Vegas Shooter Kills 50+

Equality and not inequality - everyone’s poor and they don’t know that something better exists. Idea of happiness is owning a cow (seriously).

However the massive growth of mobile and data networks in Africa means that even those people through the magic of internet began realizing that they’re living in shitholes which in turn affected their formerly happy disposition.

It’s hard to wrap your head around extreme poverty in world’s shitholes - challenges one’s ideas about “personal responsibility” and “life choices”

2 Likes

Any data to back up this empirical claim? Or are you just firing from the hip?

People that murder others are…crazy. Being deemed a danger to yourself or others can get you involuntarily committed. People that murder others have proven to be…a danger to others.

As for arms: that cat is out of the bag. We can’t get rid of the know-how that enables the creation of arms. They are here. The only thing we can do is make the situation more dangerous for law-abiding folks. That doesn’t seem like a good approach, if it’s safety we seek. It seems pretty good if control over others is the goal.

So that’ a ‘no’ on the data, then?

You hit the nail on the head in regard to quite a few of what I would describe as stereotypical left/right arguments. There is need to educate and train people with a sense of personal responsibility and making good life choices, but it’s also important to recognize that one can only take responsibility for what’s in his or her control and some choices available in Western countries simply aren’t available in other places. This is another one of those areas where lip service is paid on both sides of the political divide without much in the way of serious reflection.

There is another thread in which several were discussing that it’s not absolute poverty that is a cause of crime, but the disparity between extreme wealth and extreme poverty. I’m spitballing, but I wonder if global commutation will cause this to break down on the local scale due to extremes between countries.

Here is more info on Church shooter… Its NBC so cant be sure if its Fake news or not… Anhow though seems like he had a documented history of being a creep and violent dick to women, kids, and animals…

so with that said cant we all agree that people that hurt women, kids, and animals shoudnt get guns? I think thats a pretty sensible compromise

What kind of data are you looking for?

No argument from me

Published and peer-reviewed.

Don’t bother. It’s not like he has ever provided data for his claims.

Here:

Air Force failed to relay info that could have stopped firearm sale to gunman | CNN Politics

It’s a kink in the armor that shouldn’t exist. It’s always satisfying to be able to yell about grand solutions, but this is mind numbingly obvious and a glaring error.

Saw this earlier and I’m kinda torn on it. On one hand, this would be a great excuse to reinforce reporting events like this to stop them from getting guns legally. Put through universal background checks on all sales. This gets the Republicans a lot of public goodwill for enacting gun legislation while not really having to give up much in the way of legal gun sales.

Then one of my relatives chimed in on it and said “Asshole would have got the guns either way. Criminals don’t murder and draw the line at illegal guns.” While I understand the logic, imo sheer chance would mean a lot more of these events get stopped than they do now. But it reminded me that the talking point might force R’s hands because they can’t afford to lose the talking point.

1 Like

It is already illegal to own or possess a firearm if you have been convicted of domestic violence. Further legislation is useless in this regard.

From who? A bunch of people that won’t ever vote for them… If you’re talking from a political point of view this is a loss for the Right. They win on the gun control fight as it is, why the hell would they give it up, for nothing in return.

Now, if the dems would take suppressors off NFA and allow sale of post 1986 full auto (certainly can stay on NFA) I’d bet you’d have “universal background checks” by next tuesday.

BUt when it comes to “compromise” in gun control to Dem’s it’s a matter of “how much of your rights do you compromise to give up, while we give nothing in return.”

Which high profile shooting gets stopped by UBC’s?

It’s not a talking point. It’s our rights.

Property and 2nd.

2 Likes

Which doesn’t? We may not all agree on everything, but I think we can all agree that mass shooters hold the law in the highest regard and wouldn’t break it.

What if they just made it impossible for people with a violent conviction to buy & made the fines and penalties for selling to folks harsh? Ive learned a good bit here hearing the other side. Sounds like most owners aren’t doing anything wrong. Also another guy I think mentioned more training. If we had more screening so decent folks got guns & training to reduce accidents and maybe training for active shooters on wear and carry folks maybe we could cut down on these. I think mandatory training for wear and carry on active shooters might be a deterrent. People know they cant just get away with it.

Could just be the people I associate with, but everyone I know that has guns has taken firearm safety and tactical classes.

Additionally, Firearm safety is a requirement for CHLs in my state.

As an aside, most of the recent shootings have occurred in safe places where guns are prohibited.

Well, it is a political talking point, because big majorities support universal background checks. And UBC wouldn’t get struck down as unconstitutional.

2 Likes

Who says they wont? A ton of people voted for Trump that previously voted Dem. Would be a great way to cater to that crowd and show you’re willing to work with both sides.

They win? Every time there’s a mass shooting they get flooded with angry letters from Moms and various anti gun weirdos. It gets plastered on the news and all that jazz. How does one “win” the gun control fight?

Impossible to know. I’m also just talking about shootings in general, not necessarily only the high profile news worthy ones. UBCs catch people trying to buy guns when they aren’t allowed now. Statistically, unless one thinks murderers are exclusively smarter than the rest of the population re: avoiding detection, catching people like this would go up.

Sure it isn’t. That’s why Republicans keep using it as a talking point.

Something can be a talking point AND be your rights. It’s when you make a talking point about your rights.

And all of them have occurred in places where murder is illegal.

2 Likes