Vegetables in School Lunches

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]haas wrote:

[quote]kothreat wrote:
Why not give him a brown bag? It’s got to be cheaper as well.

[/quote]

My daughters school lunch costs 1.50 the only way a brown bag would be cheaper is if I don’t put anything in it.[/quote]

Turkey sandwich, a few carrot sticks, apple sauce. Less than $1.50.[/quote]

Can she have a drink?

I had great lunches, talk about gourmet. Some skirt steak grilled with onions, on some sourdough bread, along with some homemade pasta in a tupperware bowl. Man, no wonder I had such great lunch trades.

[quote]SmilingPolitely wrote:
every day"
Me: “That’s because Hunter’s mom is lazy and doesn’t love him enough to feed him good foods”[/quote]

I’m gonna remember that line for when I’m a parent…

I had a nice mix of Bagged lunches and Cafeteria. I would say 60-40 splith throghout my entire schooling. Also in Middle school a good buddies mom was one of the lunch ladys, and also in HS another good buddy’s mom was a lunchlady. We were given very generous portions. I think it was less that they were looking out for us though and more, they knew if we didn’t eat a lot at lunch there was a high probability of thier house being ransacked for food after school or practice.

My favorite school lunches were the turkey dinners. Shredded turkey mixed right in the gravy and poured over 2 huge scoops of mashed potatoes. OMG it was so friggin good. The pizza days were friggin embarrasing though. It was like one square of a little microwavable peice of shit bread with some cheese and sauce. Horrible.

V

[quote]haas wrote:

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]haas wrote:

[quote]kothreat wrote:
Why not give him a brown bag? It’s got to be cheaper as well.

[/quote]

My daughters school lunch costs 1.50 the only way a brown bag would be cheaper is if I don’t put anything in it.[/quote]

Turkey sandwich, a few carrot sticks, apple sauce. Less than $1.50.[/quote]

Can she have a drink?[/quote]

If she behaves.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Hallowed wrote:
My mom packed our lunches. They were crappy but healthy. Damn Hippie.[/quote]

x2

At the time, I was embarrassed to go to school with a chicken drumstick and apple in my lunch bag. I wasn’t even allowed the dime to buy ice cream like all the other kids.

But now I’m happy my mom was such a stickler. My teeth are fucking perfect. [/quote]

Interesting that you say that. My dentist ALWAYS compliments my teeth (I’m 34 and I’ve only had one cavity when I was about 20). He says its because I didn’t drink soda when I was little (God knows I’ve drank my share of diet soda as an adult)

i brought my lunch from home almost all the time; i bought lunch maybe once a month. i would normally just have leftovers from last night’s dinner made into some kind of huge sammich with a side of whatever other leftover i found in the fridge.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
I had great lunches, talk about gourmet. Some skirt steak grilled with onions, on some sourdough bread, along with some homemade pasta in a tupperware bowl. Man, no wonder I had such great lunch trades. [/quote]

Hellz yeah! I was stylin’ with my original metal “Battlestar Gallactica” lunch box!

I think I had homemade PB&J or tuna every day from garde 1 to 12.

Except when I lived in England, and in Exeter we had school lunch.

The smell of green beans slowly boiling still haunts me. And the horror of custard with a skin on it…that the other kids seemed to love.

In elementary school, I hated school lunch so much that I started to bring my own food. One small sandwich with only one piece of bread and a few slices of meat a day up until 8th grade when I realized that I stayed at the same weight for 3 years and that I was smaller than the thinnest girls. Then I began packing a big sandwich and sometimes orange juice and random vegetables. By 11th and 12th grade, my sandwiches increased to 1 lb and vegetables increased to 2 pounds. Now at university, I either cook 6 egg and oatmeal or eat at restaurants.

No one has mentioned Ellio’s Pizza??? that was the shit at least until high school

[quote]cct wrote:
In elementary school, I hated school lunch so much that I started to bring my own food. One small sandwich with only one piece of bread and a few slices of meat a day up until 8th grade when I realized that I stayed at the same weight for 3 years and that I was smaller than the thinnest girls. Then I began packing a big sandwich and sometimes orange juice and random vegetables. By 11th and 12th grade, my sandwiches increased to 1 lb and vegetables increased to 2 pounds. Now at university, I either cook 6 egg and oatmeal or eat at restaurants.[/quote]

Bro, you need to eat more. Plate of eggs (12-15 eggs) and a plate split with bacon and biscuits & gravy. Oh and for a treat, I’ll have a Full Breakfast.

Oh and pickled eggs through out the day.