T Nation

Vasectomy and Lifting

Do any of you know the amount of time you would have to lay off the weights after having this procedure???

I was sore for a couple of day after the “snip.” If your doctor didn’t give you any guidelines, I’d wait until the discomfort goes away. I was more concerned about whether it still worked after the procedure than if I was gong to have to wait a day or so to work out again.

If you have not had it done yet, just max out in the gym the day before and just kick back for a couple of days.

Fred

Take at least a week off from any lifting or cardio activity. Even lay off any unnecessary walking or standing for prolonged periods during this week. That will give your body the best chance to heal. After a week gradually begin to phase back in your work outs. Go easy at first and take at least another week or two to get back to your normal lifting routine.

Another good tip is to use a cold compress on your nut sack during the initial week after you have the procedure. That will minimize any swelling and help to speed the healing process.

[quote]Irish Grip wrote:
I was sore for a couple of day after the “snip.” If your doctor didn’t give you any guidelines, I’d wait until the discomfort goes away. I was more concerned about whether it still worked after the procedure than if I was gong to have to wait a day or so to work out again.

If you have not had it done yet, just max out in the gym the day before and just kick back for a couple of days.

Fred[/quote]

I’ll second this post and add that you will probably know when you should lift or not by the way they feel.

I went 2 weeks without lifting due to residual achiness in my nads. Then again, I didn’t have the best experience with my procedure (local anesthesia didn’t really work - ouch). It all depends on how well things go and how well you feel. I have friends who had no problems whatsoever doing light physical activity just 1-2 days later.

DB

You’ll definitely know by feel.

But no worries about it affecting your strength, one of my clients (50 yr. old) had a vasectomy at the beginning of April and is now PRing left and right!

By week 2 you should be fine.

I felt like someone kicked me in the balls and had belly and thigh aches for 2 days.

Thanx guys, not going in until the 24th, just getting a tad nervous about it all.

Make sure you watch the needle as it penetrates the sack…it’s heavenly.

Oh… and be prepared to have your cock taped to your stomach, and a genital cuff device applied to the nads!

Sorry bro…had to do it.

I was so full of tension throughout my surgery when I got up there was a huge sweat stain and outline of my legs and ass on the operating chair!!!

I recommend taking a valium before hand.