Vegetable Intake

I read a lot of articles that recommend 5-6 servings of vegetables a day. Invariably there will be a sample meal plan at the bottom of the same article with only 2-3 servings of vegetables. WTF?

It makes me wonder if:

(1) it’s realistic to eat 5-6 servings of veggies a day?

(2) it’s necessary to eat 5-6 servings of veggies a day?

(3) a serving of Greens+, or the like, can be counted as one of the servings?

I dunno…2-3 servings of veggies has been about as much as I can stay consistent in my meal plans. How about y’all?

Yes its easy and adviseable. thing is to look what a “serving” is. It is VERY small 1 cup or so and usually anytime I have veggies say broccili. its at least a few serves.

I have the opposite problem where I’m a vegetable-a-holic. I can go days only eating veggies, mostly salads, plain raw mushrooms, sauteed string beans, plain raw snow peas.

It is healthy to get into the veggie habit. I know a lot of people don’t like em, but if you prepare them well, they can be better than any sanwich, candy, pasta dish.

Try this sometime for a meal: A salad with all kinds of veggies (raw baby greens, raw spinach, tomatoes, steamed and cooled green beans, steamed and cooled broccoli), some kind of dried fruit (golden raisins or craisins) or fresh fruit (chopped apples, pears or grapes), a toss of raw nuts (raw almonds, raw pumpkin seeds, raw unsweetened coconut or the like), small amount of some kind of cheese (gorgonzola, bleu or lowfat sharp cheddar), a handful of Flax Seeds, and a chopped-up protein source (chicken breast, hard boiled egg whites, lean ground beef seasoned with fajita seasoning, chopped grilled tuna steaks, chopped grilled pork tenderloin chops). Now toss with olive or flax oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic salt and pepper. The combination of flavors- sweet, salty, pungent, protein, sour; and the mixture of raw and cooked vegetables may change your mind about vegetables.

I include:

Meal 1 - cup of raw carrots
Meal 2 - .5 cup each of mushrooms, peppers, and tomato
Meal 3 - 3 cups of broccoli
Meals 4 and 5 - 1.5 cups spinach each
Meal 6 - 2 cups broccolli

NH-Watts

I think that’s actually 5-6 total servings of fruits and vegetables. Do the menus in question maybe have something like 2-3 servings of fruit and 2-3 of vegetables?

Yeah, it said 5-6 servings of veggies.

Thanks for the advice everybody. Actually, I am getting to like vegetables a lot more than I used to. Especially, broccoli, spinach and salad.

[quote]chinadoll wrote:
I have the opposite problem where I’m a vegetable-a-holic. I can go days only eating veggies, mostly salads, plain raw mushrooms, sauteed string beans, plain raw snow peas.

It is healthy to get into the veggie habit. I know a lot of people don’t like em, but if you prepare them well, they can be better than any sanwich, candy, pasta dish.

Try this sometime for a meal: A salad with all kinds of veggies (raw baby greens, raw spinach, tomatoes, steamed and cooled green beans, steamed and cooled broccoli), some kind of dried fruit (golden raisins or craisins) or fresh fruit (chopped apples, pears or grapes), a toss of raw nuts (raw almonds, raw pumpkin seeds, raw unsweetened coconut or the like), small amount of some kind of cheese (gorgonzola, bleu or lowfat sharp cheddar), a handful of Flax Seeds, and a chopped-up protein source (chicken breast, hard boiled egg whites, lean ground beef seasoned with fajita seasoning, chopped grilled tuna steaks, chopped grilled pork tenderloin chops). Now toss with olive or flax oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic salt and pepper. The combination of flavors- sweet, salty, pungent, protein, sour; and the mixture of raw and cooked vegetables may change your mind about vegetables.[/quote]

Hell yeah that sounds good, ill definitely try it :slight_smile: