Vascularity

What makes those purdy viens pop out like a heroin junkies?

Bodyfat levels I know. Also, a solid pump in the gym’ll bring them out (creatine, and yes, even the dreaded NO supps help a little).

What about tng type though; high rep for extra capilary growth? or really fukin’ heavy?

Vascularity is an issue of muscle size, leanness, and genetics. Your blood vessels grow to match the needs of the surrounding tissue. Someone with 21" muscular arms will no doubt need more blood supply than some guy with 15" arms. Someone in contest shape will no doubt see more veins than someone bulked up in the off season. Lastly, some people simply show more veins subcutaneously than others.

Flexing after a set and posing help improve vasularity.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Vascularity is an issue of muscle size, leanness, and genetics. Your blood vessels grow to match the needs of the surrounding tissue. Someone with 21" muscular arms will no doubt need more blood supply than some guy with 15" arms. Someone in contest shape will no doubt see more veins than someone bulked up in the off season. Lastly, some people simply show more veins subcutaneously than others.[/quote]

Do you feel that tng type has anything to do with it?

Last winter while I was tng very heavy I finally started seeing networks of veins on my chest/anterior delts.

Now that I’m leaner (I actually maintained bodywieght during the cut,so don’t you worry Prof) those veins are still visible but don’t really “pop out” of the skin, even while very pumped.

On high rep days my arms get very vascular, much more so now that I’m leaner, but chest/delts? Same as when they were covered in more fat. I still do maintain one very heavy fullbody workout/week in addition to the mid/high rep days.

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:
Professor X wrote:
Vascularity is an issue of muscle size, leanness, and genetics. Your blood vessels grow to match the needs of the surrounding tissue. Someone with 21" muscular arms will no doubt need more blood supply than some guy with 15" arms. Someone in contest shape will no doubt see more veins than someone bulked up in the off season. Lastly, some people simply show more veins subcutaneously than others.

Last winter while I was tng very heavy I finally started seeing networks of veins on my chest/anterior delts.

Now that I’m leaner (I actually maintained bodywieght during the cut,so don’t you worry Prof) those veins are still visible but don’t really “pop out” of the skin, even while very pumped.

On high rep days my arms get very vascular, much more so now that I’m leaner, but chest/delts? Same as when they were covered in more fat. I still do maintain one very heavy fullbody workout/week in addition to the mid/high rep days.[/quote]

What the hell does “TNG” mean?

Beyond that, this is BLOOD we are talking about. Yes, getting a pump in your muscles causes veins to stand out more because there is more BLOOD in the area.

If your looking for temporary vascularity, a couple glasses of wine do it for me.

More superficial venous blood pressure causes those subcutaneous veins to distend more. The pump you get in the arms compresses the deeper veins temporarily, so the blood return is redirected to superficial (visible) veins.

If it means a lot to you to see these veins more often, try to make sure you are well hydrated and have adequate salt intake. The deeper veins in the core are less likely to get compressed by your pump, and less likely to show. To try to get those to show, use more core exercises to increase intrathoracic and intraabdominal pressure.

Don’t expect too much by comparing to competition day bodybuilders. Those BB competitors and cover models cut pretty hard to get that kind of vascularity, and many dehydrate themselves to thin the skin out even more.

That sounds contradictory to keeping hydrated, I know. But staying hydrated is the best bet for regular day-to-day vascularity and supporting your training.

Also, those guys get the most vascularity when posing, because the increased internal core pressure inhibits venous flow return and causes the veins to distend more.

Stimulants will increase your vasularity by raising blood pressure and pulse, also; caffiene, ephedra, and the like, but I am not condoning their use.

Soldierslim wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Beyond that, this is BLOOD we are talking about. Yes, getting a pump in your muscles causes veins to stand out more because there is more BLOOD in the area.[/quote]

“TNG”=“training” in military jargon.

Besides that, I’m simply asking a question that is interesting to me. You know, sometimes people just like to know how things work simply for the sake of it. Thanks for your elaborate explanation. :slight_smile:

[quote]cbeefyt wrote:
If your looking for temporary vascularity, a couple glasses of wine do it for me. [/quote]

Interesting, I’ve heard about this before.

Professor X wrote:
Soldierslim wrote:
Professor X wrote:

Beyond that, this is BLOOD we are talking about. Yes, getting a pump in your muscles causes veins to stand out more because there is more BLOOD in the area.

“TNG”=“training” in military jargon.

[/quote]

Not that I’ve seen. That is usually called “PT”. Anywhoo, yes, the type of training you do could effect your vascularity. Yes, training heavier and harder would lead to more size gains and more vascularity to support it.

I’ll second this. Perhaps it’s the alcohol, but whenever I drink beer, or any liquor or that matter, I get really vascular. I also seem to have a pump going, like my muscles are bloated similar to after a carb-load. I remember being at a party last year after having a couple brews and looking in the bathroom mirror washing my hands brought out veins like I just got done lifting.

JC

cbeefyt wrote:
If your looking for temporary vascularity, a couple glasses of wine do it for me.

Interesting, I’ve heard about this before.[/quote]

[quote]Patrick Williams wrote:
More superficial venous blood pressure causes those subcutaneous veins to distend more. The pump you get in the arms compresses the deeper veins temporarily, so the blood return is redirected to superficial (visible) veins.

