T Nation

Vegetable Question

I finally ate my first one pound bag of broccoli, half a pound yesterday, and half a pound just a minute ago. I took mod laurie’s advice, and used olive oil, two table spoons. I have made a commitment to eat less taters and noodles and eat some of these fruits and vegetables. I am getting to the point where if I gain too much more fat, I will become a disgusting fatbody, so I thought maybe I could loose a bit of fat if I switched the source of carbs. My ignorant question is am I negating any benefits of eating broccoli by drenching it in olive oil? I put about 240 calories worth of olive oil on it, (2 tbps) which makes it around a 300 calorie snack, counting broccoli carbs.

Nahhh, your right on track man. I wouldn’t be eating a half lb though. haaaa. Thats a lot. Let’s see here 1st your reducing starchy carbs, which will help in fat loss, 2nd your getting important nutrients that your body needs, 3rd brocilli and olive isn’t a snack, 4th your taking up room in your stomach to prevent you from eating other shyt, and thats all I can think of for now PeAcE.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
I finally ate my first one pound bag of broccoli, half a pound yesterday, and half a pound just a minute ago. I took mod laurie’s advice, and used olive oil, two table spoons. I have made a commitment to eat less taters and noodles and eat some of these fruits and vegetables. I am getting to the point where if I gain too much more fat, I will become a disgusting fatbody, so I thought maybe I could loose a bit of fat if I switched the source of carbs. My ignorant question is am I negating any benefits of eating broccoli by drenching it in olive oil? I put about 240 calories worth of olive oil on it, (2 tbps) which makes it around a 300 calorie snack, counting broccoli carbs.

May I suggest some Beano…you are going to have gas like Exxon-Mobile…

[/quote]

As shocking as it is, I digest food really well, I didn’t get gas from the first half pound, probably not from the second. It could be a drink a pot of coffee every morning, which loosens up my stools good.

It seems like the more fruits and veggies I eat, the more I want macaroni and cheese, hamburger helper, cheese dip, and fried chicken. I am eating a lot of fruit, which I know is higher in calories, but its better then ramen noodles.

[quote]Champr23 wrote:
Nahhh, your right on track man. I wouldn’t be eating a half lb though. haaaa. Thats a lot. Let’s see here 1st your reducing starchy carbs, which will help in fat loss, 2nd your getting important nutrients that your body needs, 3rd brocilli and olive isn’t a snack, 4th your taking up room in your stomach to prevent you from eating other shyt, and thats all I can think of for now PeAcE.[/quote]

Plus olive oil is a great source of goopd healthy fat your doing your self a favor. That is still less calories and many times the nutrients of one tater with nothing on it.

There’s a reason it’s called “natures broom”… good for your inards but eating that much could be hazardous if you’re near naked flames.

As for the oil, I’m sure I read in one of these threads that a trainer actually recommended his trainees sip olive oil throughout the day.

If nothing else, you won’t squeak :slight_smile:

(Try putting flax seeds on your breakfast and see what happens to those stools, you won’t need the coffee.)

[quote]BarneyFife wrote:
MODOK wrote:
BarneyFife wrote:
I finally ate my first one pound bag of broccoli, half a pound yesterday, and half a pound just a minute ago. I took mod laurie’s advice, and used olive oil, two table spoons. I have made a commitment to eat less taters and noodles and eat some of these fruits and vegetables. I am getting to the point where if I gain too much more fat, I will become a disgusting fatbody, so I thought maybe I could loose a bit of fat if I switched the source of carbs. My ignorant question is am I negating any benefits of eating broccoli by drenching it in olive oil? I put about 240 calories worth of olive oil on it, (2 tbps) which makes it around a 300 calorie snack, counting broccoli carbs.

May I suggest some Beano…you are going to have gas like Exxon-Mobile…

As shocking as it is, I digest food really well, I didn’t get gas from the first half pound, probably not from the second. It could be a drink a pot of coffee every morning, which loosens up my stools good.

It seems like the more fruits and veggies I eat, the more I want macaroni and cheese, hamburger helper, cheese dip, and fried chicken. I am eating a lot of fruit, which I know is higher in calories, but its better then ramen noodles.
[/quote]

Fife, just keep on eating em. It will become a habit and then it’s natural and the crap food won’t be as appealing. I used to abhor eating fruit like apples and most vegetables. Now I have to have at least one apple per day if not two and broccoli or green beans with my protein daily.

Good luck,

D

I think your posts are hilarious!

Oils should always be put on any vegetables, there are several studies that show the oils unlock the nutrients especially carientoids.