Vegas Shooter Kills 50+

I have no real problem with this.

1 Like

I actually lived in the inner city so it would be hard for me to pretend that I was from another planet and base my observations on peoples’ perception of what the inner cities are like. And this is why I object to the whole idea that all of these negative behaviors we see should be labelled as cultural or the products of culture.

But to humor you, I would notice that there were gangs and other criminals who form a minority within the community but have an influence on the day to day lives of people that is out of proportion to their numbers. And since they are in the minority I would say that they are not typical of most residents or hold the same values as most residents. So I would mention crime in my report but I would not say it was a product of inner city culture.

The crime you see is not because of inner city culture but the result of government, local through federal, that allows it to exist in the way that it does. In schools, which I know firsthand, you have a few kids whose behavior should be intolerable. Other kids will complain about how they can’t learn. When one of those kids is absent the kids will comment on how nice class was without them and when that kid returns it sucks the life out of the room. But thanks to the people (leftists) who run these schools these behaviors which impact everyone are tolerated. It’s next to impossible to expel kids. They will focus all the attention, and money, on saving those who can’t be saved at the expense of the kids who have a good chance of living productive lives. So people see test scores and see certain behaviors and assume that it is simply because of inner city culture. The kids can’t behave and they don’t want to learn. It’s really because the leftists allow the few terrible kids the right to define the school climate. The leftists also define these negative behaviors as cultural so as to make them critique proof. Example: teachers in training have been told to ignore vulgar language from kids because that kind of language is acceptable in their culture. And the people who say that would believe themselves to be the most non-racist people in the world.

I would say that we can’t ignore how society reacts to crime based on geography and/or race and/or socioeconomic status. Open a crackhouse in a suburb and see how long it will stay in business vs the inner city.

Also, the crime in the inner city does not exist in a vacuum. The guns that are sold illegally are not manufactured or even originally purchased there. The drugs are coming from outside the country. You have organized crime allowed an environment in which to do business as aggressively and openly as they want. People from the suburbs go to the inner cities to buy drugs. These things happen not because inner city culture, or let’s be more specific and say inner city residents, are allowing it or are fine with it. They happen because we are not willing as a nation to demand that inner city residents have the same right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness as everyone else.

Sorry if I missed it, but how would you label it?

This is a pretty powerful paragraph.

Because the thing is, all schools (race irrelevant) face the same type of student all the time, and the same “mean thug types”, but it somehow isn’t as disruptive and destructive. I suppose it would makes sense if it was the teachers and admin…

Sure but population density is important to keep in mind too.

Re: the crackhouse, I think they prefer meth in the sticks.

If you have 8m people packed into 8 sq miles, and 3500 people in 40sq miles, one group is going to be a lot easier to police than the other. I believe there is a decent body of evidence that shows whites do and sell drugs at similar rates to POC (if not more), but population and police resources make a difference too.

That statement doesn’t mean their isn’t some elements of bias involved here. Not what I’m saying.

Similar thing was(is) happening with the Mafia as with “Street Gangs” for lack of a better word. They are the same essential thing.

I want to get to this, but it’s too broad for my time allotment

I would call them what they are: negative behaviors. Not every behavior is influenced by culture. Unless we want to start using a term like micro-culture. So a kid who behaves poorly is the result of his home micro-culture. My problem is that once we start labeling everything as cultural it becomes off limits for criticism, to the leftists at least.

The hoops a school has to jump through to get a kid expelled make it so that no one wants to go through it. I am not lying when I say there are high school freshman aged 20 who are technically considered illiterate. The school will not kick them out until they are legally too old to be in school. And some of these schools combine junior high with high school so that 20 year old man is in school with 11 year old girls. What suburban school would tolerate things like that? The crazy thing is that the worst kids somehow manage to get the best legal defense, I assume paid by the state. No one is defending the rights of the good kids and their parents are not able to afford attorneys.

The lowest grade a student can get is a 50. So if a student should get a zero the teacher has to record a 50. This is done so that the kid will always have some chance to pass and the school’s dropout numbers will not look as bad. This isn’t inner city culture but the leftists who run the schools. They are the ones who create different standards for inner city kids when it comes to how poor behavior is handled. So if you want to say that inner city student behavior is cultural, fine, but it is because of leftist/neo-marxisy culture.

As I have been at pains to say several times, cultural issues (as I am using the term) are not “off limits.”

Out of curiosity: How would ‘rightists’ run the schools? And can you provide examples of rightist-run school systems that are reasonably equivalent to the inner-city leftist-run ones (eg, in terms of funding, single-parent households, median income, etc) so we can compare and contrast them?

