13 wrote:
My cardio and functional strength is probably much greater than a body builder whos been at it for the same amount of time as me

I dont like the idea of gaining any fat (ladies love the abs) but Im for sure down to make sacrafices to gain more muscle.[/quote]

This kind of mindset is not quite tolerated around here. “Functional strength” is a catchphrase and a joke. And it’s the quickest way to seem like a douche. On no alternate planet is your “functional strength” greater than a competitive bodybuilder’s.

And regarding the abs, a long-term plan (laying the foundation for serious muscle) will serve you much better than thinking short term just to score some high school cheerleader tail.

Oh really? Then how did that whole “yes dumbbells, no barbells” idea make it’s way into your training plan?

Bud, if you want to stick around this site and get useful info from experienced guys who’ve already done what you want to do, I suggest you stash the ego and cultivate an open mind.[/quote]

I kinda picked that up over the past few days, the ego has gone into the toilet…for now haha.

And I guess the thing is I just really dont like people telling me what I dont know, there is a huge anti barbell argument (maxing out you can blow a shoulder, elbow, knee, pop a bicep) and with dumbells its more slow controlled movements which still do work your muscles and help you grow. But obviously as I have found out from doing research over the past few days, barbells and higher weights (along with apparently sacrificed from) do help you get bigger faster.