Vegas Shooter Kills 50+

Where are you going to get this gun illegally? Also, illegal guns are not exactly cheap.

I would bet that most Americans would side with the tyrannical government rather than fight it.

2 Likes

The government destroys one town and the rest will fall in line.

Maybe. I certainly don’t know and neither do you.

I still believe in American exceptionalism. We don’t really have a history of just lying down. Who knows. Maybe that’s wishful thinking today.

1 Like

Yes. well so would everyone else. You’d be surprised how little actual support you need to institute “tyranny”, especially if you do it incrementally. Most of the people would be too busy with their daily lives to notice.

Why would they even destroy a town? It’s so passe.

For example, the Chinese allow all sorts of anti-government proclamations on social media - rants, viral posts etc. They intervene only when someone proposes a concrete plan of action in the physical world - a protest or a boycott, for example.

People get to feel good about themselves with their slacktivism and likes and the authoritarian regime continues unimpeded.

So Huxley was much closer to the mark with his Brave New World than Orwell…

1 Like

Oh boy! I’ve gotten the riot act read to me on this subject before by some true internet badasses!

Personally-I’m very cautious about this, and act very quickly and decisively. My bro in law is an avid hunter, all seasons. We were at their place up in the mountains and to my previous knowledge, he kept all of his guns in lock up, and one in the home office for security. So in a rush to get back from a hunting trip and off to another job site, he dumped a bunch of his hunting gear on the floor and split. In that was a 12 gauge that I found my son and his little cuz playing with (at 3yrs old). I called them over then retrieved it, and had a few words with my sis in law, who was mortified as she saw me walking out of the living room with it. I took the kids out to play while she swept the house and all was well. Later received apology and assurance from my BIL that that would never happen again. But word gets around. My father in law got wind and decided to create an impasse. Last time we were there and he got sufficiently liquored up he says “Hey, so I hear you don’t like guns in the house with kids.”. I tell him that I’d prefer that they be put safely away, but hey, owners choice. He tells me that his .22 is right around the corner and thats where it is staying. Called the kiddo in, told the wife to get her shit, and off we went. Last we’ve heard of them.

I, like BG, definitely advocate the use of any of the modern and convenient safe options along with adequate training and practice on the owners part. I don’t believe kids have any concrete knowledge of the types of consequences that occur from mishandled fire arms, my own personal and exceptionally bad experience aside.

5 Likes

It’s not tyrannical if you’re part of it. Meaning tyranny is a matter of perception.

1 Like

No militias marched on NYC to fight stop and frisk.

1 Like

Exactly. And a myriad of other things.

TSA for example is a prime example how quickly we get used to draconian measures.

Yes. All it would take is for the US to suffer a depression level event again. If the dollar ceases to be the world’s reserve currency, look out. Zimbabwe level inflation could happen in our lifetimes. China has 1 Billion people and they actually make stuff. Eventually their economy will dominate the entire world.

The US isn’t Rome. We won’t be the lone super power much longer.

Of course it is, that’s complete nonsense. You’re just the one being the dick.

Plenty of kids think their parents are tyrants.

Rome was never a lone superpower.

Okay…

But it’s the kids who are dicks.

Imo tyranny vs not tyranny is a matter of the winner. History never really remembers the loser. Both sides think they’re right and the winner gets to write the book.

Do tyrants think they are tyrants or do they think they are right?

With 3.It could be a deterrent, but living in a state with a similar law I can tell you it’s a minor one. Most person to person sales still go on without background checks. Better is ok, but we still end up with a school shooting in the hypothetical.

Meh, not really. Was Mao a tyrant? How about Lenin? Castro? Ho Chi Min? I mean they won.

Libertarians think that because of the .0000001% chance the government will turn on its people, they need access to military grade weaponry and gear.

2 Likes