T Nation

Vegan Bodybuilding

I’m sure some people can look decent off of such diets but most on this site http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/ look like sticks (and I say this as a stick myself).

If the really are a vegan and not a vegetarian that means no animal products either.

So no dairy, no protien powder except soy and wheat and such.

Why do they actually think that is healthy ? The human body was clearly designed to process meats and animal fats.

Good on them, I say.

Although we might not all agree on their ideology it does ultimately revolve around self-sacrifice for the preservation of life. I think that’s worthy of respect.

I must say, though, that a vegan bodybuilder certainly faces an uphill battle. Lots of beans and nuts, I would imagine.

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
I think that’s worthy of respect.

[/quote]

i’m glad you got the first post. perhaps that will set the mood for everyone else who reads this thread.

let me guess

average weight ~ 140 lbs ?

[quote]PimpBot5000 wrote:
Good on them, I say.

Although we might not all agree on their ideology it does ultimately revolve around self-sacrifice for the preservation of life. I think that’s worthy of respect.

I must say, though, that a vegan bodybuilder certainly faces an uphill battle. Lots of beans and nuts, I would imagine.
[/quote]

Totally, I agree. HOWEVER I know people though that say they eat vegan to be healthy not because of animal rights. OR say that they’re gonna start being vegan to be healthy, and i look at them sideways - and they are like “what”? Face Palm That is what I have a problem with. Some of em will eat like half a container of nutella in one sitting - but hey no animal products right? Double Face Palm

Being stupid is never worthy of respect. If they are right about it being the healthiest way to live their life then so be it, but just just because you choose to live in the dark ages because you can’t handle the conflicting morality of todays society doesn’t mean you deserve respect.

Thats like the losers in highschool saying I don’t want to be cool. YOU WERE NEVER COOL ANYWAY.

This world revolves around the give and take of life.

They do look like sticks though, I wonder how they heal and such, many meat eater turn veggie bodybuilders say they heal quicker just hard to put on and maintain weight.

Good for them. More meat for me.

I will try to be nice since I have been informed recently that I am incredibly offensive.

The physiques shown on that page were not very impressive, especially since I assume those are the best they had to offer.

One of the women looked extremely sloppy as well. Although, I’m sure many cultures would consider her very attractive so good for her.

It would be interesting to see the physiques of those who talk shit on them…

Granted, I do not agree with a Vegan lifestyle, but if you want to talk shit you should be able to back it up. So go ahead people, post your pictures and lets compare…

Actually, some of these vegan bodybuilders actually don’t look sickly, undernourished, and anorexic like a good amount of their creed. So, kudos to them!

[quote]MarvelGirl wrote:
I will try to be nice since I have been informed recently that I am incredibly offensive.

The physiques shown on that page were not very impressive, especially since I assume those are the best they had to offer.

One of the women looked extremely sloppy as well. Although, I’m sure many cultures would consider her very attractive so good for her.[/quote]

Well we obviously fall into the group of “sub-culture” and even normal people would not find them especially attractive.

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:
Actually, some of these vegan bodybuilders actually don’t look sickly, undernourished, and anorexic like a good amount of their creed. So, kudos to them![/quote]

True, there is a guy named Avi on there that looks like a beast with some respectable lifts…but the majority look icky.

[quote]spinach wrote:
Josh Rider wrote:
Actually, some of these vegan bodybuilders actually don’t look sickly, undernourished, and anorexic like a good amount of their creed. So, kudos to them!

True, there is a guy named Avi on there that looks like a beast with some respectable lifts…but the majority look icky. [/quote]

at 200lbs he appears to be the biggest of all of of them. I don’t think they look sickly just thin compared to meat eaters. I wonder how much of that did he get before he stopped eating meat.

I think veganism (word?) is just a cry for attention personally.

Everybody I know of like to just spout of why they are ‘vegan’ while I ate my steak.

Cool your different good for you…you wanna bodybuild you better learn to eat meat. lol

meant to be non-offensive and not directed to any one person in particular, but if anybody took it to the ass then so be it!

DG

I don’t think it’s necessarily a cry for attention; Peter Singer talked at my school, and I thought he gave valid reasons for not eating animal products, mainly that the satisfaction we derive from these products is not worth the pain we cause in raising animals to be eaten.

That reason I could understand, but not get behind. His better point I thought, was that eating meat is bad for the planet, since grain which could feed people is instead fed to cows. Producing meat is inefficient in terms of the input of energy/calories, vs. the output.

that said, I still eat meat etc. I need the protein.

[quote]Qualay wrote:
I don’t think it’s necessarily a cry for attention; Peter Singer talked at my school, and I thought he gave valid reasons for not eating animal products, mainly that the satisfaction we derive from these products is not worth the pain we cause in raising animals to be eaten.

That reason I could understand, but not get behind. His better point I thought, was that eating meat is bad for the planet, since grain which could feed people is instead fed to cows. Producing meat is inefficient in terms of the input of energy/calories, vs. the output.

that said, I still eat meat etc. I need the protein.[/quote]

I don’t even know who Peter Singer is.

I think it’s bullshit when they talk about how animals are raises. Yes some are raised in poor conditions but I’m from cattle country where the cows range on free land which gives them miles of space. Yea they are killed so I can get my Filet mignon on a hot date.

Glad you didn’t switch over because we do need the protein.

I still think it’s a cry for attention. The reasons ‘Peter Singer’ gave are just his personal cry for attention.

Is he some higher up vegetarian? They give him a robe and pray to him at special events or something? lol

just messin with you man.

As you can tell tho I am ANTI VEG.

DG

when non-animal sources provide me with LOTS of COMPLETE protein from one or two foods together in one meal sitting then i’ll go vegan

since that is impossible i won’t be switching

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Being stupid is never worthy of respect. If they are right about it being the healthiest way to live their life then so be it, but just just because you choose to live in the dark ages because you can’t handle the conflicting morality of todays society doesn’t mean you deserve respect.

[/quote]

How exactly are vegans “being stupid” for refusing to eat meat and animal products? I don’t get it.

Speaking as a child raised in a vegan family, anything vegans/vegetarians say is utter horseshit.

Biologically humans have canines, forward facing eyes, glutamine taste receptors, and an intestine that rocks at breaking down and absorbing meat. Vegans ignore all of this in favor of an “ideology.”

I want to say this clearly. THERE IS NO NEGATIVE EFFECT FROM EATING MEAT! (barring some weird-ass extreme circumstance, and if you have to resort to using that, then your argument has lost anyway.)

And the reasons are so fucking stupid too.
1.) Health reasons. - Science proves you wrong!
2.) Animal rights. - Support animal-friendly farms then, don’t just take your dollars out of the system.
3.) Moral reasons - You fucktard
4.) Increased performance. -Science again, sorry.

The only reason I see as being acceptable as a vegan is if you simply don’t like meat for no reason other than you don’t like the taste and you don’t care about your physical self.

Outside of that - no, you lose.