T Nation

Vastus Lateralis

How and why would this muscle become inhibited. Also, how do you reactivate it?

I recently noticed that many other people have a V like shape of there quad near the knee. I can see my VMO pretty well, but the lateral Muscle is almost non existant.

I suspect this is in part causing my knee trouble :slight_smile:

Also, what are those machines called that have little pads that stimulate your muscles with electricity called? :smiley:

Keep doing squats and you will start to see them. It may take a little while but you will start to see them.

The trick is to get your feet slightly forward. Sit down on the end of a bench or box.

After eight months I’m just now starting to see hints of the inner. The outer was clearly visible after just a few weeks.

Do deadlifts also.

that’s weird, a friend of mine, who is weaker in every way, has very clear lateral and medial muscles on his quads. Idk, it’s weird :slight_smile:

thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

[quote]Jagrazor wrote:
How and why would this muscle become inhibited. Also, how do you reactivate it?

I recently noticed that many other people have a V like shape of there quad near the knee. I can see my VMO pretty well, but the lateral Muscle is almost non existant.

I suspect this is in part causing my knee trouble :slight_smile:

Also, what are those machines called that have little pads that stimulate your muscles with electricity called? :D[/quote]

EMS, but they aren’t designed to stimulate individual muscles within a muscle group (such as the vastus lateralis) atleast I haven’t seen a program for them. They are also pricey as hell (don’t look at the ones for 100, ones with enough frequency and power will cost you a pretty penny).\

It is possible however that you have a medial rotation in your knee (they point in maybe?). From a leverage point I think that that would place more empahsis on the Vastus Intermedials and medialis, and of couse the rectus femuris as well, instead of leveraging itself out proportionately. Again I can’t make any conclusions without seeing pictures.

Finally, maybe you just aren’t genetically predispossed to have a large Lateral head? I don’t want to act like I know enough about genetics, but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible.

[quote]njbigguy wrote:
Keep doing squats and you will start to see them. It may take a little while but you will start to see them.

The trick is to get your feet slightly forward. Sit down on the end of a bench or box.

After eight months I’m just now starting to see hints of the inner. The outer was clearly visible after just a few weeks.[/quote]

I’m confused, so you had a defined lateral but not medial vastus?

I thought that was common.

When I started losing weight a few years ago, and also started getting stronger, first the outer (medialis) became visible, then the inner (lateralis) finally I could see the upper one (intermedius) after about a year.

I also have knee problems, my legs point out, and my IT Band always gives me trouble and I have to stretch it a lot. It kept me from running for over a year and I am just starting to run again but I have to do a lot of RICE on my knees after any cardio or leg day. Argh.

You’ve got those switched; the medialis is on the inside, the lateralis on the outside.

Stay strong
MR

[quote]chrisb71 wrote:

When I started losing weight a few years ago, and also started getting stronger, first the outer (medialis) became visible, then the inner (lateralis) finally I could see the upper one (intermedius) after about a year.

[/quote]

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:
You’ve got those switched; the medialis is on the inside, the lateralis on the outside.

Stay strong
MR

chrisb71 wrote:

[/quote]
2nd guy on the thread to do it too, I thought I was going retarded

[quote]Mike Robertson wrote:

Stay strong
MR

chrisb71 wrote:

[/quote]

how exactly did you see the intermedius muscle head? did you mean you saw your rectus femuris? if i’m not mistaken the intermedius is tucked behind the rectus femuris between the lateralis and medialis vastus

If he saw the intermedius he’s either a genetic feak or something is really wrong with the guy!

Stay strong
MR

Oh nevermind I realize that is the rectus femorus that is the 3rd head above the others. :slight_smile:

Yeah I switched the other two. Damn and I was looking at a chart when I wrote it. Oh well.