Vegas Shooter Kills 50+

Effective:

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-usa-today-homicides-20180219-story.html
http://www.politicit.com/ranking-states-with-the-strictest-gun-laws/

And how many of these Guerrilla forces have actually beaten a professional army without outside help? You are part of these rebel forces. The town a few miles from you had its rebels and it was completely destroyed, Mongol style. What do you do?

2 Likes

It’s def the guns…

That goes both ways. How many Americans will fly a white flag if they lose their internet?

This really doesn’t address the issue of mass shootings. We are talking about keeping guns from crazy people.

I don’t see how that makes any point.

A severely limited ability to communicate would be a pretty big problem for any/either side, I would think.

Every single regime change in China’s history has been by popular uprising. They’ve never been conquered by a foreign enemy. So the most populace country on earth a few dozen times… good enough?

Especially when you can’t log onto Facebook.

The feds would control communication, money, fuel, etc. Good luck!

The reality is that the American people have already been defeated by the government.

Aaaaand they did so with all of their privately owned gun stockpiles…?

And what about now? Tienanmen Square showed how far the government and its troops will go.

Japan? The Mongols?

Not nearly good enough.

Why wouldn’t the get outside help? I would expect them get outside help.

retreat, reorganize, live to fight another day.

Well, many of these are included in “mass shootings” and we aren’t just talking about keeping guns from crazy people.

Kids, just days after a mass casualty event, are joking about it on the internet. It points out there is a deep-seated cultural problem in the US that has nothing at all to do with the availability of firearms, particularly for those under a certain age.

This is probably true, unfortunately.

And who is helping the American guerrillas? Mexico?

With your children and elderly in tow.

Since this thread was originally about Vegas and now Parkland, I thought we were.

Less than a half dozen kids out of how many? There were adults who thought we deserved 9/11.

Yes, and the availability of guns doesn’t help things when we have a nation that is very good at creating the types of people who commit these mass murders. I don’t believe in a gun ban but I would probably support measures that would keep these people from arming themselves combined with some action to address why we have these crazy people in the first place.

We’re going way deeper into this rabbit hole than I really want to go.

Well, I’m not going to leave them…

I thought we were talking about control legislation among other things?

How many haven’t been reported? How many memes are already floating around about the shooting?

Are you trying to make my point for me?

And I’m perfectly fine with legislation that attempts to keep guns out of the hands of these types of people IF it doesn’t also keep them out of the hands of law-abiding citizens.

Imo, you have to address the underlying cause of the insanity otherwise legislation to further control firearms is a moot point. Maybe it cuts down mass-shootings, but I seriously doubt it cuts down on mass-casualty events, which, IMO, should be the goal.

The thread has moved well beyond this by now, but thanks for sharing your experience.

I don’t really anticipate any trouble from my FIL - for one, my MIL would have his ass, and his two daughters are the light of his world and he’s been looking forward to grandkids for a long time, so he’s not going to rock the boat if they said “Dad, for real, that can’t be anywhere near the kids.”

I honestly think it’s more of an “I’m-retired-and-need-some-hobbies” thing (despite the “home defense” justification, I think he just wants to go shooting with some of his buddies once in a while and it makes him feel more like part of the gang to have his own hardware). He’s also really into nature photography, and he gets really psyched whenever he gets a new piece of gear for that as well.

But anyways, like you guys said, getting him a training course and an appropriate safe would be a good gift. I’ll look into that stuff.

That addresses mass shootings.

Reported by whom? I don’t judge the US by memes anymore than I judge what liberals believe based on some fringe element being ambushed by Tucker Carlson.

No. I’m saying does that opinion held by adult Americans represent the majority or even a large minority?

And these points which we agree on should be the focus of our elected leaders who volunteered themselves to be our leaders based on their supposed ability to come up with ideas and well, lead. I think most Americans agree with us on these points but government is full of shills and cowards who couldn’t get real jobs with real accountability.

That’s not what everyone has been talking about.

Family members, friends, etc…

I’m not judging the US. I’m simply proving examples of the cultural issue(s) we’ve been talking about that plague the US. Examples that can help illuminate the root cause of the problem.

See above. Has nothing to do with minority/majority opinion.

Oh, man, I had forgotten about that story til this post.

That story is what has people like myself (who is admittedly not a gun owner nor very well-versed in laws of gun ownership) and those further on the bleeding-heart-liberal side of the spectrum in the camp that says “Look, I don’t know much about guns, but I can’t believe that there’s literally NOTHING we can do other than maintain the status quo, which clearly allows unstable people to get their hands on things that can kill and use them to do bad stuff a little too easily.”

I don’t think carbidius earlier suggestion of “3 references” is ultimately workable, but it’s the sort of creative thinking that we need. If we’re not going to actually ban/restrict the actual weapons themselves, there has to be some other thing that we can do/try, right?

Well Adam Lanza’s mother provided him with weapons and training so I wouldn’t expect family to rat out one another if someone just made a seemingly offhand comment. But public threats are reported.

I think we need to separate the crazy from the stupid. Although they both might be symptoms of the same problem.