If it means a lot to you to see these veins more often, try to make sure you are well hydrated and have adequate salt intake. The deeper veins in the core are less likely to get compressed by your pump, and less likely to show. To try to get those to show, use more core exercises to increase intrathoracic and intraabdominal pressure.

Don’t expect too much by comparing to competition day bodybuilders. Those BB competitors and cover models cut pretty hard to get that kind of vascularity, and many dehydrate themselves to thin the skin out even more.

That sounds contradictory to keeping hydrated, I know. But staying hydrated is the best bet for regular day-to-day vascularity and supporting your training.

Also, those guys get the most vascularity when posing, because the increased internal core pressure inhibits venous flow return and causes the veins to distend more.

Stimulants will increase your vasularity by raising blood pressure and pulse, also; caffiene, ephedra, and the like, but I am not condoning their use. [/quote]

Sodium intake huh? Doesn’t excess sodium contribute to extra-cellular bloat? If it does, then it seems like it’d be counterproductive to visible vascularity.

I’m assuming that the veins on my chest/delts are less superficial because they become more visible with very heavy tng. Kinda like how neck veins usually only become visible during heavy-ass deadlifts. Would this be due to increased intrathoracic blood preassure?

Anyways, it’s not like I’m tng for vascularity or anything, it’s just interesting is all. I don’t plan on getting lean enough to get very vascular any time soon either, I just wanted to get a slightly blurry 4-pack going, and after I did, I noticed the vascularity discrepancies with different bodyparts.

There is actually a muscular wall about 1 cell thick within veins. Causing EXCESSIVE blood flooding can actually hypertrophy these cells. In other words if you finish a set of heavy bicep curls, flex your bis off until they feel like they will pop. Also expect your strength to be diminished a little bit after flexing. Another thing too is to keep warm. Your body will actually send blood to the more surfaced veins to cool the body. And I acutally know a guy who drinks a bottle of wine prior to going on stage for vascularity. He swears by it.

i think genetics is being too overlooked here.

personally, i always wanted those veins running down the biceps. for the longest time i could just lightly touch my arm and feel it raised up, but it wasnt visible, even in the gym with my arms very tight and the vein feeling quite raised, it wasnt prominent in a mirror…i suppose i needed a couple more years and some more muscle…

someone also commented on the neck veins only during deads- i think thats a great example of it being genetic…my bicep veins were about the last to show up, but practically any time i so much as raise my arm ive got several veins across my neck and traps quite visibly raised- first noticed brushing my teeth years ago, and since then the thickness/amount of veins has only increased.

In my experience, after eating I have no noticable vascularity. I’m guessing it’s because of the blood flowing to the stomach for digestion.

[quote]kevbo wrote:
In my experience, after eating I have no noticable vascularity. I’m guessing it’s because of the blood flowing to the stomach for digestion.[/quote]

It’s called para-sympathetic division.

You can actually lose as much as 66% of the blood within skeletal muscle during digestion.

Yet another issue that falls under “build bigger muscles and lower your body fat”

Other common questions:

“How do I get a 6 pack?”

“How do I improve my bicep peak?”

“How do I get more seperation in my pecs?”

Soldierslim wrote:
Professor X wrote:

On high rep days my arms get very vascular, much more so now that I’m leaner, but chest/delts? Same as when they were covered in more fat. I still do maintain one very heavy fullbody workout/week in addition to the mid/high rep days.

Beyond that, this is BLOOD we are talking about. Yes, getting a pump in your muscles causes veins to stand out more because there is more BLOOD in the area.[/quote]

That is Wrong

Like yourself, most people think (and are taught) that the pumped feeling you get while training is a result of increased blood flow into the muscle. This is wrong.

The full and tight feeling, the pump, after a set or workout is not the result of increased blood flow into the muscle. This pump is actually the result of “trapped” blood within the muscle. When a muscle contracts the actual fiber diameter increases as it shortens. This muscle contraction exerts an “inward” force upon itself. This inward force temporarily shuts off vascular activity that blocks blood flow out of the particular muscle group being trained.

When this happens, an increase in blood pressure occurs as an attempt to clear the backed up blood from the congested capillaries and into the maze of interstitial spaces of the muscle cells. As a result of this congestion, a muscular pump prevails.

As you can now see obtaining a muscle pump has nothing to do with increased blood flow into the muscle, but rather a temporary entrapment of blood within the muscle. So you are not increasing the blood flow into the muscle you are decreasing the blood flow out of the muscle while at the same time increasing blood pressure.

This should clearly indicate why a muscle pump has nothing directly to do with muscle growth. This is yet another myth ignorantly propagated by the magazines and gym gurus. Like many things in weight training and bodybuilding, it seems right but it’s not.

Peace

K of K

[quote]King of Kings wrote:

That is Wrong

Like yourself, most people think (and are taught) that the pumped feeling you get while training is a result of increased blood flow into the muscle. This is wrong.

The full and tight feeling, the pump, after a set or workout is not the result of increased blood flow into the muscle. This pump is actually the result of “trapped” blood within the muscle.[/quote]

Genius, I didn’t write “blood flow”. I wrote there is more blood in the area. You just wrote the same. Tell me again, what was wrong with what I wrote?

[quote]
This should clearly indicate why a muscle pump has nothing directly to do with muscle growth. This is yet another myth ignorantly propagated by the magazines and gym gurus. Like many things in weight training and bodybuilding, it seems right but it’s not.

Peace

K of K[/quote]

Who the fuck wrote that a pump equals muscle growth?