Vegas Shooter Kills 50+

Not a realistic scenario from what I’ve read. Movies tend to humanize AI, it wouldn’t kill us out of spite. The paperclip scenario where we are harvested for our atoms? Not impossible and something we need to be careful of.

A lot of times its hard to talk about because the concept of a singularity is really hard to wrap your head around. There are some good books on the topic but on the blog waitbutwhy there is a really good AI post that could get you started (sorry, can’t link to blogs on work computer).

Edit: from google:

Edit 2: There is also a huge ethical implication depending on if AI is conscious or not, or how we would even know. It gets really philisophical when thinking about that, but we could be creating a god-like mind that is just as conscious (or more depending on your definition) than a human. Do we enslave the god for our safety?

2 Likes

Is that so? Was it the will of “society” when alcohol prohibition was past? Do cocaine users not belong to society? What proportion of society support the law in question? oppose it? are indifferent? Will of society … I think you have an odd inflated sense of legislators and legislation

That’s what I said … it’s literally what you quoted me saying … sorry you’re reading comprehension failed you in this instance…

Society wills it … bruh, I can’t even with that statement … lol

I would suggest to him that he take a gun safety course (maybe take it with him). As it relates to the thread, I wouldn’t even be opposed to requiring a national safety course. Just not a pass/fail one.

1 Like

Shiiiit, that’s when it starts getting interesting … maybe we should brainstorm ideas for a sci-fi book

Absolutely. Just like it was the will of society when prohibition was repealed.

Sure they do. If they want cocaine to be legalized ala alcohol I’d imagine the avenue to that would be drum up support similarly to how weed advocates did.

Not sure. But if they oppose it they sure have a funny way of showing it.

You said

Except I have plenty of knowledge to it’s effects, they’re just not first-hand. Similarly, I have plenty of knowledge that walking in front of a speeding semi will typically cause death, yet I have no first-hand experience with it.

Reading comprehension sure got somebody, but I don’t feel like it was me.

They make safes for long guns and hand guns that can be opened via fingerprints. They plug into the wall and have battery backup. The fingerprint scanners are backlit on the better models so you can find them in the dark. They have holes to be lag bolted into the floor/wall/night stand drawer. My preferred place for them is in a clothes closet, night stand or beside the bed bolted into the wall. They can remember like 5 sets of prints so he and your mother in law could get to it.

That is of course if I had any guns, which I dont. :wink:

Get that man training for his next birthday/Christmas. A weapon without training is a dangerous paper weight. I can suggest a very professional guy in Western PA if you like.

2 Likes

That’s actually a pretty good idea. They still live back on the Eastern side of the state (I’ve been out here awhile, but our roots are back that ways) but I can definitely figure something out. He’s not the type that’s real easy to buy things for, so that would be great.

1 Like

With such a wishy washy will of society, you understand my skepticism - again, I do not agree…

REAL knowledge … experience with it - sorry if that wasn’t clear … I guess I overestimated your ability to comprehend … no harm no foul

Well society is made up of people. People’s opinions change on a moment’s notice. I’d be confused if someone said the will of society wasn’t wishy washy.

Lol sorry next time I’ll just presume your words mean something other than what they say and we can avoid this sillyness

If you’re saying you can’t have real knowledge without first-hand experience, we’ve definitely reached agree to disagree territory.

Have a good one

I think it’s been “the will of society” to pass stricter gun laws for some time…

…but, here we are?

Where do lobbyist fit into the whole “will of society” point?

Hard to tell, given that people don’t prioritize it high enough to have a widescale impact on their voting havits.

Society allows the lobby industry to flourish, does it not? Seems like if society has a true problem with lobbyists, like gun regs, they’re really bad at prioritizing it.

Good, so we agree that Cocaine was outlawed in a way that may not have agreed with what most Americans wanted, and it was probably heavily influenced by lobbyists etc. And really didn’t have shit to do with any of its benefits or detriments (to anyone besides the lobbyists).

I was under the impression that by saying “will of society” it meant that a “majority of citizens in that society”.

So if we go back and replace your “will of society” with “lobbyists” it all makes more sense. That’s very sneaky of you, one sounds good to the ear, the other does not!

If most Americans didn’t want cocaine to be illegal, they’ve sure got a funny way of showing it. Given how quickly prohibition ended, I can’t help but feel that if society thinks cocaine should be legal they’re really really bad at voicing it.

I never hear anybody talking about legalizing cocaine apart from Libertarians. Shit my aunt went to jail after getting addicted to cocaine and I’ve never even heard her say it should be legal.

Inaction is a choice just like action. I guess you could convert “will of society” into “will of the people who prioritized something enough to let it impact their vote” but it doesn’t exactly roll off the tongue.

Imo, when something (for example, the Patriot Act) that tends to have lobby esque power behind it get passed, I’d personally put it in the “inaction” category I mentioned above

The point is, laws shouldn’t be based on such wishy washy opinions … I’m sorry you disagree, but it’s evident now that you’d rather go with the whims of “society” rather than attempt any reasonable analysis of the issue. Have fun with that mindset, I’ll stick with my thinking critically about issues rather than defer to what you think society says ought to be…

My words weren’t archaic nor difficult to interpret. I can’t help you feel otherwise. Might I suggest shoring up your comprehension ability?

You too

You do know roughly 100 million people own guns in the US? Given the number of children included in our population of 325 million, that’s a fair percentage of adults.

1 Like

I agree. That’s why above I said we shouldn’t be proactive about creating laws because we’re at the mercy of what I consider to be a really stupid set of people.

I never said that’s how laws SHOULD be passed. Said it’s how laws ARE passed. In a perfect world, society thinks about something critically before deciding on it. Unfortunately that’s rarely the case.

Sure. I’ll get right on that (oh the irony).

I think it’s funny that you think citizens are the ones who controlled prohibition. And they are also the ones to get weed legalized. That is really funny. I’m assuming you’ve never done a deep dive as to why weed was outlawed in the first place, I’ve done several.

How are Americans showing that they want cocaine to remain illegal? I don’t think I’ve ever heard a person say that they agree that cocaine should be illegal.

And please stop with this anecdotal stuff, your aunt?? Please, go to any AA meeting, you’ll get a majority saying that Alcohol should be illegal again!

Our laws would be very different if they were truly controlled by citizens the way you allude.

roll a j, and cut a line, get back to us with some perspective.

1 Like

Not that I can tell. I would like to have a discussion, especially with other gun owners about what, if any further regulations would be acceptable. I would start another thread but I’m on duty and it’s truck check day.

About all your questions? I don’t know.

If you have issues with the way the word ‘redaction’ was used, or interpreted his comment as casting shade on NPR, then please consider the NPR part of the comment retracted. Those weren’t my words, so I’m only guessing about what he meant, and I didn’t interpret it in the same way you did. I certainly didn’t imagine that it would make you angry with me. Again. We’re talking past each other, or you’re looking for a fight where there isn’t one.

I smoke weed daily. I mean that literally. And it’s not even legal in Ohio lol. I haven’t gone a day without smoking weed since 2018 hit. I had a bit of a dry spell in 2017 when I was getting clean for a drug test, but meh.

Weed became illegal due to stupid masses and years of inaction. Sure there was some type of catalyst, but if you’re looking for a reason as to why its still illegal, it’s because people simply don’t care enough to let it sway their votes en masse.

By not saying otherwise? People want weed legal, so they make their voices heard. Is this happening re: cocaine that I’m not aware of?

LOL. Especially considering the above