Vegas Shooter Kills 50+

psssssshhhh.

Relative poverty, poverty… That’s just pedantic phrasing arguments. Those aren’t worth the bandwidth!

:wink:

This guy I was sponsoring one time called me trite and pedantic.

I said 'My man, I ain’t the one that just relapsed on circuit board cleaner.".

5 Likes

A pedantic response. Lmao

2 Likes

So for some reason the word pedantic looked misspelled to me (I’ve been struggling with spelling today) and when you google the word

of or like a pedant.

THANKS GOOGLE, YOU DA BEST.

2 Likes

I don’t know what that means, but if that’s good, I’m that.

2 Likes

pedantic

adjective

1. hairsplitting, particular, formal, precise, fussy, picky (informal), nit-picking (informal), punctilious, priggish, pedagogic, anal retentive, overnice. all his pedantic quibbles about grammar
  2. academic, pompous, schoolmasterly, stilted, erudite, scholastic, didactic, bookish, abstruse, donnish, sententious. His lecture was pedantic and uninteresting.

adj.

1. ostentatious in one’s learning.
  2. overly concerned with minute details or formalisms,
  3. characterized by a narrow concern for book learning and formal rules, without knowledge or experience of practical matters.
3 Likes

Here’s a headscratcher: Is the word pedantic abstruse enough that its use qualifies as ostentatious?

7 Likes

I’m curious as to how one would go about intelligently discussing psychology, sociology, and/or constitutional law without being somewhat pedantic. My favorite though is an accusation of semantics when discussing law. To which the only proper response is, “it’s lexical semantics.”

1 Like

Welcome to everyday of my natural born life…

I also have a problem in that my vocabulary has quite a few words in it that I can’t pronounce correctly because I learned it from reading, and those little “helper” things in dictionaries are like reading Dutch to me…

lol

I’d say it depends on intent, so your guess is as good as mine.

I hate those damn things. If they told me those stupid icons over the letters would be of significance maybe I would have paid more attention in French class.

1 Like

By making sure you only discuss those things with people who are intelligent. How do you not sound pedantic when talking to an idiot?

By speaking in terms they can understand - it’s a struggle my man. I work in business statistics and trying to explain what i do to my, well, almost anyone in my immediate life, i just say, I look at numbers and think I know what they mean…

1 Like

This is why I generally limit any political, religious, sociology, etc., discussions to the internet. If I get tired of talking to idiots, or sounding like an idiot myself, I can always just turn my computer off. It doesn’t work like that with my wife.

4 Likes

True story: I pronounced the word “caricature” wrong for, like, years before someone told me that I was saying it wrong.

2 Likes

I still to this day have no idea the right way to pronounce Nietzsche, or spell it for that matter.

Don’t get me started on Jaguar.

I read the words awry and chaos long before I heard them, and thus they are pronounced (in my head) ‘AW-ree’ and ‘CHAY-ose.’ To this day I have to consciously make myself same them correctly.

Had a friend who read the word horseshoe as ‘horses hoe.’

3 Likes

Had a med-school anatomy professor who pronounced jugular ‘JOO-gyew-ler.’ As he was/is an anatomy professor, I took it on faith this was an accepted alternative pronunciation.

See… I have no idea what sounds you’re trying to make there, lol.

Had a finance professor who would say “devil up” instead of develop. It would drive me insane. I was so irrationally bothered by it that I wouldn’t be able to concentrate on anything else for pretty long stretches of lecture after every time he said it.

I had to take him again in post grad, and went out of my way to make sure it was online, simply due to this reason.

2 Likes

hors-d’oeuvres - I read it as “horse ‘D’ overs” … I knew what hors-d’oeuvres were, but had never seen them spelled out and pronounced in context so I always envisioned them spelled as 'orderves or something … so my mind was blown when it finally made the connection

4 Likes