Further, I presume hyper-leftist enclaves (I’m thinking San Francisco; I’m sure other examples abound) run their schools per leftist principles. If said principles are as inherently disastrous as you make them seem, shouldn’t their schools be tire-fires as well?

Speaking of the mafia: in Sicily the mafia does not exist as a product of Sicilian culture. It exists because historically the government has allowed criminals the ability to organize into groups and create a network as well as provide an environment in which it can operate. In fact, the mafia works with (sometimes even for) the government. A Sicilian criminal becomes a criminal not because he is Sicilian but for the same reasons anyone, anywhere becomes a criminal.

The only “Sicilians” I know who have some romanticized view of the mafia are American.

I’m not even reading about the good doctor anymore, that would be almost as much of a waste of time as your writing it. It is an absolutely useless story, whereas some might get something out of my Kentucky Rifle explanation.

You quoted the law, then you stated and I quote “but requires that those folks had to give up their own arms to help supply and be used by the militia.” Those are your words in post 663. I’ve asked you twice to point out where you got that bullshit from, even though I know the answer, you made it up. But I figured I would give you the chance.

Now, you’ve backed away from claiming that the law requires something that it doesn’t, but you’re claiming that the law doesn’t allow access to arms. Again, this law doesn’t allow or disallow anything. It clearly ASSUMES that all free men had access to them, and could provide them. Otherwise it would have simply been a tax and would have stated in the plain language that was the style at the time, “all free men exempt from service have to pay 6 pounds to be used for arming the militia.” If your talking about another law that limited free men’s access to arms why don’t you quote that one.

I said leftists say culture is off limits.

I don’t know or care how right wingers would run schools. I don’t want the left or right involved at all. We see what happens at colleges when administrators run things instead of professors.

And it’s quite possible, if not probable, that all schools under leftist influence are producing the identity politic snowflakes who go on to college or working at Starbucks. They are not gang members but they might just end up rock throwing spaghetti armed Antifa thugs.

I can say that my daughter’s school is not leftist (yet) nor right wing. They say the Pledge of Allegiance and she is reading Huck Finn. But the identity politicians are starting their infiltration.

I assume that you want my opinion on right wing schools because you think I am a conservative or right winger. I am not. I also am not a leftist. I am a liberal, as in I believe in the liberal values that have made western thought and culture what it is today. Beginning with the Ancient Greeks through Ancient Rome then the Renaissance in Italy to the Enlightenment and up to the Founding Fathers. But if you want to know what a right wing school looks like just read up on schools under Mussolini or Hitler. Interestingly, they weren’t too different from what leftists want today.

1 Like

I can’t find the exact article I read but your post reminds me of something I was reading about vouchers etc. This is similar

And I know Sowell has repeatedly banged the drum of black successes in the voucher program, but I can’t find any stats to back up his claim. (Not that I think he’s lying, just I know he’s a partisan so I should verify before using it as a source.)

3 Likes

Thank you for posting.

It always kinda blows my mind when I think about how much of human nature is centered around the passive need to get laid. At least this guy sounds super smart about it.

Edit: This is also my first time hearing of the Gini coefficient. This is legit science?

The Gini coefficient is legit, as is the relationship between inequality and crime. However, Peterson’s evolutionary-psych interpretation as to why this relationship exists is highly speculative.

1 Like

Yes. It’s simply a mathematical formula for calculating how much the distribution of an observed event differs from a straight horizontal line where all cases have the exact same value. Its most famous application is calculating income inequality but is also used in finance - credit scoring being the prime example.

Let me put it this way - think of any shithole in the world and see how they fit in the color scheme. Papua New Guinea, Colombia, South Africa, El Salvador…All crimson red.

Notice how Eastern Europe has a low Gini index, where even the poorest countries such as Ukraine have a surprisingly low levels of property and violent crime. Also, Japan is down on the list. Sure, there are outliers such as China but the correlation stands.

It’s possible, but from a layman’s standpoint as I’m able to discern this interpretation explains many cultural peculiarities around the world.

High levels of aggression (not necessarily crime) in Muslim countries being one of the examples. Also, there is the athlete/entertainer paradigm, where the men from a minority group (AAs in the US, ethnic/religious/language in other countries) have only a few options to climb the social ladder.

2 Likes

The chief criticism leveled against evolutionary psych is that it consists largely of Just So stories. As such, it is essentially entirely post hoc, which makes it very difficult to assess from a hypothesis-testing perspective. This sharply limits its appeal qua scientific theory. I think that other, more testable models should be evaluated and discarded before settling upon the untestable evolutionary psych-based explanations.

They used too. Heroin and opiate pills are WAY cheaper than meth now.

1 Like

Peterson has said a much in interviews I’ve seen with him. That it is significantly difficult to test.

Sort of seems like a fairly significant issue in Pysc in general.